WC: Team Canada 2024

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Being mad about the team getting better with a 75 point player in Hagel is really odd imo. Fantilli hasn’t played a game in months and Macklin is 17. There job is to win the tournament not be a prospect showcase.

Yeah I don't really get being upset. This isn't a Mickey Mouse prospects camp it's an actual annual tourney with medals. Of course the people running it want the best players possible. PLD, Brandon Hagel and Nick Paul are going to be better than two very unproven kids who will likely see exceptionally little ice time. I like the attitude Team Canada is taking. Do what you can to win and everything else is secondary.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Personally, I think it's better to not rescind invites. (Macklin is doing the draft lottery thing tonight) and for Fantelli, maybe he would have gone on vacation instead of getting ready to play at the Worlds the past few days.

Either wait it out since they haven't left to attended camp or just go with the guys who didn't make the PO.

No reason to announce the roster and then make changes outside of injury.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Fantelli, maybe he would have gone on vacation instead of getting ready to play at the Worlds the past few days.

The team is in Czechia - and we ALL know how they settle things THERE...

1715132103132.png

Last edited:

pabst blue ribbon

🇺🇦🤝🇵🇱
Oct 26, 2015
PG
If you want more high calibre NHL guys to participate in this type of tourney you should be perfectly okay with 75 point NHLers getting the call over prospects

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
If you want more high calibre NHL guys to participate in this type of tourney you should be perfectly okay with 75 point NHLers getting the call over prospects
That's all well, but if the interest is to ice the best team possible, why cut Celebrini or Fantilli over a guy like Jack McBain? Why even invite Dubois? He was legitimately awful this season.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
That's all well, but if the interest is to ice the best team possible, why cut Celebrini or Fantilli over a guy like Jack McBain? Why even invite Dubois? He was legitimately awful this season.
They are concerned about how YOUNG the team is. The wanted some older players.

pabst blue ribbon

🇺🇦🤝🇵🇱
Oct 26, 2015
PG
Dubois has a track record of being a good NHL player and as a productive player at this tournament, there's nothing crazy about him taking the spot of a rookie who may not be in greatest game shape or a 17 year old who would probably have a marginal role on the team. It's also probably also worse from a recruitment perspective to replace an NHL Player like McBain than a non NHL guy from a political perspective in Hockey Canada's view

Poiquets

Oct 17, 2019
stream went wonky on me for the 3rd so coudn't watch that period, 1 p.p for Canada in the first 2 and it's with Hungarian announcers who hardly were saying the players names and a small screen but Byram and Bedard were on it............the other 3 I didn't catch.
Thank you Sir! Much appreciated.

Reactions: jj cale

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Terrible decision by Hockey Canada to cut Fantilli, who was part of last year's championship team, to hand a spot to pro hockey's most selfish player in Pierre Luc Dubois.

Reactions: Summer Rose

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Personally, I think it's better to not rescind invites. (Macklin is doing the draft lottery thing tonight) and for Fantelli, maybe he would have gone on vacation instead of getting ready to play at the Worlds the past few days.

Either wait it out since they haven't left to attended camp or just go with the guys who didn't make the PO.

No reason to announce the roster and then make changes outside of injury.
Why though as the goal is to win if better players become available and increase the odds of winning you just do it.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Why though as the goal is to win if better players become available and increase the odds of winning you just do it.
I don't know why they didn't wait for round 1 to complete before naming their roster. They haven't gotten together yet. That's what I don't get.

They have to ask who is willing to do so they will have contacted all of those players to get a yes if they do receive an invite. So, if they don't get one, then they were passed over. Feels like if you get the official invite, that should be it.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Canada's roster became much less interesting now that they've cut Fantilli and Celebrini.
Big time. Really dont care to watch as much tbh. Hagel, PLD and Paul are never playing for this country in a best on best. To me this is a development tournament, was an unnecessary decision and I dont even know how much better it made the team. Sure its better but if they just added Hagel or Paul and kept them that would have been fine.

Reactions: ORRFForever

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Big time. Really dont care to watch as much tbh. Hagel, PLD and Paul are never playing for this country in a best on best. To me this is a development tournament, was an unnecessary decision and I dont even know how much better it made the team. Sure its better but if they just added Hagel or Paul and kept them that would have been fine.
I would have been happy with an ALL KID team - even if they lost. Just like at the World Cup in 2016, they young team would have been so interesting/fun. Hagel, PLD and Paul... not so much.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Hagel has an outside shot at making the Olympics. He plays a game that projects well into a depth role and he won't turn 27 until August of '26 (a few months post Olympics).
Yes, I can quite easily project Hagel on the Canada Olympic roster if he has a good season. Paul probably not, but he is still a great player with his combination of size, strength and skill.

Playmaker82

May 2, 2023
Norway
The balance of the team with Dubois, Hagel, Paul in for Celebrini/Fantilli is way better. Dubois gives McCann place in 1LW instead of C, while Hagel is a massive upgrade over Fantilli at 2RW with him also beeing at the bubble for Olympics. Paul does his grinding in the 3th-4th.

Celebrini would have been 13th forward anyways, while Fantilli was kind of the odd man out in 2RW. With a little injury as well, I guess Nash (who has Fantilli in CBJ daily) knows very well what they are doing. And Celebrini got a little feel with the boys, and got to play a game before going home to the Draft.

Yes, as for seeing the young kids its a downer, but as for Canadas chances for gold in World Championships its a good call. And in the end its the World champs, not a prospect tourney.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It’s a better team, I think, particularly as it is a men’s tournament where experience matters.

Bringing guys over and then sending them home may be better for this year’s tournament but it may have ramifications down the road. It will always rely on volunteers and you don’t want to take them for granted.

I hope it’s an outlier because they moved away from that kind of thing.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Hagel has an outside shot at making the Olympics. He plays a game that projects well into a depth role and he won't turn 27 until August of '26 (a few months post Olympics).
Not that it matters much but he turns 27 next summer, in 2025.

I had to look this up because I thought in my head “no f***in way Hagel is only 24.” Although it’s still crazy that he’s yet to turn 26. I thought he was a couple years older.

Reactions: ORRFForever

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Not that it matters much but he turns 27 next summer, in 2025.

I had to look this up because I thought in my head “no f***in way Hagel is only 24.” Although it’s still crazy that he’s yet to turn 26. I thought he was a couple years older.
He is entering his "prime".

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
This is World Hockey Championship, not some exhibition tournament. All nations want to have as good team as possible, if you have opportunity to strengthen the team, you do it. Canada adding ~70 pts player and they will get criticized for that... :D Team Canada is significantly improved after todays moves (Dubois, Hagel, Paul).

They still got Bedard, Zellweger, Power, Guenther, Cozens etc, that's not enough young upcoming stars? Looking forward to watch this team, especially when they will play against Czechs, lol.
The WHC's ARE basically an exhibition tournament. They are played during the playoffs of the league that basically has the best 600+ players in the world...

Clearly the IIHF and participating federations do not give a shit about quality of players.

In my opinion, Canada should always use it as a place to give young guys experience and try out players for best on best tournaments.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad