NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I'd imagine Boyd got the interim gig because he was the only guy on staff that has experience in the role. It's hard to go out in October/November and hire a chief scout; they're all already working. So you work with what you've got.

I'm anticipating some pretty substantial change on this front over the summer.

One area the Sens have really fallen behind is their European scouting. Since Vaclav Burda [RIP] and Anders Forsberg booked out they've really struggled here, with the exception of Stutzle. Also need some guys who value skills and intelligence more to balance out the size queens a bit.
Yeah there needs to be some serious movement there, the way they are operating now isn't very inspiring

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Was the backup plan to Yakemchuk it seems, which is a worrying thought about the scouting staff

Beaudin that is worriesome I mean, an already very low opinion and trust in the scouting staff would take another hit with that
The also crazy part is they “alledgedly” didn’t think yakemchuk would be there at 7. So they had yakemchuk HIGH. Higher than anyone. And they had beaudoin definitely higher than anyone

I mean not out of the realm they had both in their top 7

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
You can find an abundance of those traits on July 1st every year.

It’s insane how we haven’t changed our scouting one bit in 4 years.
I'm not so sure this is true. This sort of discourse - that you can always trade for size and physicality - was one that dominated the online hockey fandom sphere for many years, and at one point it was probably true. Not so much anymore.

Things have changed. Nowadays the rare player is the big, physical player that plays a 'playoff style' game. The easy to acquire player is the point producing winger or puck-moving defenseman - plenty of those guys on the market July 1st.

Lots of Tomas Tatar's and Shayne Gostisbehere's on the market. Not so many Boone Jenner's and Josh Manson's.

The Sens scouting staff needs some balance.

R2010

May 23, 2011
The also crazy part is they “alledgedly” didn’t think yakemchuk would be there at 7. So they had yakemchuk HIGH. Higher than anyone. And they had beaudoin definitely higher than anyone

I mean not out of the realm they had both in their top 7

We can't know they had him higher than anyone. McCagg who admitedly hasn't been very good the last few years but undoubtedly has some connections, was stating pretty clearly on a podcast earlier in the week that Anaheim at #3 really liked Sennett and Yakemchuk.

4/10 of Bob's scouts had him top 10. Pronman also mentioned that people around the league were higher on him than public lists.

All this is to say that we shouldn't be surprised if in a year like this there's other teams who had him top 5.

Even if I disagree with that ranking..

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
We can't know they had him higher than anyone. McCagg who admitedly hasn't been very good the last few years but undoubtedly has some connections, was stating pretty clearly on a podcast earlier in the week that Anaheim at #3 really liked Sennett and Yakemchuk.

4/10 of Bob's scouts had him top 10. Pronman also mentioned that people around the league were higher on him than public lists.

All this is to say that we shouldn't be surprised if in a year like this there's other teams who had him top 5.

Even if I disagree with that ranking..
Going back to the Karlsson days, we really really do seem to have an overlap on the players our Scouts like.

Weird.

Reactions: R2010

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I’m scared of what silayev buium and dickinson are going to become.

But I guess we were convinced Sanderson and Kleven were locked in so what can you do.
(Maybe andonovski becomes a real shut down guy for the bottom pair)

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I'd imagine Boyd got the interim gig because he was the only guy on staff that has experience in the role. It's hard to go out in October/November and hire a chief scout; they're all already working. So you work with what you've got.

I'm anticipating some pretty substantial change on this front over the summer.

One area the Sens have really fallen behind is their European scouting. Since Vaclav Burda [RIP] and Anders Forsberg booked out they've really struggled here, with the exception of Stutzle. Also need some guys who value skills and intelligence more to balance out the size queens a bit.

What's baffling is why Dorion didn't address the issue sooner. Trent Mann was let go after the draft last year, and presumably Dorion knew that change was going to be made well before then. Did he just not think to hire a new head scout?

Regardless of what happens this year, the staff needs new blood. We've been a middling team at the draft for a while now.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
What's baffling is why Dorion didn't address the issue sooner. Trent Mann was let go after the draft last year, and presumably Dorion knew that change was going to be made well before then. Did he just not think to hire a new head scout?

Regardless of what happens this year, the staff needs new blood. We've been a middling team at the draft for a while now.

Dorion left a lot of nasty surprises behind.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I’m scared of what silayev buium and dickinson are goingto become.

But I guess we were convinced Sanderson and Kleven were locked in so what can you do.
(Maybe andonovski becomes a real shut down guy for the bottom pair)
Sanderson sure. Kleven is kinda irrelevant since I don’t really think he’s projected to be a top 4 guy. Who knows what Chabot’s future will be?

Last edited:

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008

Crazy that Dorion did something impulsive and reactionary. That's not like him at all!

I wonder who we will pick tomorrow in round two?
Gill/Miettinen/Kleber/Berglund/Wetsch/Lavoie/Masse/Eliasson

Feel like it's a good chance it'll be one of those players - they all fit the profile.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Crazy that Dorion did something impulsive and reactionary. That's not like him at all!

Gill/Miettinen/Kleber/Berglund/Wetsch/Lavoie/Masse/Eliasson

Feel like it's a good chance it'll be one of those players - they all fit the profile.
We’re extremely lacking offensively skilled forward prospects. Even with their drafting philosophy, they can’t just ignore this.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Sanderson sure. Kleven is kinda irrelevant since I don’t really think he’s projected to be a top 4 guy. Who knows what Chabot’s future will be?
I’m high on Kleven and optimistic he can be a top 4.
We’ll see
Plenty of time. 2 years before yak gets to Ottawa and chabot is here in the meantime barring a trade.

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
We’re extremely lacking offensively skilled forward prospects. Even with their drafting philosophy, they can’t just ignore this.
The Senators are lacking pretty much everything prospect wise.

There just aren't a lot of high-skill forwards to take. I think we can confidently assume they won't take Chernyshov or Artamonov. Teddy Stiga is the type of player they typically avoid. Beyond that I'm not sure who else fits the 'skilled forward' mold.

Second round looks like it's shaping up to be pretty defense heavy.

Reactions: Senator Stanley

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I'd like to take a flyer on Raoul Boilard.

Top 6 skill, IQ and size. Put up close to a PPG playing on a deep Drakker team. 57% on faceoffs too.

Inconsistent and effort level wavers, but there's a lot of upside with him.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
While I don’t like the pic. I strongly disagree with anyone saying thise was another safe pick or “we picked him cuz he’s tough” bs. This is not that if you’ve been begging for high risk high reward then this is your guy. Highest risk in the entire top end of the draft and if he can do in the NHL what he can do in the WHL? Then we have a unicorn

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
While I don’t like the pic. I strongly disagree with anyone saying thise was another safe pick or “we picked him cuz he’s tough” bs. This is not that if you’ve been begging for high risk high reward then this is your guy. Highest risk in the entire top end of the draft and if he can do in the NHL what he can do in the WHL? Then we have a unicorn
It kinda feels like a Logan Brown pick (not in a good or bad way). If he hits you then you’ve got a very special player. If not, then you’re kicking yourself for not taking the guys drafted right after.

I think he’s still a 3rd pairinng guy if he “busts” though, unlike Brown.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Was the backup plan to Yakemchuk it seems, which is a worrying thought about the scouting staff

Beaudin that is worriesome I mean, an already very low opinion and trust in the scouting staff would take another hit with that
No it wasn't it was a random nobodies tweet that they didn't do you guys are taking as fact. I know for a fact that wasn't considered for a second. They liked the player getting picked in the range he got picked in and likely would have been the pick had they kept the Boston pick. They also looked at trading up to pick him with the 2nd pick. Ya'll are just upset with the Yakemchuk pick and want to sound smart because you haven't liked him for a while.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
According to Seidel they didn't do it because they didn't think Yakemchuk would fall to 7, which is amusing considering he was largely expected to go 10-14.

The Sens scouting staff clearly thinks the rest of the league are idiots. Their lists routinely differ from the consensus to an absurd degree. No idea how they come up with the idea that Beaudoin is deserving of a top 10 selection, and I'm someone who likes him enough to have voted for him in the HF Mock Draft when we still had pick 25.

There's been zero self-reflection after picking Boucher top 10 and Thomson top 20. They still think they are the smartest people in the room even though it's been proved otherwise at this point.

Also I don't hate Yakemchuk. I thought he'd be a fine pick in the 13-15 range. Just preferred several other players available at 7. Sens staff picking him 7th did nothing to change my mind considering I watched Yakemchuk a ton this year, just like it didn't when I criticized the Boucher/Thomson picks when they were made.
You've lost it. That's Cole Beaudoin's biggest fan. He made up a fictional scenario that didn't happen and isn't true. And you're calling them idiots for it. Get a grip. That guy retweeted Beaudoin got drafted 15 times in a row.

Yakemchuk was never going 10 to 14. Ever. 6'3 205 RHD who score 30 goals and 71 points on bad teams who play with an edge who can dangle and snipe don't get picked outside of the top 10.

Lastly the sens did like the player to get picked pretty much where he got picked. They had a pick in that range up to a few days ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad