• Harrison Brunicke, D, Kamloops (WHL)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maxim Massé, RW, Chicoutimi (QMJHL)

• Julius Miettinen, C/W, Everett (WHL)

• Ryder Ritchie, F, Prince Albert (WHL)

• Teddy Stiga, LW, Boston College (NCAA)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Wouldn't be surprised to see NYI take him. They need some speed and skill. He has solid legs and seems to be well grounded with balance. This isn't your scrawny, completely undersized player.
He reminds me a bit of Bedard in the way he’s smaller but has such a strong base and balance while deking around defenders. Definitely doesn’t have the same shot as Bedard but I see a lot of similarities in their build, skating style & stick handling

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
He's listed as 6', at the combine he measured 5'11.25" 187lb. Decent weight for that height.

You know I value grit far more than most people on this board and am probably Rempe's biggest fan here, but in the 1st round I'm prioritizing elite talent above all else. Watching those highlights don't you think Basha skates right into traffic without fear? He is far from some purely finesse soft perimeter player

I’d rather go for a power forward Tkachuk type or a pest type player like Marchand if they want someone with a smaller built. Rangers need to add those elements in the organization. Rangers are too finesse heavy. Top 6 guys with size and grit would not be a bad thing. One reason I want to see Cuylle get a look with Kreider and Mika. He scored a good rate without special team time which I hope he gets PP2 or PK time this season.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I'm really puzzled by the Letourneau love here. Pretty sure people just saw committed to Boston College & his size.

He's a guy playing Canadian high school hockey. High School hockey is not a big thing in Canada. This is not high level hockey. He is ranked 87 by Recruit, 55 by Dobber, 69 by TSN, 51 by THN, meh. IF he somehow pans out he is a project who will take many years after our window anyway. If he weren't big it would be even lower, his linemate who only got 6 fewer points is only ranked by 2 agencies, 211 by Recruit & 156 by DraftProspects. And they are the only 2 players in the entire league ranked on a single draft list.

Meanwhile several guys ranked in the teens on some lists are still available here.

The only players in KHL history with more points in a season as a draft eligible than Nikita Artamonov:

- Matvei Michkov
- Vladimir Tarsenko
- Artemi Panarin

Letourneau is also ranked 28 by Pronman, 42 by Wheeler, 22 from Kennedy at TSN, but (FAR more importantly) 34 by HockeyProspect and 32 by EliteProspects. As in the only prospect rankings that hold any real weight for me.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I’d rather go for a power forward Tkachuk type or a pest type player like Marchand if they want someone with a smaller built. Rangers need to add those elements in the organization. Rangers are too finesse heavy. Top 6 guys with size and grit would not be a bad thing. One reason I want to see Cuylle get a look with Kreider and Mika. He scored a good rate without special team time which I hope he gets PP2 or PK time this season.
I totally agree with you, if you look at my ranking I literally have Iginla over Celebrini. But if an elite talent falls to us I take it and add the grit via other means

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
They won't be when Panarin is gone. This pick isn't playing anytime soon. When this player joins the team, you will not have Panarin. Zibanejad and Trocheck will be at least 33/34. You have Lafreniere, Perreault, and Chytil (should he be able to maintain a long career). I'm not including Kakko just yet because I'm not sure he's going to be on the team at the same point a player picked 30th will be. Laf is also not just a finesse player, but I included him.

In the system, finesse isn't really that heavy. So you're either drafting for right now, or you're drafting for your pipe-line. I don't see anybody picked 30th that can make the jump to immediately help our finesse players, and I don't see a lot of finesse/skilled players still around/performing when that pick is ready.

Marchand and Tkachuk are more than just pest, obviously. They're skilled with the puck and make plays happen without the puck. So obviously if you can get a top 6 talent like that, you go for it, but I don't think you look at this team and say we need to draft this over finesse because we're too finesse heavy. Looking at the current roster without trades, we won't be.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
I have only seen Celibrini and Cayden Lindstrom actually play. And highlights of Sacha Boisvert. Lindstrom has back issues. Big risk high reward.
Take the pick, make a package and go big game hunting.
Otherwise I pick a kid whos college bound or a French Canadian kid with a girls name who speaks English like it hurts.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Voted Paraskak, with Artamonov a close second.

Nikita Artamonov - LW High Energy, excells at forecheck/puck pursuit game. Defensively responsible. First U18 Player in KHL history to record 4-point game. Safe pick, strong bottom 6 player.

Domonick Badinka - RD Smart, physical 2 way defenseman with some leadership.

Andrew Basha - LW High energy winger with compete level and a motor. Slick skating, can be a puck hound.

Harrrison Brunucke - RD Big athletic Physical Defenseman, good size. Smooth skater. Blocks lots of shots.

Alfons Frej - LD Highly skilled Blueliner, who can be one dimensional. PP QB, puck mover. Dangerous when joining the rush. Excellent skater.

Matvei Gridin - RW Has all the tools and one of the better skaters in the draft. Led USHL in scoring. Slick hands. Multiple scouts question his compete level.

Tanner Howe- LW Undersized LW. Was Bedard's linemate. 200ft played who gets under everyone skin. Safe pick, but questionable skating.

Cole Hudson D - Undersized puck moving Defenseman, with elite stick handling. excellent passer. Bloodlines. Some scouts aren't listing him as a high draft pick.

Dean Letourneau - C Giant Center with all the tools. Skating, good hands. Super high ceiling, low floor. Zero compete level from multiple scouts. Interviewed well at the combine.

Maxim Masse - RW Big bodied RW, with soft hands.

Henry Mews - RD Slick skating offensive D man. PPQB, lacks physicality can struggle against physical forwards.

Julius Mettinen - LW Big Finnish winger, already playing in North America in the WHL. Strong two way player know for his defensive abilities. Lots of scouts are really high on what could be with him.

Luke Misa - C Small playmaking center has really strong hockey IQ. Seems very high to be considered as a first rounder. One NHL scout said he wouldn't draft untill the 4th round.

Tarik Parascak - RW Scored 43 goals as a Rookie in the WHL. High Ceiling player who has excellent offensive instincts. Battles for loose pucks, Super high Hockey IQ. Some scouts knock his skating. Others think he's on the small side. Multiple scouts think he is the steal of the draft.

Ryder Ritchie - RW Last season was predicted to possible go in the top 10. Got injured and had a tough season. Good skater, big shot. Can snipe. The tools are all therte yet, multiple scouts gets super frustrated watching him.

Teddy Stiga - LW Undersized winger who doesnt play small. Solid w and w/out the puck. Plays high energy game. Can shoot the puck.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Didn't get to vote but I'm with Eco's Bones.. this mock draft the centers I like are off the board, Pulkkinen would be my choice.

FWIW it's not like some on the list wouldn't be good prospects to have. Also that the one you want most is still available but when the time comes another player is picked. It generally is what happens and at 30 there are any number of guys who are thought of as late 1st to early-mid 2nd possibles. From my perspective though I'd rather a D. Pulkkinen is kind of new to his position, he's overage, he's got lots of tools but is a bit raw but I think to some degree he shares a lot of the same that K'Andre did when we drafted him.

K'Andre wasn't an overage but OTOH he didn't play in the WJC's in his draft year but in his D+1 which is the same year that Pulkkinen does and Jesse was arguably Finland's best defenseman in the tournament. He was both good offensively and defensively and he was physical. He also ended the season as a top 4 on his Liiga men's team. There's a lot there.

As far as the other D men that are on the list I like Badinka next then Freij then Hutson.

Reactions: B17 Apricots

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Yep, Letourneau and Silayev will both go higher than they should in real life cause their size.

Counterpoint: Letourneau and Silayev are actually being underrated by some, who look at their height and assume that's the only reason they're being considered so highly.

EP:
“The things Letourneau did in transition were a bit shocking – it’s wild to see such a big player operate with this level of synchronicity. He blended his hands (absurd range of motion), incorporated a delay game, and worked quick, short passing plays like give-and-goes, flashing a tonne of passing skill. At this level, he’s got a pretty soft touch, working triangle-slip handles, popping pucks through defender’s feet and using weight shifts and lateral pushes to leverage his incredible range further. On top of that, he flashed a legitimate power game.”
"He’s a monster on the forecheck, completely engulfing opponents, and occasionally destroying puck retrievers with his physicality."
"Like most large players, he creates a lot of power through his downforce, and when he leverages weight transfer (which can be inconsistent), the power he generates is absurd. He beat goaltenders clean, hunting high placements, and even leveraged fluid one-timers out of static positions to hammer pucks home."

HP:
"Letourneau has a quick and heavy release on his shot and is in no way afraid to shoot the puck. He developed a strong one timer that he uses effectively on the power play when he is working on the outside. He also excels as a playmaker with good vision and smart passing while making players around him better as a result."
"Letourneau’s skating ability is much better than one might anticipate with good mobility, agility and speed, especially compared to other players his size. As he generates speed up ice, he becomes very difficult to stop as well as when he is down low cycling the puck with his physicality and speed."
"Knowing he is committed to his development and growth as a player as shown by his constant refining of his skills and not relying on his size make him even more attractive as a prospect. The NCAA path will give him the time he needs to refine some of his hockey sense and compete which at times can lack, but this pathway in his development will not rush him and give him all of the opportunity he needs to succeed in a successful college program."

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK

Sure that would be nice but it’s rare that a guy like MT would be there at 30. The nyr are mostly skilled in the nhl, their pipeline not so much. They’ve been drafting players with bite, tenacity & some skill since gortons final season here. They have rempe, edstrom, othmann, syky, Laba, roebreck, berard all have a bit of edge to their game. Besides Gabe I can’t think of a pure skill prospect that is projected to be a top 6 guy. Yes othmann can but like I said he still has an edge to his game.

I’d rather go for a basha or arta type that is a mix. They don’t mind going to the net but won’t back down which for the most is drurys mo while drafting. I don’t hate Letenou but don’t think we should draft cause he tall.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Part of the issue with Letourneau is level of competition. St. Andrews College where he's been playing is pretty much OJHL/AJHL level. It's a Canadian prep school which is maybe a bit better than a United States version but it's not quite the same as a CHL or USHL leagues. Morgan Barron did play for the same school before going to Cornell. Letourneau will go to Boston College which is arguably as top notch a college hockey program as there is. FWIW he was originally scheduled to start at BC in 2025-26 but that changed to this coming year after Will Smith signed with the Sharks. I suspect he'll need at least two years of college.....quite possibly 3 would be best and then we'd see but he might need some AHL time too. His size players usually take longer to fill out head to toe. It's like Rempe's lower body needs more work than his upper body. He does have a lot of skills though and playing for the BC Eagles will certainly up the level of competition for him.

You'd have to look at him as a project. That's not necessarily a bad thing for someone at the tail end of the 1st round and it's one that could turn into a home run. Chris Kreider kind of started out in the same boat. But if we draft him we should expect to be patient. I suspect he'll take some time but the reward might be worth it.

He's not Rempe 2---he's got a lot more skill. I'd still take Pulkkinen over him and maybe Badinka too. Of the forwards I like Letourneau best but Sam O'Reilly or Artamonov would be interesting forward options as well.

apoptygma

2-5-9-11
Apr 9, 2011
Letourneau should do 3, maybe all 4 years of college, then a season in AHL before he is ready. He could absolutly be a home run pick, but it feels like NYR are preparing to contend in all those years he is getting ready to play in the NHL. At this stage I would like NYR to go for someone with a shorter expected timeframe to get to the NHL.

Often a long timeline for D picked so late in the draft aswell, and I feel that forward prospects are often more valuable if we decide to trade the prospect we pick this year in a year or two.

Would love them to trade down for a pair of 2.'s, but if that is not on the table I would go for a forward with a short timeline to the big show to hopefully get more value of the ELC in the next few years.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I think with most guys who we could take at 30 there is a chance of them busting. I don't think Pulkkinen is one of them. But Letourneau could. A lot of times that comes because a player plateaus and doesn't have enough will/determination to get past that or he won't adapt his game for a lesser role. Letourneau's got good tools and you can't teach his kind of size. He's going to play against much tougher competition than he has last year......it may take him some time to get going. It took Perreault about 3 games last year but he's a completely different kind of player who is a danger to make something out of nothing all the time and that's just a top level hockey IQ. It might take Letourneau a year or more. Again to a Kreider comparison. Kreider was great at the WJC in his D+1 year but only so so with BC and he ended up playing 3 years there and I don't think he ever was a point a game player in any of his college seasons and after Kreider turned pro he had some back and forth between the Rangers and the AHL and he struggled at times in both places.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
i'm going to be heartbroken if perreault isn't close to what i think he is, which is basically Fox at W.

he's That f***in Guy.

Reactions: bhamill

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad