WC: Team Canada 2024

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I don't believe in Global Warming because Donald Trump told me it doesn't exist but, man, it is HOT where I live In May. 🥵

NO NHL games, tonight, and NO World Championship hockey until Thursday. Not good.

Thank you to @jj cale for convincing me to watch the entire WC tournament - not just the playoffs. It has been a ton of fun.

He seems to "drift" a LOT.
Bloody hot in Southern Ontario right now and my AC isn't working yet.

I love the WC but this year has been so great to watch. I really like this team, it's an interesting mix but they're playing like a team in such a short amount of time. Can't wait for Saturday!

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Bloody hot in Southern Ontario right now and my AC isn't working yet.

I love the WC but this year has been so great to watch. I really like this team, it's an interesting mix but they're playing like a team in such a short amount of time. Can't wait for Saturday!
Great post and, yes, Southern Ontario feels like the middle of July. Yuck !

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
@WarriorofTime gave us the ultimate compliment in another thread - if you want me to delete this WT, I will.

WarriorOfTime wrote : "Every year in USNTDP it's a bunch of small boys that can dazzle but know they'll need some Canadian guys on their line in pro hockey to forecheck for them."

It felt good to read that. :thumbu:

Reactions: jj cale

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005

Attachments

• IMG_0829.png
    IMG_0829.png
    142.5 KB · Views: 2

Mainiac

May 15, 2021
Just looking at the stats.....even though we're 8 and oh, the overall 2nd seed and into the semis, we're dead last among the 16 teams in save percentage. That likely doesn't happen often

...and, even though we lead the tournament in goals scored, we have only 1 guy in the top 10 (Cozens), and 3 in the top 30. (Tavaras & PLD). Balanced attack for sure.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Just looking at the stats.....even though we're 8 and oh, the overall 2nd seed and into the semis, we're dead last among the 16 teams in save percentage. That likely doesn't happen often

...and, even though we lead the tournament in goals scored, we have only 1 guy in the top 10 (Cozens), and 3 in the top 30. (Tavaras & PLD). Balanced attack for sure.

I feel like Canada has never really needed elite goaltending to win games, we've just needed a serviceable NHL starting level goalie to win tournaments with regularity.

I feel these stats don't really matter as much for Canada, just like when we became the first to ever start the tournament 0-3 and end up winning gold, (2021 Riga) of course having elite level goaltending like we most recently had with Price is a luxury that would be ideal to have. It's one more layer of defence.

Reactions: ORRFForever

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Have to say, Connor Bedard has been a huge disappointment and a liability on the ice. Expected more for a player with phenom status. Let's see if he can turn it around against the Swiss.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Have to say, Connor Bedard has been a huge disappointment and a liability on the ice. Expected more for a player with phenom status. Let's see if he can turn it around against the Swiss.
It's not really that surprising, it's how he played all season in the NHL. He just wasn't benched for it because Chicago was so bad it didn't matter.

Hard to change your game that quickly, but he's only 18, he'll get there.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
It's not really that surprising, it's how he played all season in the NHL. He just wasn't benched for it because Chicago was so bad it didn't matter.

Hard to change your game that quickly, but he's only 18, he'll get there.
It will be a eye-opening experience for him. I can't imagine he's ever been benched in his life.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
The issue is the penalties. Apart from that you can live with the lapses in defensive coverage given how much he creates, but Tourigny definitely holds him to a different standard than players that he’s had at the past at the worlds or with arizona. Reminds me of Tim Hunter self-sabotaging his own team by benching Lafrenière at the WJC 2019

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
The issue is the penalties. Apart from that you can live with the lapses in defensive coverage given how much he creates, but Tourigny definitely holds him to a different standard than players that he’s had at the past at the worlds or with arizona. Reminds me of Tim Hunter self-sabotaging his own team by benching Lafrenière at the WJC 2019
I don't agree that he is holding him to a different standard. I think he is holding to "the" standard and it's the first time in his life Bedard has been held accountable like that. He would just outscore his poor play in other areas and in Chicago it didn't matter because they were all so bad.

The penalties, the turnovers and bad defence would get anyone benched.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad