WC: Team Canada 2024

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
I didn't watch the tournament but it is disappointing they sent Celebrini and Fantilli home, benched Bedard, and played endless grinders.

You don't need Hagel, Tanev, Mangiapane, Grieg, and Bunting, pick 2 or 3 of them.
Tanev, Hagel and Bunting all played roles that Celebrini and Fantilli wouldn't.

Would you want Celebrini on the PK blocking shots like Tanev? I'm sure his agent would appreciate that lol.

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015
Tanev, Hagel and Bunting all played roles that Celebrini and Fantilli wouldn't.

Would you want Celebrini on the PK blocking shots like Tanev? I'm sure his agent would appreciate that lol.
Well you take Hagel and Tanev, you have a bunch of other forwards who kill penalties already, what you lack are guys who create their own offense and can break a game open.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Well you take Hagel and Tanev, you have a bunch of other forwards who kill penalties already, what you lack are guys who create their own offense and can break a game open.

Everyone agrees that the team was light on skill up front compared to some previous years, but this isn't the World Juniors and it's not surprising that kids struggled against men in the more competitive games.

Adding skill in the form of teenagers wouldn't necessarily be a benefit.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I thought Cozens looked great and should be in contention for a spot on for the Four Nations and Olympics tournaments.
There’s no way. Wayyy too many elite forwards to compete with to bring a guy who just had 47pts because he played well in a B level tournament

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
There’s no way. Wayyy too many elite forwards to compete with to bring a guy who just had 47pts because he played well in a B level tournament

I'd think strongly about making room for him.

Let's see how he does this year. He's good at all aspects of the game and could play on any line.

I'd certainly take him over a guy like Mitch Marner.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I'd think strongly about making room for him.

Let's see how he does this year. He's good at all aspects of the game and could play on any line.
There’s a lot of players who play well in all aspects and still produce higher than a 3rd liner.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I wouldn't be surprised if you win next year. There is no stopping you guys, always making the semis and just fell a little bit short this year. I wish that more Canadian star players would want to represent their country, but then again its a long season, and this tournament is not very highly rated amongst the star players. It's a bit of a shame but even then, Canada usually has the best team on paper. Amazing depth.

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
I didn't watch the tournament but it is disappointing they sent Celebrini and Fantilli home, benched Bedard, and played endless grinders.

You don't need Hagel, Tanev, Mangiapane, Grieg, and Bunting, pick 2 or 3 of them.

Bedard struggled for most of this tournament. What makes you think that Fantilli, who's worse and hasn't played hockey in months, or Celebrini, who isn't even drafted, would have fared any better?

The reality is that right now, those grinders are better hockey players than Fantilli or Celebrini. That's why they stayed.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Let's see what Cozens does this season. He is consistently very good internationally, enough that it cannot just be written off, he's a very talented player, and he's quite versatile. Cozens was Canada's best offensive threat at this tournament and also a regular on the PK, plus he can play RW. If he develops a bit more it wouldn't be a surprise to see him playing a Jeff Carter type role at a best on best tournament as people who criticized his selection marvel at how effective he is.

Cozens isn't going to be one of the players who drives a line, but when looking for the complementary pieces you want guys who provide versatility in addition to world class talent. There's no question that Hockey Canada took note of Cozens in this tournament. I already dread TSN calling him the dark horse from Whitehorse when doing Olympic projections.

I really enjoyed watching Tavares internationally again. Obviously he's slow as f*** but still a very good player for this level.

In terms of performance, Celebrini and Fantilli likely make no positive difference outside of giving Canada better options in the shootout. They realistically didn't fit what the team was trying to do and while I wanted them there for the experience they would have contributed less than Hagel and Paul did.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
For the ninth straight tournament, Canada will play for a medal. All you doomsayers from the first few pages may want to reflect on that.

Who am I kidding, none of those guys have read anything other than what they wrote since the third page.
1716683524236.png

Canada has absolutely owned this tourney since 2015.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Should have been obvious not to have JT as captain, guy is just not able to win anything in the playoffs

Not for lack of trying.

He was one of Canada’s best players and scored the critical game tying goal with little time left.

And believe me, I have no love for the Leafs.

But I judge all these guys objectively when they put their NHL jersey in the closet to put on the red Maple Leaf.

Reactions: shaner8989

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Not for lack of trying.

He was one of Canada’s best players and scored the critical game tying goal with little time left.

And believe me, I have no love for the Leafs.

But I judge all these guys objectively when they put their NHL jersey in the closet to put on the red Maple Leaf.
Still doesn't change his history, JT teams struggle in the playoffs and this is just more evidence of this

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Lots of unusual coaching decisions throughout the tournament.

I hope they bring it tomorrow for the Bronze medal game and have some fun and make the trip worth it. Nothing wrong with a bronze medal and one lose all tournament.

Reactions: Blame the referee

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
That isn't Fantilli or Celebrini at this level.
Still doesn't change his history, JT teams struggle in the playoffs and this is just more evidence of this
JT was one of the best when it mattered in this tournament. Outside of this tournament he was solid in the olympics before getting hurt and was one of the top scoring forwards when they won the world cup.

People need to let go of what players do for the Leafs when it comes to Canada. Leafs blow, it doesn't mean you decline every single player who happens to play for them.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
He's 23 years old and a season removed from 31 goals and 68 points.
Age really doesn’t mean a lot unless he actually proves it. That’s great he’s a season removed from 69. He had 47 most recently, which just isn’t good.

There’s way too much talent on Canada to bring a player like Cozens barring a major breakout

Weve Seen “meh” players have big tournaments at the WC before because it’s not a true best on best

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Bedard struggled for most of this tournament. What makes you think that Fantilli, who's worse and hasn't played hockey in months, or Celebrini, who isn't even drafted, would have fared any better?

The reality is that right now, those grinders are better hockey players than Fantilli or Celebrini. That's why they stayed.
Bedard struggled a bit, I agree. However, he wasn't put in a position to succeed. Not being on the first PP at all was bad coaching. He's probably never played so little in a game as some of these games, so I think it affected his rhythm pretty badly. I think sometimes he was trying to get himself engaged by getting into some chippy stuff and he took some bad penalties. Not to say that he couldn't have been (a lot) better in some games, but he was penalized for his mistakes quite heavily and not really awarded or optimized for his skillset. In the first few games he was almost the only forward he had anything going on and got awarded by staying on the 4th line.

Once he was on the first PP in the Swiss game the powerplay immediately ran through him and and he set up a bunch of great chances, including the goal. Also, he didn't touch the ice for all of the 10 minute overtime after that first abbreviated powerplay. I wonder if Tourigny ever watched him play in overtime with Chicago because with the extra space he instantly became the best player on the ice almost every time they went to overtime.

He was definitely good against Slovakia and Switzerland...very interested to see how he's deployed against Czechia.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
I hate when people come in here and talk down a guy that goes over, wears the C, skates hard every shift, wins battles, scores goals, all because the Leafs struggle to win playoff series against great teams. Those people ruin the fun for everyone, and also make it shitty to play in Toronto. That’s why I put fans in quotation.

I wouldn’t ever call you one of those people.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I hate when people come in here and talk down a guy that goes over, wears the C, skates hard every shift, wins battles, scores goals, all because the Leafs struggle to win playoff series against great teams. Those people ruin the fun for everyone, and also make it shitty to play in Toronto. That’s why I put fans in quotation.

I wouldn’t ever call you one of those people.
LOL. No worries, my friend. I was joking with my "angry" response. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad