Confirmed with Link: [TBL/UTA] Lightning trade Mikhail Sergachev for Conor Geekie, J.J. Moser, 2025 2nd, 2024 7th

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Seems to be a great trade for all involved. Sergachev will get to be a number one and play powerplay line1. Lightning got out of a 8.75 million cap hit for 8 years, got a serviceable young defenseman at 2 million who can be rfa and bridged at end of season, 11 pick from last year 6 foot 3 center, and a 2nd round pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Everyone I'm seeing who's familiar with Moser says he is being undervalued by the hockey media at large. Feels like our left side will be a lot more balanced. McD might decline, but at least we aren't sinking almost 1/3 of the cap into one position.
Yep. Moser should be a good middle pair D, and at worst would be one of the best 3rd pair D in the league.

Really excited to see what Geekie does in Syracuse or even Tampa this year coming out of junior. I felt he was mildly overrated in the Dub, but his player type is the one you win with in the playoffs.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Thinking about it more, Geekie provides an insurance safety net in our prospect pool if Howard doesn't become a consistent NHLer. Geekie will at worst be a solid Swiss Army knife who can play up and down your lineup, contributing physically with his big body presence, likely settling in on a 3rd line. Reminiscent of the type of player that Ducks have loved dating back to their 2007 Cup team.

Reactions: Hoek

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Oh wow the guy with bad player opinions has bad poster opinions, too. Here is my shocked face.

Utah has a new fan.

Still a little shocked this got done.

Moser is exactly what we needed in a 3/4 defender who isn't going to get much PP time. He's good for ~30 5v5 points and is going to give you mistake-ish free defense. Sergachev was always an out of place luxury with Hedman on the team.

Somehow half this board didn't realize that.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Thinking about it more, Geekie provides an insurance safety net in our prospect pool if Howard doesn't become a consistent NHLer. Geekie will at worst be a solid Swiss Army knife who can play up and down your lineup, contributing physically with his big body presence, likely settling in on a 3rd line. Reminiscent of the type of player that Ducks have loved dating back to their 2007 Cup team.
He was an 11th overall pick who, yeah, probably became a man among boys in the W. Still, I feel like he's immediately the best prospect in our pool.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Yeah, this is what I mean. Seems like guys are high on Moser.

No way Sergachev is a top 20 defenseman in the league though.

But with #1PP time, he will probably hit 50 points.

Seems like most fans just look at point totals, they don’t understand the main point of being a defenseman. Sergachev is certainly capable of putting up a ppg with top pp time though, makes sense why we traded him and Utah wanted him

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Yeah, this is what I mean. Seems like guys are high on Moser.

No way Sergachev is a top 20 defenseman in the league though.

But with #1PP time, he will probably hit 50 points.
Because the Lightning are a Sun Belt team, most people don't watch them on a consistent basis during the regular season, so they just regurgitate the narratives from 3-4 years ago. Almost every non-Lightning fan on Twitter thinks Sergachev is incredible, so they obviously didn't watch his piss poor 2023-24 prior to the injury. Passing the puck to nowhere, just braindead decision making in the defensive zone.

He's a good offensive number 3 or 4, but plays like a number 5 or 6 in his own zone. He'll frustrate fans in Utah quite a bit IMHO

Reactions: DFC

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Because the Lightning are a Sun Belt team, most people don't watch them on a consistent basis during the regular season, so they just regurgitate the narratives from 3-4 years ago. Almost every non-Lightning fan on Twitter thinks Sergachev is incredible, so they obviously didn't watch his piss poor 2023-24 prior to the injury. Passing the puck to nowhere, just braindead decision making in the defensive zone.

He's a good offensive number 3 or 4, but plays like a number 5 or 6 in his own zone. He'll frustrate fans in Utah quite a bit IMHO
Yeah, I never saw #1 potential in Sergachev. Maybe a low-end #1, but he just doesn't seem to have the awareness necessary to be "the guy" back there. Always thought he would top out at a #2, and right now I would say if he's a good #3.

I think JBB has a hand shake deal done with the agent of Jake Guentzel is why

Would not surprise me probably 7 year term 8 AAV
It kind of does reek of some kind of tampering. Not sure what the deal will be, but I hope we're not going to 9. It was reported that Carolina offered 8x8.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Yeah, I never saw #1 potential in Sergachev. Maybe a low-end #1, but he just doesn't seem to have the awareness necessary to be "the guy" back there. Always thought he would top out at a #2, and right now I would say if he's a good #3.
I stopped believing in his potential in 2021. He wasn't anything special in the 2nd of the back to back Cups, where McDonagh was absolutely elite. And his 2021-22 was a generally a mixed bag, which is why so many pondered the possibility of trading him at the 2022 Draft for a HAUL instead of a bloated extension.

Reactions: GoBoltz56

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I stopped believing in his potential in 2021. He wasn't anything special in the 2nd of the back to back Cups, where McDonagh was absolutely elite. And his 2021-22 was a generally a mixed bag, which is why so many pondered the possibility of trading him at the 2022 Draft for a HAUL instead of a bloated extension.
Yeah, I mean, we paid him for potential, which is a thing we hadn't done before. Then in 22/23 he wound up on PP1 long enough to hit 60 points, but somehow it still didn't feel like a "great" season, and Hedman had reclaimed the throne by year's end.

To me he wasn't drastically overpaid. He's just drastically overpaid for a guy who's primarily an offensive D, and blocked from putting up big numbers (by Hedman). So what were we paying for? When we brought McDonagh back, suddenly that question got even worse.

I'm happy JBB wasn't serious about keeping all three of them. Now I'm hoping he's equally not serious about letting Stamkos walk for a tiny slice of cap.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
Canada
Moser was very solid in the Coyotes games I watched last year. Played pretty well as a top 4 guy on a bad team. He’s still 24 so theres probably room for more growth especially considering he seems to have been drafted 2 years late as a 2nd rounder. So he probably made lots of strides to go from being passed up on for 2 drafts to being a 2nd rounder. I’m speculating but the point is he could potentially be a legit top 4 guy as Mcd slows down or if there’s injuries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad