Tell me why I shouldn’t worry about the Canucks slipping

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
This is still a well-coached team with some top-end talent, but it also had 83 points 2 years ago with a lot of the same top-end talent.

And I’m seeing some red flags.

It was career years across the board for so many key Canucks last year. Isn’t some regression to the mean likely?

There aren’t a lot of returning players where you could say “that guys got more to give” or up-and-comers giving off the “this kid is going to make a real impact” vibe.

The guys coming in (Debrusk, Heinen, Sprong, Sherwood, Forbert, Desharnais) don’t look as good as the guys that left (Lindholm, Mikheyev, Lafferty, Podkolzin Zadorov, Cole) especially on the blueline.

Two important guys are out to start the season and it’s unclear how much they will be able to contribute. Joshua (and Zadorov) were identity players and IMO Demko is their most important piece.

I mean, on paper, the roster looks like a playoff team, but pretty much everything went right for Vancouver in the regular season last year. Reassure me why the opposite won’t happen this year.

NailsHoglander

Feb 20, 2024
Lindholm isn't even worth mentioning.. He played 26 games and scored 12 points lol

No Demko is a legit concern. That alone could cause a major set back.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Yeah I think they'll be a wild card team or 3rd in the Pacific. The month or two without Demko could really set them back but I don't know if anyone in the west took a big enough step forward to totally knock them out

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Tocchet is the reason just believe and I really think Elias really breaks out this year and is top 5 in scoring. I see 40 plus goals and 70 plus assists for him. We will get stronger as the season goes on. Hopefully we see a Dman added at deadline but were stacked upfront already just need Demko to be healthy especially for the playoffs.

Else Ermine

Jun 1, 2024
OP, please clarify what "slipping" means here?
Not being or President's Trophy contender, not being a playoff team, falling back to 83 points?

They are indeed a well coached team, with some very good players and few key injuries last season. Some PDO watchers in the early season last year blindly claimed they were one of the worst teams in the league and the success was pure luck. Most people agreed they were overachieving and the numbers would regress to the mean, which of course they largely did and remained a well coached team with some very good players that got results some here (who clearly weren't watching) thought beyond them.

They're in a division they should finish in the upper half of. To me a noteworthy "slip" would be to miss the playoffs, and a strong season they push the Oilers in the standings. Nothing in-between should be news because they're one of the many teams where their season will be judged on their degree of playoff success.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
In the Pacific, Oilers, Knights and Kings are still the teams the Canucks should worry about. They just need to focus and edge past one of those 3 teams.

Flames, Kraken, Ducks and Sharks shouldn't be concerns barring a major collapse by the Canucks. As long as the Canucks plod along around where they are expected to be, they'll be OK.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
This season will likely be another building block season.

Depth wise we got better upfront. Debrusk, Sherwood, Heinen, and Sprong are all upgrades over Mikheyev, Lafferty and Podkolzin.

Defense definitely took a hit but what would be worse is signing Zadorov to a 5-6 year 5-6M deal he was supposedly looking for. Ian Cole was good to start the year but the guy simply ran out of gas as the year went on. Desharnais should provide good depth and bring some of that physicality Zadorov had in sheltered minutes.

I can assure you 99% of Canucks fans think our team looks better on paper than last seasons. Whether we achieve the same level of success is a different matter. Being healthy and avoiding injuries to star players being the main contributing factor.

And our defense I can assure you won’t look like that mid way through the season.

The real question remains is Demko.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
worrying-is-like-a-rocking-chair-ryan-reynolds.gif

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
but it also had 83 points 2 years ago with a lot of the same top-end talent.

There has been a seismic shift in the organization's standards, preparation, and execution now that Rutherford/Allvin have been able to exorcize the demons of the last management and bring in a coach that is actually able to create an accountability structure and system that isn't unsustainable and flimsy like Green/Boudreau before him.

That's probably the biggest reason why some of us aren't feeling like they are a one off team like the Boudreau Bump season. There is a certain level of professionalism and high standards top to bottom for the first time since the Mike Gillis era Canucks, the goal is no longer to "make the playoffs and see what happens".

Reactions: Szechwan

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
You are more than welcome to worry about the Canucks slipping, I don't think anyone is too concerned about outside projections after the last year or so.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Team really meshed well together last year and saw a ton of things go right.

Coaching bump.
Hughes, Hronek, Boeser and Miller were rather healthy. No real significant injuries to key guys either.
Demko had a decent year.
Edmonton had a crap start. Vegas got bent over hard by injuries. Calgary, LA, San Jose, Seattle and Anaheim really sucked.

Offense appears to be somewhat improved but there's huge question marks on the blueline and in goal right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad