• Charlie Stramel, F, Univ. of Wisconsin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brayden Yager, C, Moose Jaw Warriors

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
See posts #2, #5, #8, #9, #11, #15 - and I hope you’ll understand my question.

The majority of us want Reinbacher or Willander. Almost none of us want ASP, and would rather trade that pick so we don’t draft him.

It’s pretty much the only player we’ve collectively decided we don’t want.

It’s a bit of a reach to draft at 13. Although it’s not by much. Maybe by 3-4 spots.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Thanks for the clarification.

It sounds like you all really want to avoid drafting a winger? Sounds like you want a defenseman (not ASP) but if that’s not possible, you want a center (Moore)?

I personally have Danielson(9th), Reinbacher(10th), Barlow(11th) and Honzek(12th) in a tight, four player tier. So for me, I’d be quite happy to get Barlow or Honzek, here. But if you all don’t want wingers, Moore is a sensible target. Moore(14th) is in my next tier of four with Yager(13th), Wood(15th) and Ritchie(16th). So I’d probably go Yager if I wanted a center. Of course, he’s not a sure-shot C. I am confident Ritchie is. So if I was hellbent on positional preference, he’d be my guy.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
If I were a petty person I’d point out that I told everyone what this draft really was months ago when people kept talking about it as the best draft ever! It’s an elite top of the draft and then a regular draft with worse defensive options.

But I’m not. So I won’t.

I’ll just sit here and take in the reaction to the reality showing up. I’d do the cliche and eat popcorn but I’m so filled up from the delicious reactions of disappointment that I simply can’t have a single kernel.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
All I remember from that draft was wanting Marchand, because I wanted the Sabres to have an Avery clone. I definitely did not see him as the player he became though.
It was taking Dennis Persson over Nick Foligno that has me still going to therapy.

To be serious, in this mock draft Buffalo should take Perreault (BPA) and hope to arrange a FW for RHD trade at some point in the next five years (like the last two years).

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Fun fact: if the player who actually got the most votes won the previous polls…Willander would mostly likely be on the board. He lost the Canucks vote by one so they had a runoff between the top two because that made sense to someone who doesn’t understand how votes work

rt

May 13, 2004
If I were a petty person I’d point out that I told everyone what this draft really was months ago when people kept talking about it as the best draft ever! It’s an elite top of the draft and then a regular draft with worse defensive options.

But I’m not. So I won’t.

I’ll just sit here and take in the reaction to the reality showing up. I’d do the cliche and eat popcorn but I’m so filled up from the delicious reactions of disappointment that I simply can’t have a single kernel.
I think players with profiles like Colby Barlow’s are more often than not Top 10 picks. Not uncommon to be closer to Top 5. I think it’s still a great draft even at 13th. Just not well-suited to your needs, it sounds like.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Thanks for the clarification.

It sounds like you all really want to avoid drafting a winger? Sounds like you want a defenseman (not ASP) but if that’s not possible, you want a center (Moore)?

I personally have Danielson(9th), Reinbacher(10th), Barlow(11th) and Honzek(12th) in a tight, four player tier. So for me, I’d be quite happy to get Barlow or Honzek, here. But if you all don’t want wingers, Moore is a sensible target. Moore(14th) is in my next tier of four with Yager(13th), Wood(15th) and Ritchie(16th). So I’d probably go Yager if I wanted a center. Of course, he’s not a sure-shot C. I am confident Ritchie is. So if I was hellbent on positional preference, he’d be my guy.
Kevyn Adams' drafting:

2020-2022

27 total picks

21 forwards
5 d
1 g

My ideal 2023 Sabres draft if we kept all picks is 6-7d and 1-2g. Wouldnt even pick a forward.

Elite range would be the exception (Benson, Moore, Leonard, Dvorsky), and obviously the 5 franchise players that arent worth thinking about.

rt

May 13, 2004
Kevyn Adams' drafting:

2020-2022

27 total picks

21 forwards
5 d
1 g

Elite range would be the exception (Benson, Moore, Leonard, Dvorsky), and obviously the 5 franchise players that arent worth thinking about.
Interesting. I guess I just can’t put Moore into that category. I think he’ll be there for you all on draft day.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
hope to arrange a FW for RHD trade at some point in the next five years (like the last two years).
Careful, lol. Don't touch that third rail.

It's hard to argue with Perreault's production. Only things scaring me are bulk and if he's already peaked relative to his peers given his advantages in training from his dad.

I think there's absolutely Russian discounting going on with Simashev. We just don't feel it as much because we're comfortable drafting them now. I think his mini rise is starting to show. The size/skating combo is pretty rare imo.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Well, potentially the best defender in the draft is not difficult for me. Although in this scenario I also like Barlow.

He’s just a touch too high at 13 for me personally. Although I’m not gonna bitch and moan if we do draft him there.

I WILL bitch and moan if we draft ASP 13 and he goes at 14 though. I’m already prepared to do that! :laugh:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Because I have enough questions about everyone at this point. And I don't like drafting for need. It's too clouding in judgement to be overly focused on position rather than on talent. There are probably four guys on that list at this spot that I'm fine with and since I can't vote for all four, I pushed in on Simashev after initially rethinking it from Wood.

Reactions: HOOats

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Interesting. I guess I just can’t put Moore into that category. I think he’ll be there for you all on draft day.
I think he's legit. The knocks on him I found familiar, because they were similar knocks against Barzal in 2015.

Because I have enough questions about everyone at this point. And I don't like drafting for need. It's too clouding in judgement to be overly focused on position rather than on talent. There are probably four guys on that list at this spot that I'm fine with and since I can't vote for all four, I pushed in on Simashev after initially rethinking it from Wood.
Well I can basically guarantee that Buffalo won't draft for need. Adams' history is pure BPA.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Well I don't drafting out of necessity, Simashev is the real deal, it's very hard to find a player with so many good qualities, especially a defender. In my list, not only defensemans, but also forwards. But if you look at this vote, then for me it's only two players, Simashev and Barlow.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

We don’t mind a winger if it’s something that’s different from what we already have in spades across the organization.

Players with excellent shots, but aren’t physical (from Buffalo to the AHL to prospects): Skinner, Peterka, Quinn, Olofsson, Kulich, Rosen, Kisakov, Poltapov, Neuchev, Richard, Marjala, Sardarian, and there’s probably 1 or 2 more I can’t think of.

The D pipeline is barren. If Johnson walks, our best prospect is Lindgren or Komarov.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Reinbacher is a favorite target.

Bob Mac's rankings have given hope that Oliver Moore actually makes it to 13.

Rumors of Benson slipping.

Basically, my first 2 tiers of guys are wiped out on this mock, and we're at the start of the next tier.
Perreault is not falling past Buffalo when he jus broke the records set by Matthews and Hughes. There's only a slim chance he makes it to us, and I really doubt it. Benson isn't slipping to us either.

Moore will definitely be there, and Reinbacher is likely to be available too. I think you'll be happy with who's available at 13.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think he's legit. The knocks on him I found familiar, because they were similar knocks against Barzal in 2015.

Well I can basically guarantee that Buffalo won't draft for need. Adams' history is pure BPA.

Right and this is not Adams. This is fan-based so we're going to look at position and tick a box. I may go change my vote back to Wood. It's that much of a coin toss for me.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I think players with profiles like Colby Barlow’s are more often than not Top 10 picks. Not uncommon to be closer to Top 5. I think it’s still a great draft even at 13th. Just not well-suited to your needs, it sounds like.
Barlow is basically Sam Bennett, so at 13 I'll take him easily with the scenario given by the OP.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad