Team Board Mock Draft

Who will the Sharks pick?

• Andrew Basha, F, Medicine Hat (WHL)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trevor Connelly, LW, Providence (NCAA)

• Alfons Freij, D, Vaxjo (SWE)

• Michael Hage, C, Michigan (NCAA)

• Cole Hutson, D, Boston University (NCAA)

• Aron Kiviharju, D, HIFK (Liiga)

• Henry Mews, D, Ottawa (OHL)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Great then I’ll keep Bordeleau and let him play on Granlund’s wing and see what he can do
I’d rather give that role to actual good players like Eklund, Zetterlund, Celebrini, Smith or any number of free agent forwards.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
How about a 22 year old W who scored 11 in 27 last year despite getting jerked around?
Am I supposed to be impressed by 11 points in 27 games from a player who provides nothing apart from offense?

Also It’s not “getting jerked around” when you’re gifted a top six role out of camp then eventually get sent down after proceeding to be completely useless.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Am I supposed to be impressed by 11 points in 27 games from a player who provides nothing apart from offense?

Also It’s not “getting jerked around” when you’re gifted a top six role out of camp then eventually get sent down after proceeding to be completely useless.
He was on the third line out of camp because he had a great preseason. I believe you and I watched different games.

I don’t know what DW ever did to you but this weird vendetta you have against him and his family is creepy and borderline psychotic.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
He was on the third line out of camp because he had a great preseason. I believe you and I watched different games.

I don’t know what DW ever did to you but this weird vendetta you have against him and his family is creepy and borderline psychotic.
I think this is the year to figure out what they got in those other B-level prospects (Graf, Bordeleau, Gushchin) as well as guys like Kostin and Zadina (if re-signed) as not the entire wave of major prospects will be here most likely (unclear if Mukh will be up in the NHL, Bystedt still in the AHL, Musty could end up back in juniors, and Smith could stay in college). I think Bordeleau ends up getting a shot (on a cheap 1 or 2-year deal) and if his production doesn't go up significantly, he is probably traded (or not re-signed) next summer.

Last edited:

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021

He started the season between Duclair and Barabanov then played with Eklund and Hoffman. You’re going to get sent down when you fail to score more than 2 points playing with those guys.

I didn’t realize Bordeleau was related to Doug Wilson but that explains the pick. Dougie loved his nepotism.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
He started the season between Duclair and Barabanov then played with Eklund and Hoffman. You’re going to get sent down when you fail to score more than 2 points playing with those guys.

I didn’t realize Bordeleau was related to Doug Wilson but that explains the pick. Dougie loved his nepotism.
I think Bordeleau at center was an epic fail, there is at least some potential for him to stick at wing

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think Bordeleau at center was an epic fail, there is at least some potential for him to stick at wing
I think the clock is very much ticking on both Bordeleau and Gushchin to stick at wing. The team is going to prioritize Celebrini and Smith when they decide to turn pro. In the best case scenario, that leaves them with a 3rd line to try and stick on. Maybe not necessarily the 3rd line but two other lines will be for Celebrini and Smith's benefit rather than hoping someone sticks. And with the team probably looking to prioritize revamping the blue line, those two are going to be likely trade chips for that purpose.

Reactions: Hodge

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I think the clock is very much ticking on both Bordeleau and Gushchin to stick at wing. The team is going to prioritize Celebrini and Smith when they decide to turn pro. In the best case scenario, that leaves them with a 3rd line to try and stick on. Maybe not necessarily the 3rd line but two other lines will be for Celebrini and Smith's benefit rather than hoping someone sticks. And with the team probably looking to prioritize revamping the blue line, those two are going to be likely trade chips for that purpose.
Exactly. We have legit franchise cornerstones now. You don't put Bordeleau or Gushchin or god forbid Collin Graf on Celebrini or Smith's line. You surround them with established NHL veterans who can insulate these young stars physically and defensively.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

This is a perfect example of why people say that your personal vendetta against the previous regime is guiding your opinions. The lineup was a dumpster fire all season, but especially at the start. Eklund had 8 points through the first 2 months of the season, Duclair 5, Hoffman 8 and Barabanov 5. 2 points in 6 games with those guys is on par with their production. You also tore into Barabanov regularly, but now he’s someone Bordeleau should’ve been performing well with? You’re grasping at whatever you can trying to make a point without even researching its plausibility.

Reactions: themelkman

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose

Exactly. We have legit franchise cornerstones now. You don't put Bordeleau or Gushchin or god forbid Collin Graf on Celebrini or Smith's line. You surround them with established NHL veterans who can insulate these young stars physically and defensively.
That's why I think this is going to be the season for guys like Bordeleau/Gushchin/Graf to show they belong in an NHL top-9 imo with Smith possibly going back to college. Give Celebrini a few veterans and have Granlund and Couture babysit these guys on the 2nd and 3rd lines. If they don't stick, dump them next summer with Smith, Musty, and hopefully Bystedt all coming in.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
So you give them meatheads like Kunin who cannot receive a pass and will waste any offense generated? Sounds really good for building these guys confidence passing into black holes.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
So you give them meatheads like Kunin who cannot receive a pass and will waste any offense generated? Sounds really good for building these guys confidence passing into black holes.
No, you give them linemates like Granlund, Zetterlund, Eklund and UFA or cap dump trade acquisitions like Joshua, Foegele, Toffoli, Marchment, Pageau, etc.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
That's why I think this is going to be the season for guys like Bordeleau/Gushchin/Graf to show they belong in an NHL top-9 imo with Smith possibly going back to college. Give Celebrini a few veterans and have Granlund and Couture babysit these guys on the 2nd and 3rd lines. If they don't stick, dump them next summer with Smith, Musty, and hopefully Bystedt all coming in.
Graf is going to be given a little more slack than Bordeleau and Gushchin will since it will be his rookie season and both Bordeleau and Gushchin are going into their 3rd pro year. Bordeleau, in my view, has been given more of a look than he deserves at this stage and Gushchin hasn't been given enough of a look. Both have been pretty much equally productive in two AHL seasons. Bordeleau's NHL time has not seen him really generate much of anything offensively while being non-existent defensively. Gushchin is about the same defensively as Bordeleau but I've seen him generate more offensively in six games than Bordeleau has in 35 games. Granted, those are small sample sizes and a training camp with a new coach can change everything for these two but if I had to choose one to move and one to give a chance to next season, I'm taking Gushchin. I think both are fairly one-dimensional at this stage but Gushchin's skills are more NHL-translatable than Bordeleau.

I don't think Bystedt really impacts any of the wingers and their progression and opportunities but Musty and Halttunen will be turning pro soon as well. But I'd still rather give Bordeleau or Gushchin that opportunity than bring back the likes of Kunin or Zadina who can't play above a 4th line level effectively or score enough to compensate for that.

Reactions: Grinner

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Graf is going to be given a little more slack than Bordeleau and Gushchin will since it will be his rookie season and both Bordeleau and Gushchin are going into their 3rd pro year. Bordeleau, in my view, has been given more of a look than he deserves at this stage and Gushchin hasn't been given enough of a look. Both have been pretty much equally productive in two AHL seasons. Bordeleau's NHL time has not seen him really generate much of anything offensively while being non-existent defensively. Gushchin is about the same defensively as Bordeleau but I've seen him generate more offensively in six games than Bordeleau has in 35 games. Granted, those are small sample sizes and a training camp with a new coach can change everything for these two but if I had to choose one to move and one to give a chance to next season, I'm taking Gushchin. I think both are fairly one-dimensional at this stage but Gushchin's skills are more NHL-translatable than Bordeleau.

I don't think Bystedt really impacts any of the wingers and their progression and opportunities but Musty and Halttunen will be turning pro soon as well. But I'd still rather give Bordeleau or Gushchin that opportunity than bring back the likes of Kunin or Zadina who can't play above a 4th line level effectively or score enough to compensate for that.
Yeah, agree with Gushchin>Bordeleau. I would bring Kunin and Zadina back as 4th liners only...if Zadina wants a bigger role, he can go. I think a lineup of Joshua/Pageau-Celebrini-Eklund, Gushchin-Granlund-Zetterlund, Graf-Couture-Kostin, Zadina-Sturm-Kunin would be fine.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Yeah, agree with Gushchin>Bordeleau. I would bring Kunin and Zadina back as 4th liners only...if Zadina wants a bigger role, he can go. I think a lineup of Joshua/Pageau-Celebrini-Eklund, Gushchin-Granlund-Zetterlund, Graf-Couture-Kostin, Zadina-Sturm-Kunin would be fine.
I don't see any reason to consider bringing back Zadina - he's not an NHL player, minimal offense and invisible without the puck. Kostin more belongs in his spot on this roster.

I also honestly don't expect to ever see Couture in skates again, but that's obviously up in the air.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The biggest reason I would pass on that is because neither Zadina nor Kunin are good penalty killers. Ideally, you want six guys up front that you can rely on to kill penalties. That lineup basically has Granlund, Celebrini, Couture, Sturm, and your Joshua/JGP that are dependable in that role. I'd like the team to go out and get at least one of those 4th line wingers as good PK'ers. Someone like Stenlund.

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
They have ~so many~ good defensemen, they need to trade one for a forward. Even though those defensemen have seen like three total NHL games.

Sorry if the proposal bothered you guys. Im note sure whats between our fanbase... For the rest, Mailloux remains in everyone's plans. Thing is attack is more a problem than defense and Mailloux represents for us one of the greatest assets to obtain quality. Rumors goes on and it appears that RD Levshunov could fall to 5th place, that would make two right-handed defensemen drafted in the top 5 in 2 years... in this context, having a quality attacker at 14th place was an interesting file. That's all folk. Don't give up, we'll see you again in the cup final in a few years. Have fun, enjoy your draft. Thats gonna be good!

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
I don't see any reason to consider bringing back Zadina - he's not an NHL player, minimal offense and invisible without the puck. Kostin more belongs in his spot on this roster.

I also honestly don't expect to ever see Couture in skates again, but that's obviously up in the air.

The biggest reason I would pass on that is because neither Zadina nor Kunin are good penalty killers. Ideally, you want six guys up front that you can rely on to kill penalties. That lineup basically has Granlund, Celebrini, Couture, Sturm, and your Joshua/JGP that are dependable in that role. I'd like the team to go out and get at least one of those 4th line wingers as good PK'ers. Someone like Stenlund.
I don't feel strongly whatsoever about bringing back Zadina, and the odds of Kunin coming back are very high. I would be good with bringing in a veteran PKing winger instead of Zadina. If Couture is donezo, sign Joshua and trade for JGP. A PKing group of JGP, Joshua, Sturm, Granlund, Celebrini, and a veteran 4th line winger should be fine.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Sorry if the proposal bothered you guys. Im note sure whats between our fanbase... For the rest, Mailloux remains in everyone's plans. Thing is attack is more a problem than defense and Mailloux represents for us one of the greatest assets to obtain quality. Rumors goes on and it appears that RD Levshunov could fall to 5th place, that would make two right-handed defensemen drafted in the top 5 in 2 years... in this context, having a quality attacker at 14th place was an interesting file. That's all folk. Don't give up, we'll see you again in the cup final in a few years. Have fun, enjoy your draft. Thats gonna be good!
No slight on you personally, theres just been a good few lopsided trades from MTL fans recently for some reason.

I dont really see our teams as good trading partners right now, but I could see the sharks trading down from 14 for a pure pick deal if the situation was right. Maybe if MTL traded some of those players like Mallioux / Hutson to someone else for a pick around 18-20 then you could package that and 57 for 14.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad