Team name poll

Which of these do you like the best?

• Total voters

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
I hate that. Just a dumb move. How can you build a brand when you don't have a brand? Any of the options in the bracket are better than nothing. We're going to be mocked for this and fully deserve it.

Edit: Hopefully, at the least, the name is selected and it's just needing more time to figure out a logo. This can be acceptable if we're the Utah Yeti (or whatever name) and the jersey just says Utah. But we still have an actual name.
might be a smart move. year 1, people buy the utah jerseys and other merch. year 2, name is announced, everyone buys new stuff with the team name. year 5, the utah jersey is now a reverse retro.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The survey system isn't very sophisticated. I was able to vote 3 times, just using a different network - my macbook, my phone, and my work computer.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I like something simple like this if it's Outlaws. Doesn't needs to have a weapon or skulls or cards or something. Some subtle elements like mountains or trees or an outline of Utah in the negative space would be cool.

360_F_489698584_Rkzx8n7BYh8AA9TWUd8ngJpiQsW3r3ki.jpg

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I hate that. Just a dumb move. How can you build a brand when you don't have a brand? Any of the options in the bracket are better than nothing. We're going to be mocked for this and fully deserve it.

Edit: Hopefully, at the least, the name is selected and it's just needing more time to figure out a logo. This can be acceptable if we're the Utah Yeti (or whatever name) and the jersey just says Utah. But we still have an actual name.
Agree.

This is an unforced error. They know Yeti is winning. We all know Yeti is winning. They need to just expedite this polling/bracket charade. And simultaneously be working on a Yeti brand with D&C.

They ought to have a name but draft day and a logo by training camp.

I like Black Diamonds but there are at least a half dozen on that list that would be good imo.

I want Utah to get the name THEY want.
Black Diamonds is by far my favorite.

The survey system isn't very sophisticated. I was able to vote 3 times, just using a different network - my macbook, my phone, and my work computer.
Same. I do wonder if they’re just filtering later.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I wonder what the snag is in a name being unlikely until 2025-26. Hold up with the manufacturer? Design agency? Wanting to double dip on jersey sales?

I would think this survey software makes it so the name selection process doesn't drag on. How much time do you really need?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Also, if the team name is supposed to be "chosen by the fans", why are people from outside of Utah allowed to vote? A large majority of the fans will be from Utah. I realize there are still ways around it but setting it up so you need a Utah IP address and zip code in order to vote would have been nice. I don't like the idea of fans of other teams being allowed to vote on this.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
Agree.

This is an unforced error. They know Yeti is winning. We all know Yeti is winning. They need to just expedite this polling/bracket charade. And simultaneously be working on a Yeti brand with D&C.

They ought to have a name but draft day and a logo by training camp.

Black Diamonds is by far my favorite.

Same. I do wonder if they’re just filtering later.
Is it an error though? Go basic in year 1, sell a bunch of inaugural merch, then year 2 bring on the excitement with the new branding, sell more merch.

rt

May 13, 2004
Is it an error though? Go basic in year 1, sell a bunch of inaugural merch, then year 2 bring on the excitement with the new branding, sell more merch.
I think the old saying is you only get one chance to make a first impression. I think they need to take full advantage of the initial momentum they have. I don’t think you can bank momentum. Saving a bit for later.

Being referred to as “The Utah whatevers” by everyone for the entirety of their inaugural season will cost them, I believe. We paid a huge price in Arizona for inviting scoffers to mock us. We’ve seen how important perception is. Why do that again if you don’t have to? There’s a real cost to being a laughing stock.

You’ll sell more jerseys if they’re good jerseys with a popular name. There will be more people ready to hop on that bandwagon now than a year from now. Why plan to rebuild momentum later? Just ride it as far as you can while you have it right now.

Using your logic, I would say it’s better to release a C+/B- brand this summer and then in 5yrs (or whenever is the earliest allowable) rebrand and sell new merch then. If you want to double dip, there’s less expensive ways to do it than blowing your initial brand launch.

I view this as a critical time for the future so the franchise.

Also, if the team name is supposed to be "chosen by the fans", why are people from outside of Utah allowed to vote? A large majority of the fans will be from Utah. I realize there are still ways around it but setting it up so you need an Utah IP address and zip code in order to vote would have been nice. I don't like the idea of fans of other teams being allowed to vote on this.
I’m hoping when they move this into brackets they lock it down to season ticket depositors. That they’re using this initial 20 name list as a marketing tool. Just look at you and I. A Canadian and an Arizonan. We spent how much time voting in triplicate? They probably like the views and clicks right now for this first list. Hopefully subsequent votes will be locked down.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
I think the old saying is you only get one chance to make a first impression. I think they need to take full advantage of the initial momentum they have. I don’t think you can bank momentum. Saving a bit for later.

Being referred to as “The Utah whatevers” by everyone for the entirety of their inaugural season will cost them, I believe. We paid a huge price in Arizona for inviting scoffers to mock us. We’ve seen how important perception is. Why do that again if you don’t have to? There’s a real cost to being a laughing stock.
I guess I am assuming they will announce the team name after the voting has completed and folks can then call them the Utah Yeti (or whatever) and it is merely the branding that will be delayed. If the intention is to wait a year to announce the name, then yes, that's a wee bit of a problem.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
I really dislike most of the list.

I hate conceptual names or names based on natural phenomenon, SO Frost, ice, powder, freeze, blast, blizzard, swarm, give, squall, fury, glaciers, canyons and venom are out for me.

Glaciers? Really? Big fat slow moving ice formations are an apt name for a hockey team?

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
I really dislike most of the list.

I hate conceptual names or names based on natural phenomenon, SO Frost, ice, powder, freeze, blast, blizzard, swarm, give, squall, fury, glaciers, canyons and venom are out for me.

Glaciers? Really? Big fat slow moving ice formations are an apt name for a hockey team?
Glaciers definitely should not have made it. Perhaps, if we had a division rival named the Titanic, it might work but otherwise, what has a glacier ever done?

16 of the 20 are so bad it makes me think they have the 4 they think are acceptable and have presented a lot of options to make it feel like people have choice.

Edit: corrected the numbers

Last edited:

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012

You’ll sell more jerseys if they’re good jerseys with a popular name. There will be more people ready to hop on that bandwagon now than a year from now. Why plan to rebuild momentum later? Just ride it as far as you can while you have it right now.

Using your logic, I would say it’s better to release a C+/B- brand this summer and then in 5yrs (or whenever is the earliest allowable) rebrand and sell new merch then. If you want to double dip, there’s less expensive ways to do it than blowing your initial brand launch.

I view this as a critical time for the future so the franchise.

I’m hoping when they move this into brackets they lock it down to season ticket depositors. That they’re using this initial 20 name list as a marketing tool. Just look at you and I. A Canadian and an Arizonan. We spent how much time voting in triplicate? They probably like the views and clicks right now for this first list. Hopefully subsequent votes will be locked down.
Didn't the 2.0 jets have a generic nhl jersey at their first draft, and then had their real one in place by training camp? Shouldn't be that hard.

rt

May 13, 2004
Didn't the 2.0 jets have a generic nhl jersey at their first draft, and then had their real one in place by training camp? Shouldn't be that hard.
The Coyotes first draft in 1996 was a black practice jersey with the Kachina logo stitched on. They selected Dan Focht and Danny Briere.

Yup, try to avoid faces or you get weird stuff like this:

View attachment 867835
The senators have the worst brand in hockey by far. It’s a terrible name. And they insist on putting stupid little faces inside what should so obviously be an empty helmet.

Human logos are tricky...think you need to use nondescript elements like a shadow face with red eyes kinda thing to avoid the social political conversations/disputes.
I really dislike the idea of putting a whole ass Cowboy in a logo. Seems impossible to make it not bad. Want to be the outlaws? Fine. The logo needs to be a spur or some barbed wire or a bull skull or a horse or something. It can’t be a cowboy or a cowboy hat. Both are lame.

rt

May 13, 2004
I guess I am assuming they will announce the team name after the voting has completed and folks can then call them the Utah Yeti (or whatever) and it is merely the branding that will be delayed. If the intention is to wait a year to announce the name, then yes, that's a wee bit of a problem.
Hopefully that’s true.

When it’s the monsters face just staring right at you, it always makes me think of Sully from monsters Inc or the Bumble from Rudolph.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad