Toronto FC: TFC 2024 Season

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Canada is now 51st in the world after last night (the expected result).

Moving on will obviously depend on how Canada does against the other two, but the setup here is like the World Cup, where Canada started with the best team and then faced lesser opponents.

The biggest keys for the next two games are capitalizing on chances (they let too many get away) and approaching the games the same way that they did against Argentina (they was a letdown after the Belgium game in the World Cup).

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Can someone explain how VAR work? If its a questionable call why does the ref call up? Shouldn’t the refs decide whether to look at a questionable goal? It seems like soccer has an extra step. Strange process.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Can someone explain how VAR work? If its a questionable call why does the ref call up? Shouldn’t the refs decide whether to look at a questionable goal? It seems like soccer has an extra step. Strange process.
VAR reviews close plays but have restrictions on what they can do. They can call offside and penalties (the play in the 1st half was determined to be outside the box, not a non-foul).

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Argh if the they call upstairs why aren’t they making the decision lmao. It just happened. Obviously if upstairs tells the ref to look then its the wrong or right call. Brutal. Why doesn’t upstairs call it lol no need for the ref.

I feel like TFC has lost a good amount of their audience. Does anyone have data on this?

After they went woke during the BLM riots + the apple subscription + being terrible, I think many people fell off.
And the weirdest part is once inawhile they are on TSN *shrug*. They definitely lost me just when I was starting to enjoy and watch games.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
We played better than I expected against Argentina. However, with the next two games coming up against lesser opponents, there's no more room for moral victories.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
We played better than I expected against Argentina. However, with the next two games coming up against lesser opponents, there's no more room for moral victories.
If we continue the troubling trend of not finishing our chances, we'll be out after game 2. Peru is physical and experienced and can muck out a 1-0 win .

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Heading into the Peru match tomorrow, there are 5 FIFA ranking scenarios:

ResultPeru changeCanada change
Peru wins Canada+15.53 (1529.91)-15.53 (1439.97)
Peru wins (penalty) Canada+6.78 (1521.16)1.97 (1457.47)
Peru draws Canada-1.97 (1512.41)+1.97 (1457.47)
Peru loses (penalty) Canada-1.97 (1512.41)+10.72 (1466.22)
Peru loses Canada-19.47 (1494.91)+19.47 (1474.97)

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Some odds and ends:

With a loss, Canada would not be able to make the knockout round.

With a win or draw, Canada would have a chance to move on (and the tiebreaker is goal differential of all 3 games).

If Canada were to advance, they would face the winner of Venezuela-Mexico tomorrow.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
It was scary at times, but Canada gets the result.

Now the only need a draw against Chile, but should be the favorite for that game too.

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
Crazy game. Happy with the 3 points, but that was a roller coaster. Quite a few Canadian players look not nearly as good as they did in the World Cup qualifying run. Buchanan, Larin, Laryea, even David aside from his goal. I thought they would play better.

Also that ref was all over the place. Blatant head butt goes unpunished. Let’s lots of rough play go…. Then starts calling tight barely fouls… then puts the whistle away. Wtf.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
It was scary at times, but Canada gets the result.

Now the only need a draw against Chile, but should be the favorite for that game too.
We're not favorite against Chile. If we play this poorly against Chile, they'll punish us.

If we play as well as we know we can, we can get a result. But we have a lot of work to do.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
We're not favorite against Chile. If we play this poorly against Chile, they'll punish us.

If we play as well as we know we can, we can get a result. But we have a lot of work to do.
Canada was the betting line favorite against Peru and WILL be against Chile.

Here are the up-to-date world rankings: FIFA national team ranking - LIVE

If Canada can pull off the win against Chile, they will leap both Peru (assuming that Argentina doesn't lay an egg) and Chile. Also, the Canada game is after the Argentina game, so we will know if 1st is on the line (if Argentina loses, first tie-breaker is GD). If Peru wins, Canada has to win (but has a shot at 1st if they can erase the 4 goal differential). If Peru draws or loses, Canada only needs a draw.

It's hard to tell exactly where they would fall (because other teams are playing, but they would instantly jump into the top 40)

A note for the knockout rounds. Anyone that moves on cannot receive negative points in a knockout game so it is either gain or nothing. There is no shootout, but if Chile could somehow beat Canada in one, that would actually bump Canada ahead of them too (because of how the ELO system works).

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Argentina played with their food, last night, so to speak. They should've scored 3 or 4, but were incredibly wasteful.

Chile won't be easy, but it's lining up that we'll just need a draw. Canada has wasted a tonne of chances as well, and that needs to change

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Argentina played with their food, last night, so to speak. They should've scored 3 or 4, but were incredibly wasteful.

Chile won't be easy, but it's lining up that we'll just need a draw. Canada has wasted a tonne of chances as well, and that needs to change
Yes, but one take away from all of that is that Chile lost 1-0 with Messi banged up the whole game. Canada faced Messi's A game and kept it close.

At the end of the day, Canada has to capitalize, but there is a path to moving on.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Canada was the betting line favorite against Peru and WILL be against Chile.

Here are the up-to-date world rankings: FIFA national team ranking - LIVE
Fifa rankings don't really tell us much about actual team quality.

Chile is like a better version of Peru to me. They also have an ageing core of players that. Names like Bravo, Sanchez, & Vargas still play a big role on the team. Unlike Peru though, the older core of players is still somewhat useful, plus the next generation is starting to emerge. Osario is a scary good talent for them.

I think we can get he result to go to the knockouts, but it's not going to be smooths sailing imo.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Fifa rankings don't really tell us much about actual team quality.

Chile is like a better version of Peru to me. They also have an ageing core of players that. Names like Bravo, Sanchez, & Vargas still play a big role on the team. Unlike Peru though, the older core of players is still somewhat useful, plus the next generation is starting to emerge. Osario is a scary good talent for them.

I think we can get he result to go to the knockouts, but it's not going to be smooths sailing imo.
I would never argue that it would be. Canada came into this tournament as a 4th bin team for a reason.

I am just arguing that Canada should have the bookmakers liking them against Chile again.

One huge change I'd like to see is Shaffelburg starting. His speed has absolutely torn Argentina and Peru to shreds.

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
Oh the Chile game will be a dog fight.

It will be like the Peru game only tougher as the Chilean team has more skill and pedigree.

The skeptic / realist in me is not expecting much. I think these South American teams don't respect Canada and will play the game as such. they will be physical and dirty at times. and the crowd will be very pro-Chilean as well. It will be an intense atmosphere and a tough test for our guys.

I'm hopeful though. They have shown over the last couple years that they are a good team and can have moments of greatness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad