Team name poll

Which of these do you like the best?

• Total voters

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I rather like The Utah Phoenix, that someone else already suggested. It's a nice nod to the past, and a good transformative/rebirth symbol. No doubt that a certain ex-owner/placeholder would object though! Imagine a cool animation of a coyote being consumed in the flames and being reborn as a phoenix!

Just no.

First of all, for those of us still in Arizona, that name would be a slap in the face. The "cool animation" would be like kicking us in the nuts with a steel-toed boot.

Second of all, the Smiths want no part of any ties to Arizona with this franchise. They asked for no team history, records, etc. As far as they are concerned, this is a clean slate. So the team name should be something that is uniquely Utah.

starman

howling for Utah
Second of all, the Smiths want no part of any ties to Arizona with this franchise. They asked for no team history, records, etc. As far as they are concerned, this is a clean slate. So the team name should be something that is uniquely Utah.
I can guarantee you that whatever Smith & Co may wish, this "new" team carries a past with it, even if they wish to deny it, or pretend it away. They may change their name and move to a different town, but for me they will always be the Coyotes at heart, the team that many of us have been following for more than 2 decades. Where it gets interesting, is if Arizona gets it's own new franchise, but I will probably be dead and buried by then!

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I can guarantee you that whatever Smith & Co may wish, this "new" team carries a past with it, even if they wish to deny it, or pretend it away. They may change their name and move to a different town, but for me they will always be the Coyotes at heart, the team that many of us have been following for more than 2 decades. Where it gets interesting, is if Arizona gets it's own new franchise, but I will probably be dead and buried by then!
all teams that have been relocated or have lost teams due to business decisions.... all ownership groups know you're essentially leasing the franchise from whatever league you're in.... the Leagues have final say over its member clubs.... whether it's expansion or relocation or even a deal like this where it was brokered

Reactions: Summer Rose

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

I'll probably be right there with you mouldering in my grave if AZ ever gets another team.

But it's an inarguable fact that having the stink of relocation on a franchise when it gets to a new market is a crippling factor in their future prospects. The only saving grace Utah has is that their new owner is not like the ones who brought the Jets to Arizona. He's solvent, he is a well-respected sports owner already, and he isn't looking for a new building. But attaching any of the Coyotes' history to the Utah team is a desperately bad idea. Vegas and Seattle are thriving because they had clean-sheet opportunities. Salt Lake doesn't need to invite the bad karma of using Coyotes or AZ imagery or allusions in their future planning.

I don't like the Yeti, idk how that even started. Outlaws? I don't think there's any of those in Utah. Maybe Bandits? It will be some kind of animal I bet.

Utah used to be full of outlaws before the Mormons got there. And the Mormons actually brought their own personal outlaw with them - Porter Rockwell, one of the most notorious and murderous henchmen in the American West, who was Joseph Smith's and then Brigham Young's personal "avenging angel."

Fun fact - there used to be a little steak joint in Lehi, Utah (famous for the Lehi Roller Mills that made an appearance in the original "Footloose" movie) called "Porter's Place" named after Rockwell. Great steaks and sarsaparilla.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
But attaching any of the Coyotes' history to the Utah team is a desperately bad idea. Vegas and Seattle are thriving because they had clean-sheet opportunities. Salt Lake doesn't need to invite the bad karma of using Coyotes or AZ imagery or allusions in their future planning.
If it wasn't for the AM entanglements and if I was the new owner of the Utah team...I would've embraced the Coyotes and AZ fandom. Would've renamed them to the Yotes so they were new but still had a hook to the past. I would've connected the dots on SLC tourism and sponsored Yote party busses from Phoenix Metro to SLC and rented a floor of a nice Utah hotel (it's only a 10 hour drive). I would've had select watch parties at the Mullett. I would've held onto the Kachina Coyote and would've put him in skies, playing in a jazz band etc. I would've given motion to the logo and showed him relocating. (Instead Kachina Coyote has a knife in his back courtesy of AM and XG.) I wouldn't have made them merely Utah's team but would've adopted AZ and joined forces with the two states as much as possible. Finally, and most importantly, I would've created a primary role for Shane Doan in hockey operations and secondarily made him the ambassador of all things hockey in Utah. Not all of the Coyote karma was bad.

Naych_PHX

Feeling Salty
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
I'll probably be right there with you mouldering in my grave if AZ ever gets another team.

But it's an inarguable fact that having the stink of relocation on a franchise when it gets to a new market is a crippling factor in their future prospects. The only saving grace Utah has is that their new owner is not like the ones who brought the Jets to Arizona. He's solvent, he is a well-respected sports owner already, and he isn't looking for a new building. But attaching any of the Coyotes' history to the Utah team is a desperately bad idea. Vegas and Seattle are thriving because they had clean-sheet opportunities. Salt Lake doesn't need to invite the bad karma of using Coyotes or AZ imagery or allusions in their future planning.

Utah used to be full of outlaws before the Mormons got there. And the Mormons actually brought their own personal outlaw with them - Porter Rockwell, one of the most notorious and murderous henchmen in the American West, who was Joseph Smith's and then Brigham Young's personal "avenging angel."

Fun fact - there used to be a little steak joint in Lehi, Utah (famous for the Lehi Roller Mills that made an appearance in the original "Footloose" movie) called "Porter's Place" named after Rockwell. Great steaks and sarsaparilla.
Oh. Well then. Brigham on. I mean, bring it on.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
This forum is very old tech and probably has a very old average age. I’m guessing the average HFBoards user is like 43 or something. I’m nearly 40 myself.

I think older people like Utah Outlaws best because it sounds good when you say it and it doesn’t have a babyish connotation. I think younger people like Utah Yetis because it sounds good when you say it and they can let their imaginations run wild with more fun designs and images. Outlaws is old and dusty and “cool”. Yetis is silly and “fun” and decidedly very new.

I don’t really like either name because I think each is too far in its own direction. I just want to pick a cool local critter and be done with it. Big Horns. Let’s go.

But that won’t happen.

I’m guessing Yetis.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
If it wasn't for the AM entanglements and if I was the new owner of the Utah team...I would've embraced the Coyotes and AZ fandom. Would've renamed them to the Yotes so they were new but still had a hook to the past. I would've connected the dots on SLC tourism and sponsored Yote party busses from Phoenix Metro to SLC and rented a floor of a nice Utah hotel (it's only a 10 hour drive). I would've had select watch parties at the Mullett. I would've held onto the Kachina Coyote and would've put him in skies, playing in a jazz band etc. I would've given motion to the logo and showed him relocating. (Instead Kachina Coyote has a knife in his back courtesy of AM and XG.) I wouldn't have made them merely Utah's team but would've adopted AZ and joined forces with the two states as much as possible. Finally, and most importantly, I would've created a primary role for Shane Doan in hockey operations and secondarily made him the ambassador of all things hockey in Utah. Not all of the Coyote karma was bad.

Not sure if serious... :huh:

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
This forum is very old tech and probably has a very old average age. I’m guessing the average HFBoards user is like 43 or something. I’m nearly 40 myself.

I think older people like Utah Outlaws best because it sounds good when you say it and it doesn’t have a babyish connotation. I think younger people like Utah Yetis because it sounds good when you say it and they can let their imaginations run wild with more fun designs and images. Outlaws is old and dusty and “cool”. Yetis is silly and “fun” and decidedly very new.

I don’t really like either name because I think each is too far in its own direction. I just want to pick a cool local critter and be done with it. Big Horns. Let’s go.

But that won’t happen.

I’m guessing Yetis.

I plugged in all 43 ages from the introductions thread given (some approximate, for example I rounded mid-30's to 35 and late 30's to 38) to a statistics calculator out of boredom. Mean age is 46,65, median age is 48. Oldest is 78 and youngest is 23.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
SEG asked for this or AM claimed the history? Would be the first I heard this was SEG driven.
It was written into the contract, and since the NHL more or less badgered Meruelo into doing this deal, that indicates to me that Smith/SEG were the ones who were after the clean slate and were the impetus behind it.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
It was written into the contract, and since the NHL more or less badgered Meruelo into doing this deal, that indicates to me that Smith/SEG were the ones who were after the clean slate and were the impetus behind it.
I think it fits better that AM was saving face and be able to say he didn't really kill the Coyotes, they just went inactive. I don't see SEG being opposed to having the history move with the team and based on the SEG precedence of keeping the Jazz name in spite of it not being a fit for their region, I bet they would've kept the branding too if it wasn't for AM.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ

I interpreted it as a way to convince/give the impression that AM he wasn't losing the team. Can't sell the brand and call the franchise as simply "inactive," I don't think.

Anyways, I do agree that Utah wanted a clean slate and figured that Smith agreed to let AM keep the brand without any hesitation. The Coyote's history doesn't have much to be proud of anyways. No loss for Utah.

Hell, I don't want the Coyotes brand to ever be resurrected in AZ again either. It's toxic and it would be stupid to say "we're back!" rather than take advantage of a fresh start here too. Wy start back up with all the baggage when you don't have to? JMO

Last edited:

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
I've said all along I just want a normal team name. Not something that sticks out like a sore thumb as a weird comic book name when you're looking through the list of team names. I also think names that end in an "s" sound better (Jets, Rangers, Bruins, Canadiens, Kings, Islanders, etc)

Kraken is an awful name and I feel bad for the Seattle fans. They should have gone with Seattle Totems. Yeti is similarly awful. Of this list, Outlaws sounds kind of cool but also strikes me as the most normal sounding team name. Outlaws will have my support in the voting process.

Prestigeworldwide

Apr 21, 2017
I've said all along I just want a normal team name. Not something that sticks out like a sore thumb as a weird comic book name when you're looking through the list of team names. I also think names that end in an "s" sound better (Jets, Rangers, Bruins, Canadiens, Kings, Islanders, etc)

Kraken is an awful name and I feel bad for the Seattle fans. They should have gone with Seattle Totems. Yeti is similarly awful. Of this list, Outlaws sounds kind of cool but also strikes me as the most normal sounding team name. Outlaws will have my support in the voting process.
I agree with you about the Yetis. I think its a very childish name and is sort of a copycat with the Avalanche and their prior yeti theme they moved away from.
That being said, the average household in Utah has like 13 kids so Yetis will probably be the name.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg

What do you think about the names @rt proposed? Bighorns and Black Diamonds

If those names are possibly going to show up in the voting process, they'll have to generate some buzz first.

rt

May 13, 2004

I totally agree with you. And I also am 90% sure they’ll be The Yetis.

What do you think about the names @rt proposed? Bighorns and Black Diamonds

If those names are possibly going to show up in the voting process, they'll have to generate some buzz first.
I think we know the right names based on the trademark registrations.

It’s the eight in this poll, I believe.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
I plugged in all 43 ages from the introductions thread given (some approximate, for example I rounded mid-30's to 35 and late 30's to 38) to a statistics calculator out of boredom. Mean age is 46,65, median age is 48. Oldest is 78 and youngest is 23.
This is because I haven’t added my 90 year old ass to the equation yet.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio

I agree with you about the Outlaws part. But as a Native American myself (although not from a tribe who uses totems) I cringe when people want to use Native American/First Nations symbolism as sports teams names. Why? It’s kind of annoying.

rt

May 13, 2004
I agree with you about the Outlaws part. But as a Native American myself (although not from a tribe who uses totems) I cringe when people want to use Native American/First Nations symbolism as sports teams names. Why? It’s kind of annoying.
I think it’s just because it’s cool. Samurais are cool. Comanches are cool. Vikings are cool. At least in the romanticized or dumbed down sense. They have cool looking gear and they are purported to have been pretty tough customers. Same reason people name teams after Bears and Wolves and not usually after cows or toads.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
I think it’s just because it’s cool. Samurais are cool. Comanches are cool. Vikings are cool. At least in the romanticized or dumbed down sense. They have cool looking gear and they are purported to have been pretty tough customers. Same reason people name teams after Bears and Wolves and not usually after cows or toads.
Cows:
Utah Heifers
Utah Angus
Utah Herefords
Utah Brown Swiss
Utah Brahman (Fort Worth had a CHL team named the Brahmas)
Utah Holsteins
Utah Watusi

Frogs:
Utah Paedophyrne Amauensises
Utah Rain Frogs
Utah Horned Frogs (TCU)
Utah Hairy Frogs :)
Utah Mossy Frogs
Utah Golden Poison Dart Frogs
Utah Flying Frogs

Ad