Team Board Mck Draft

Who will the Sabres take?

• Sacha Boisvert, C, North Dakota (NCA

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Andrew Basha, F, Medicine Hat (WHL)

• Igor Chernyshov, LW, Dynamo Moscow (KHL)

• Trevor Connelly, LW, Providence (NCAA)

• Alfons Freij, D, Vaxjo (SWE)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
I think if our center prospect pipeline wasn't Ostlund and Kozak and that's literally it.......Yakemchuk would've been more popular.

At least for RHD we've got Strbak at Michigan State and Komarov who's going to Rochester next year. And McCarthy I suppose too.

But our center pipeline is BARREN.
You have to look at the whole organization. Tage, Cozens, Krebs, Kulich, Ostlund, Savoie, Kozak all play center.

Not saying they all end up at center or even that we can't use another center in the pipeline, but to me that's waaay less barren than...

Joki
Clifton
Strbak
Komarov

We've got nothing at the top and not that much behind them at the most premium position in hockey.

Now if people want to argue Yakemchuk in particular sucks, I'll listen, because I've literally never seen him play. I was just genuinely surprised to see he wasn't the pick.

He isn’t that small and they kinda suck at center depth so it is viable. And I say that as someone who went with Sennecke.
Power forward also makes a lot of sense to me.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
You have to look at the whole organization. Tage, Cozens, Krebs, Kulich, Ostlund, Savoie, Kozak all play center.

Not saying they all end up at center or even that we can't use another center in the pipeline, but to me that's waaay less barren than...

Joki
Clifton
Strbak
Komarov

We've got nothing at the top and not that much behind them at the most premium position in hockey.

Now if people want to argue Yakemchuk in particular sucks, I'll listen, because I've literally never seen him play. I was just genuinely surprised to see he wasn't the pick.
Also keep in mind that Dahlin, who's signed for 8 more years......is better on the right than the left. So he's the #1 pair RD for a good long while. Samuelsson can play either side. Power has shown some ability on the right. Johnson has shown some ability on the right.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland

Joki
Clifton
Strbak
Komarov

Power forward also makes a lot of sense to me.
I've been team Yakemchuk for months, love his game as any mistakes are errors of commission as Calgary sucks and he tries to do too much. Moving Mitts for Byram swung the pendulum towards C as IMO Ostlund is the only legit C prospect in the system and you now have 4 top 4 d under 23yo

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
Also keep in mind that Dahlin, who's signed for 8 more years......is better on the right than the left. So he's the #1 pair RD for a good long while. Samuelsson can play either side. Power has shown some ability on the right. Johnson has shown some ability on the right.
All debatable, IMO.

I mean, Tuch's a good player. Just play him at C. Problem solved...

I would just feel so much better if we had one blue chip at RD.

I would bet that the big, mean, 30 goal RD won't be there when we pick anyway. So probably a moot point.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
He isn’t that small and they kinda suck at center depth so it is viable. And I say that as someone who went with Sennecke.
and if they keep 43 they should definitely use it on a center like Surin or Boilard or Beaudoin or even Letourneau.

Something with a different flavor, like the Wahlberg pick. Helenius is a prospect we already have.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
and if they keep 43 they should definitely use it on a center like Surin or Boilard or Beaudoin or even Letourneau.

Something with a different flavor, like the Wahlberg pick. Helenius is a prospect we already have.

Eh, I'm more MBN/Sennecke as my preference if they go forward but I can understand people looking at the small guys they have at center on the prospect list and thinking a stocker guy is more appealing regarding Helenius. And lets not forget, he produced in the Liiga, not down in the U20 SM-liiga. He's got offensive production better than a guy like Lundell. There is a lot to like about what he's doing and it is probably being oversold that he's "small". He's got about 2.5" on Benson, over an inch on Savoie, and he already outweighs Ostlund by nearly 20 lbs and is 2 years younger.

There are plenty of solid picks at that spot. It's not worth getting worked up over, honestly.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Eh, I'm more MBN/Sennecke as my preference if they go forward but I can understand people looking at the small guys they have at center on the prospect list and thinking a stocker guy is more appealing regarding Helenius. And lets not forget, he produced in the Liiga, not down in the U20 SM-liiga. He's got offensive production better than a guy like Lundell. There is a lot to like about what he's doing and it is probably being oversold that he's "small". He's got about 2.5" on Benson, over an inch on Savoie, and he already outweighs Ostlund by nearly 20 lbs and is 2 years younger.

There are plenty of solid picks at that spot. It's not worth getting worked up over, honestly.
I like the 3-4 players everyone has bantered around, but this "might" be the year you have to sacrifice the pick to progress the current lineup.

spfan

May 4, 2009
If you watched the team you'd have realized that they had zero matchup ability. The top 6 can score, the 3rd line has been misfits and the 4th was meh at most. Buffalo needs size with skill on the wings as Benson 5'9, Savoie 5'10, Peterka 5'11, Kulich 5'11, Rosen 5'11, Quinn 6', Skinner 6'. Out of those wingers only Quinn and Benson are defensively proficient. Lots of small offensive wingers that have marinaded in the AHL so moving a few makes perfect sense as possible choices for #11 Helenius as C is a weakness, Yakemchuk for a nasty RHD, Sennecke big wing, Brandsegg-Nygard big wing.

As of today
Skinner - Thompson - Tuch
Quinn - Cozens - Peterka
Benson - xxxx - Greenway
Xxxx - xxxx - xxxx

Forwards signed for next season, so tell me how effective Rosen and Kulich will be on the 4th line
It's not all about size. Benson should tell you that. A lot of teams look like fools for not having taken him.

You’re going to have a tough time convincing most Sabres fans that the difference between upl and Saros is 2 first round assets when upl just finished with a higher sv% and gaa than Saros while playing for a worse team defensively.
I like UPL. Levi still has potential too, but Saros is definitely more proven. I'd do that over grabbing a 6'4" bottom 6 player.

spfan

May 4, 2009
Dahlin is basically decent in defense, but Power and Byram are not, they need nannies. If we choose a defender, I hope it will be Silaev or Yakemchuk, they are more suitable than Parekh. The pick can also be traded, it has to be on the table for right deal, just like any of our prospects other than Benson.
Silayev certainly won't be there. He's going to go way too high. But don't be upset, he's not that great.

Yakemchuk would be a fine pick. Although he's not exactly a rock solid defensive player either.He's just a bigger Parekh really.

Teams will probably be scared of Jiricek, but he'd be a good fit too. I like him more than Yakemchuk.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY

Eh, there isn't much else to do until the playoffs are over.

I think people are just flat out wrong on their explanation as to the situation at center....Noah Ostlund isn't our only center prospect, despite the no true scotsman arguments I'm reading.

I watched Kulich play there all year and succeed until the playoffs...I've watched Savoie look fine there for 2 years. Ostlund somehow became the only savoir despite being visibly smaller than the entire Amerks squad.

I dislike the Helenius pick because in the future he either booms a la Aho and inserts into the top 6, or you're knowingly picking him with the intention of using him in the bottom 6. Do you think he projects to be better than JJ, Quinn, Tage, Cozens, Benson, or Savoie/Kulich?

Conversely, our defense isn't as set as you might believe. Owen and Rasmus are here, locked in. Byram, we need more information; I think he's here, but a lot of us admit that he's a weird fit. Sammy can't stay healthy, so I'm making no bets.

So Yakemchuk gives us exactly what we don't have. We have a bundle of wingers and centers. We have an elite goalie prospect about to graduate. Our best d prospects are all likely bottom pair guys (we'll see with Komarov). Yak gives us an instant top 4 D prospect, and if there isn't space, big RD as trade assets will hold incredible value vs trying to package Helenius with a 1st to make something happen. For all the excitement about center Ostlund here, whenever his name comes up as a trade idea to other teams' fans, he shockingly isn't that valuable.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
We have ONE C prospect...ONE. Forcing Kulich into a C role and watching him struggle there, and hoping Savoie can be one...doesn't make them C prospects. They are built to be skill-based wingers that will need defensive help from bigger or more experienced/reliable players on their line. Even Ostlund will need help like that as the only true C prospect with a strong defensive aspect to his game.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
We have ONE C prospect...ONE. Forcing Kulich into a C role and watching him struggle there, and hoping Savoie can be one...doesn't make them C prospects. They are built to be skill-based wingers that will need defensive help from bigger or more experienced/reliable players on their line. Even Ostlund will need help like that as the only true C prospect with a strong defensive aspect to his game.
"Forcing Kulich into a C role and watching him struggle there"

You mean using Kulich there in watching him succeed until the playoffs?

"hoping Savoie can be one"

I'm not hoping, that's the position he plays.

"Even Ostlund will need help"
Oh, so Ostlund needs defensive help too? But he remains A TRUE CENTER PROSPECT...because....you said so? The same reason I'd list Savoie as a center? They both play center?

You know who else might need some defensive help? Helenius. So by your own logic, this pick solved nothing. Just added to the the skill based forwards pile where you arbitrarily decide who is and isn't a center.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
"Forcing Kulich into a C role and watching him struggle there"

You mean using Kulich there in watching him succeed until the playoffs?

"hoping Savoie can be one"

I'm not hoping, that's the position he plays.

"Even Ostlund will need help"
Oh, so Ostlund needs defensive help too? But he remains A TRUE CENTER PROSPECT...because....you said so? The same reason I'd list Savoie as a center? They both play center?

You know who else might need some defensive help? Helenius. So by your own logic, this pick solved nothing. Just added to the the skill based forwards pile where you arbitrarily decide who is and isn't a center.
Kulich and Savoie are widely looked upon as wingers at the NHL level. It's not just me. So yeah, the more true C prospects we have the better, considering we have three flawed Cs on the NHL roster and nobody else.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I would rather go out and get a real 3C and drafting the winger with potential to be one of the most valuable playoff pieces in the league.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Some of you guys think we're going to sit with a hole at C for 3 years?

Not at all, just looking at the picks available there with how this broke, picking someone like Helenius is understandable. There are plenty of guys there who could be useful in a few years, certainly.

Reactions: Matt Ress

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Not at all, just looking at the picks available there with how this broke, picking someone like Helenius is understandable. There are plenty of guys there who could be useful in a few years, certainly.
I get it but we talk all year about having the same type of guys in the system, complaining about lack of grit and assertiveness so we want to go grab the same soft player and complain about the same things. That doesn't make sense to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad