CantHaveTkachev

Cap Space > NHL players
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Edmonton is dead last now in ES shooting % lol. 4.81%

Teams like Vegas are 13.64%

HD save % is 75.86. Above a few teams

Top teams have 85%-93%

Vancouvers #1 goalie is out for who knows how long and their backups are top 10...

Edmonton still top 3 in HDC For, Corsi, Top 10 in least high danger chances allowed.

Edmonton 2nd last at ES HD shooting % with 9.62%. A few points above WPG (who have a wall in net). Top teams have a 21%-36%
the Oilers have been "goalied" a lot this year....so far they've faced Hellebuyck, Saros, Oettinger and Andersson (who owns the Oilers and is having a great season)

that's 4 of the best in the game in their first 7 games...couple that with 4 goals called back in the first 4 games, offense has been hard to come by

Reactions: popo and bucks_oil

popo

Aug 9, 2005
I like Emberson much better than Dermott. Dermott seems like a huge liability in his own end - takes a penalty, leaves his coverage alone in front of the net, soft on the puck.
Thought it was a bizarre coaching decision to swap them out.

Good to see Stu Skinner play much better and keep us in a game. Need him to play like that consistently until our offense arrives.

Was happy separating Drai and McDavid again. Better depth. 2nd line created a lot of chances and J.Skinner nearly scored.

I think Hyman is playing okay, but can't score with all the chances he is getting. Frustrating. Needs to get the monkey off his back.

Arvidsson is a smart player, and tenacious. But it hasn't added up to anything. Seeming like the wrong fit, but I'm going to be a bit patient here.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Arvidsson does not fit on this team at all. To unskilled for the top 6. Too slow and small for the bottom 6. This guy used to be money. He's done. Edmonton was his retirement contract. He knows it.

• Haha
Reactions: Senor Catface

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Pace was fine yesterday, we are getting burned on stupid plays both offensively and defensively.
Lack of speed is overstated and over rated. The oilers have looked like the better team in almost every game so far. They are losing due to historically bad shooting percentage. Problem is psychological and temporary. It’ll sort itself out over time.

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011
Arvidsson does not fit on this team at all. To unskilled for the top 6. Too slow and small for the bottom 6. This guy used to be money. He's done. Edmonton was his retirement contract. He knows it.
I think we have to give the guy more than 7 games to adjust to a new team, particularly when Leon hasn't even looked decent next to Connor. A lot of players on new teams are struggling- see the shit show that is Nashville right now as exhibit A.

Reactions: joestevens29

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Even in LA, especially in playoffs, Arvid was one player example of a guy with some skill but easy to play against, easy to rub out on boards, easy to erase. -3 in one of the games and fully deserved.

lol Arvid was the one scoring the goal for the Kings that got them the Oilers matchup they didn't want. There were even some WTF dude looks from the LA bench. Arvid was wondering why team wasn't pumping his goal. lol Last goal he scored too.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
None of them look slow to me.
We gave up McLeod, Holloway and Foegele, three guys with really good wheels. Replaced them with Skinner, Arvidsson and Polkozen. Three guys that are average skaters, more quick in tight areas for Skinner , than actual speed. And Foegele and McLeod, despite their warts, had the speed to get to loose and contested pucks. Our PK this year struggling is not really a big surprise. How bad it's been has been the surprise. And we have Ryan, Perry to add to that, not exactly blazers. We lost Broberg on defence and replaced with Emberson/Dermott/Stetcher. Again, the speed factor has gone down. Okay, we're not a slow team. But we are significantly slower overall than last year, and this is a fast league.

However, missing passes and making dumb plays make them look even slower than they actually are. That we can agree on.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
That's what hurts more

You might see 2 or 3 of these types of games from Skinner all year if we're lucky. They piss it away

Slow is the new popular buzz word around here. That means they are the smartest team in the league generating so many high dangers every game and tops in that and Corsi
Boy, they've sure looked like a bunch of Einstein's the first 7 games, that's for sure!:laugh:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Arvidsson:
1729720131684.png

Podkolzin:
1729720163837.png

There's the player tracking data via NHL Edge for this season.

The loss of speed thing is overstated.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
If you are saying that the team has a talent level which has the potential to outscore very bad habits then I completely agree.
I think that is a major problem with this team historically and it starts with Connor and Leon.

If those 2 players did nothing else but prioritize smart puck management and smart defence the team would follow. They dont do that because they have the potential to outscore their bad decisions. They have been getting away with that for most of their careers.
The problem is that approach ultimately isnt going to win anything meaningful.

In last nights game Connor had 2 goals. Considering his poor puck management and poor defensive play he couldnt even outscore his own mistakes. He was also 22% on the faceoff dot yet he is being lauded for his play in last nights game.
That IMO is a representation of the problem.

I said last season that if this team could commit to playing smart defence (which includes managing the puck better) they would be very hard to beat.
They did that for the 2nd half of the season.

Here they are heading down the exact same river with the exact same leaks in the boat.
If history means anything at all the boat will have to be close to sinking before the leadership group takes appropriate action. Its just who they are.
Bad habits are very hard to break.
Interesting post and I agree.

I was watching the Pitts/Flamer game a bit and watched Crosby closely. At his advanced age, the legs aren't where they used to be, but the hands and smarts are still there and it's why he continues to produce at a high level even as he approaches 40. But the main thing I decided to watch confirms what I've seen about him from so many prior veiwings. Always on the right side of the puck, smart decisions in potentially dangerous situations that don't put his teammates at risk, and the ability to win most 50/50 battles. At this point in his career, and with the other aging vets going downhill, and not a lot of replacement talent, they likely won't make the playoffs again, but it won't be because of Sid. I sure wish some of that would rub off on McDrai in their own quest to lead the team. But still too many bad habits appearing too often, despite their immense talent, prime youth and ability to outscore a lot of the deficiencies.

Reactions: brentashton

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If you are saying that the team has a talent level which has the potential to outscore very bad habits then I completely agree.
I think that is a major problem with this team historically and it starts with Connor and Leon.

If those 2 players did nothing else but prioritize smart puck management and smart defence the team would follow. They dont do that because they have the potential to outscore their bad decisions. They have been getting away with that for most of their careers.
The problem is that approach ultimately isnt going to win anything meaningful.

In last nights game Connor had 2 goals. Considering his poor puck management and poor defensive play he couldnt even outscore his own mistakes. He was also 22% on the faceoff dot yet he is being lauded for his play in last nights game.
That IMO is a representation of the problem.

I said last season that if this team could commit to playing smart defence (which includes managing the puck better) they would be very hard to beat.
They did that for the 2nd half of the season.

Here they are heading down the exact same river with the exact same leaks in the boat.
If history means anything at all the boat will have to be close to sinking before the leadership group takes appropriate action. Its just who they are.
Bad habits are very hard to break.

Offensive players take risks, if you think Wayne and Mario didn't do the same thing (and worse), you're very, very mistaken.

Our record is what it is because we're shooting a ridiculously low 6% and averaging 2 goals/game. Once that normalizes likely the results will change with it.

Janmark caused two of the goals against in the 3rd period yesterday, you can't blame that on McDavid or Draisaitl. He had possession of the puck on the PK and could have cleared it, but instead weakly ringed the puck around the boards which lead to a GA. He then watched a forward who would score the tying goal just skate by him straight to the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad