Confirmed with Link: Teravainen and Tyler Bertuzzi to the Hawks

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Bertuzzi is going to remind those with clear memories of regular season Byfuglien.

He’s very inconsistent and very streaky, both in terms of impact and effort. Prepare to be frustrated and elated with him, depending on the week.

He needs PP time to get the most out of production-wise, I would just direct him to park his ass in front of the goalie and whack at rebounds.

Teuvo, of course, is a perfect hockey player. I have no notes.
Byfuglien is one of the weirdest comps for Bertuzzi I've ever seen.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Yes. Bertuzzi brings it every night he's just got horrible edges. Bertuzzi is like a more talented Shaw. Byfuglien is a bizarre comp.
Bertuzzi is very similar to Shaw. The spirit is there but the body isn't big and strong enough to do what he wants it to do. Because of that he was a disappointment in Leafland. I would much rather have had Domi back at a cheaper price tag ... but Domi is where he wants to be.

That said, at least we have a blue-collar guy who is capable of playing in the top 6.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
IMO a better comp for Bertuzzi is Rene Bourque

Good size, can bring it when he wants, has good talent offensively, etc

Just so damn frustrating to watch because like Bourque your left wanting more because you know the talent is there

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I personally think Bertuzzi has become underrated, because of a couple of down years. He was near a point per game player when he had a role and stability in the lineup in Detroit, and was the Bruins best player in the playoffs a couple years ago.

I think he can't put up 70-80pts next to Bedard, and provide good grit along with it.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
IMO a better comp for Bertuzzi is Rene Bourque

Good size, can bring it when he wants, has good talent offensively, etc

Just so damn frustrating to watch because like Bourque your left wanting more because you know the talent is there
Bourque had a bomb of a shot and the effort was always there the brain just wasn't and the hands only flashed every now and then. Another goofy comp.

If we're shoe horning an old Blackhawk comp it's better Kyle Calder.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Bourque had a bomb of a shot and the effort was always there the brain just wasn't and the hands only flashed every now and then. Another goofy comp.

If we're shoe horning an old Blackhawk comp it's better Kyle Calder.

I thought of Calder but size and other aspects of game didn't match

As for Bourque I feel you're not remembering his time with Hawks or career accurately. There was plenty of times his effort was questionable, and it was a major reason he moved around a lot in his career

Flames got best production out of him but also Flame fans were most frustrated by his effort thru his time in Calgary

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I thought of Calder but size and other aspects of game didn't match

As for Bourque I feel you're not remembering his time with Hawks or career accurately. There was plenty of times his effort was questionable
For a dude who loved Vorobiev I can't imagine panning Bourque for a lack of effort. He was a total north south player, he just wasn't very talented.

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
Do you ever get the feeling that Davidson f***ing hated Stan for specific moves? Going to bet he hated the Teuvo trade

We all hated the Teuvo trade. But that is what happens when you negotiate a contract with a player who just had a really good playoffs. You overpay them. When the player comes back down to earth you realize you played yourself.

congrats.gif

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Do you ever get the feeling that Davidson f***ing hated Stan for specific moves? Going to bet he hated the Teuvo trade
So there’s a poster on the Dallas boards who has credible sources and leaks multiple things before they happen. Most recently he called the Suter buyout.

Anyways, I was reading one of his posts a couple of weeks ago and he brought up something that was only a rumor at the time. He confirmed that back at the 2019 nhl draft there was damn near a fist fight at the Hawks draft table.

He didn’t name names, but it was apparently over whether to take Zegras or Dach. You have to wonder if Davidson was involved in that. I figure Stan got Dach because that’s when he decided to draft big no matter what. But I’m curious to see who else was involved, and perhaps the organization at that point was extremely toxic. (Outside of the Kyle Beach stuff)

Reactions: Wally1112pac

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago
So there’s a poster on the Dallas boards who has credible sources and leaks multiple things before they happen. Most recently he called the Suter buyout.

Anyways, I was reading one of his posts a couple of weeks ago and he brought up something that was only a rumor at the time. He confirmed that back at the 2019 nhl draft there was damn near a fist fight at the Hawks draft table.

He didn’t name names, but it was apparently over whether to take Zegras or Dach. You have to wonder if Davidson was involved in that. I figure Stan got Dach because that’s when he decided to draft big no matter what. But I’m curious to see who else was involved, and perhaps the organization at that point was extremely toxic. (Outside of the Kyle Beach stuff)
That seems odd because by draft night I'm sure they knew who they were going with, given the top 2 picks were basically set. Can't imagine it was a surprise or up for debate by that point.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

Zegras isn't a Davidson player whatsoever.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

Dach was a better pick over Zegras

The problem with Dach was they rushed him, and that he's injury prone

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I'd rather have Zegras and wanted him back then...

Kyle fixed that Bickell Story with overpayment and trade. Glad Teuvo is back.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I personally think Bertuzzi has become underrated, because of a couple of down years. He was near a point per game player when he had a role and stability in the lineup in Detroit, and was the Bruins best player in the playoffs a couple years ago.

I think he can't put up 70-80pts next to Bedard, and provide good grit along with it.
I didn't see Bertuzzi play much in Detroit but he was a factor in most games when it comes to his numbers. That version is certainly what Hawks are hoping for.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
We all hated the Teuvo trade. But that is what happens when you negotiate a contract with a player who just had a really good playoffs. You overpay them. When the player comes back down to earth you realize you played yourself.

View attachment 893464
That and said player gets MS is a major problem as well.

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
That and said player gets MS is a major problem as well.

My buddy ended up being diagnosed with MS in his early 30s... grew up playing hockey with him and we actually work together now. For weeks he kept on having symptoms and he works in long term care and has seen some pretty bad outcomes of MS so he was worried sick when he became diagnosed.

Luckily, the type of MS he has isn't a worst case scenario and he's still able to work as an occupational therapist, he referees a bunch of hockey games every winter, works out to maintain his strength and functionality, etc.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
My buddy ended up being diagnosed with MS in his early 30s... grew up playing hockey with him and we actually work together now. For weeks he kept on having symptoms and he works in long term care and has seen some pretty bad outcomes of MS so he was worried sick when he became diagnosed.

Luckily, the type of MS he has isn't a worst case scenario and he's still able to work as an occupational therapist, he referees a bunch of hockey games every winter, works out to maintain his strength and functionality, etc.
Awesome to hear your friend has his quality of life. I had a similar case of a friend/co-worker who was diagnosed at about that same point. He was obviously shocked and had to make some major adjustments to his life, but he's still doing relatively well. They've come so far with treatment, which is awesome. (Holy crap - it is shocking how expensive the treatments are, and will be for the rest of his life!)

Last edited:

Pile

May 5, 2015
Chicago

Not defending Bowman or the contract necessarily, but it's hard to call Bickell's situation a case of "coming back down to earth" given what we know about his diagnoses.. Shitty situation all around.

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
Not defending Bowman or the contract necessarily, but it's hard to call Bickell's situation a case of "coming back down to earth" given what we know about his diagnoses.. Shitty situation all around.

Bickell was a 20-30 point forward for 3 years before he had his great playoffs. He also returned to being a 20-30 point forward after his great playoffs. That is what he was in the NHL. A 20-30 point forward. His contract paid him as if he was a top 6 forward.

We couldn't afford to pay a bottom 6 player 4 mil a season so we had to attach Teuvo to move his contract.

If memory serves me correct (and it might not) Bickell was diagnosed with MS during his time in Carolina. He did not have the disease while he was Chicago. Chicago couldn't have traded him if he did.

This has nothing to do with Bickell and him getting MS. MS is a hell of a disease and I wish him and everyone else that has it the best. This is just about Bowman being leveraged to give a bottom 6 forward a huge contract and in the process helped close our Cup window.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad