Confirmed Signing with Link: [TBL] F Jake Guentzel signs extension with the Lightning (7 years, $9M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
A little high on his caphit but a really good player. Likely plays with Cirelli and it will be interesting to see his point production because this will be the first year in Jakes career that he's not playing with a star center. I still think he scores 40 goals because him and Point will both be the teams main triggermans. I would expect to see at least 20 PP goals from Jake on the PP taking Stamkos old spot.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Replace 40g Stamkos with younger 40g Guentzel. Very different players but I see where they're going here. Jake should age well too. His game is 99% between his ears.

A little high on his caphit but a really good player. Likely plays with Cirelli and it will be interesting to see his point production because this will be the first year in Jakes career that he's not playing with a star center. I still think he scores 40 goals because him and Point will both be the teams main triggermans. I would expect to see at least 20 PP goals from Jake on the PP taking Stamkos old spot.
Jake's not really a half wall shooter, and his value comes from the fact that he doesn't need the PP to produce. He's one of the best 5v5 scorers in the league. The Pens only used him on the top PP the last few years, once Kessel left. If he is there, he's better served playing around the net. He's not a typical back to the goalie net front presence, more like a bumper guy or a floater that can cover puck retrieval in the corner and then drift to the backdoor post.

Reactions: aylib

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I don’t know how to properly quantify it- best way I could put it is Guentzel ain’t going to be the one getting the line he’s on exits, entries, going end to end, beating guys one on one and drawing defenders. Not his game, doesn’t create his own space. To be really effective he needs a guy to carry the puck and someone to create.

He’s a sneaky guy off the puck, will make little plays to keep possession and is really good as a one touch passer and finisher from dangerous areas, especially the low slot. For instance he’d legit score 70 goals with McDavid but Pens don’t win a Cup with him instead of Kessel on the Hagel-Bonino-Kessel line.
This is a good description. Jake will never wow you athletically with speed, slick skating, shot, any of it. But he's always in the right place for the puck to find him, and he always makes the right decisions once he has it to get a scoring opportunity or at least maintain possession. He worked so well with Sid because he can actually see the ice as well as Sid does. He will fit with anyone though for the same reason, but he won't be the guy sucking three defenders to him to create that space. He fills the space others create.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Guentzel is a more effective player than Stamkos at this point, yet I think the Lightning will badly miss what Stamkos still brought to the point where I don’t know if Guentzels advantages will make up for it.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Things Bolts fans will enjoy...
- Fantastic 5v5 scoring
- Brilliant at fooling defenders away from the puck.
- He is not the fastest skate, smoothest, or rapid in transition. But he is good across the board. One of those things that one aspect of his skating will never stand out. But the sum of the parts of his skating will more than often allow him to get to the correct spot.
- He is a very cerebral player. He will do things sometimes and you will say to yourself how the f*** did he see that. Not some highlight bat out of the air or some spin-o-ramma goal. But just how did he see A to B to C?

Things Bolts Fans will be frustrated with...
- He can't be depended on to lug the puck. He needs someone else to shoulder that on his line. Not that he can't do it at all... Just don't expect that from him and be pleased when he does pull it off.
- It VERY rarely happens... But when it does you can see it. When he get frustrated he goes into what I can only call "Square Peg, Round Hole" mode. Where he will try the same thing 20 times just to force the result he wants. Again. Rarely happens. But when it does I have basically been sitting there watching the game and say to myself "Well. Jake's basically out of the game now." Which feeds back into the cerebral aspect of his game... Its very rare but when he gets into his own head. Just basically count him out for the game unless someone talks him back from that edge.

Overall... He is a player who's production would say he should be able to deliver on his own. But he is best suited with a player that will draw the primary attention and he can be there to bounce off of with creativity and opportunity. That is where Jake thrives. Playing with someone else that play hockey to a cerebral level and capitalize on opportunities when they present themselves.

Reactions: Zwui21

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Replace 40g Stamkos with younger 40g Guentzel. Very different players but I see where they're going here. Jake should age well too. His game is 99% between his ears.

Jake's not really a half wall shooter, and his value comes from the fact that he doesn't need the PP to produce. He's one of the best 5v5 scorers in the league. The Pens only used him on the top PP the last few years, once Kessel left. If he is there, he's better served playing around the net. He's not a typical back to the goalie net front presence, more like a bumper guy or a floater that can cover puck retrieval in the corner and then drift to the backdoor post.
I think it's mostly about the 5v5 scoring. This was a weakness for us last year. It was masked by how lethal we were on the PP.

The PP will need an adjustment. But we have seen it dominate without Stamkos at least twice before this, when he was out with long term injuries.

Reactions: Regal

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
But he is best suited with a player that will draw the primary attention and he can be there to bounce off of with creativity and opportunity. That is where Jake thrives. Playing with someone else that play hockey to a cerebral level and capitalize on opportunities when they present themselves.
Him and Kuch are gonna be best friends soon

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
If he is stapled to Cirelli then I doubt he gets 65-70 points

Cirelli is awful offensively. Terrible. He isn't a 2C even though our brilliant, amazing, smarter than everyone else in the room...paid him like it.

Team that win, roll multiple lines.

We haven't had that in years. We still lack scoring depth. Nothing has changed.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Seems excited being in Tampa now.

If he is stapled to Cirelli then I doubt he gets 65-70 points

Cirelli is awful offensively. Terrible. He isn't a 2C even though our brilliant, amazing, smarter than everyone else in the room...paid him like it.

Team that win, roll multiple lines.

We haven't had that in years. We still lack scoring depth. Nothing has changed.

Would like to see a Guentzel - Point - Kucherov line, it has the potential to be the up there with the best in the league. But then Tampa would have no scoring depth on the 2nd line. I do think Jake would have chemistry with Kucherov..

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019

It will be interesting to see how Cooper adjusts their #1PP unit with Stamkos gone. Kucherov to Stamkos one-timer on his off wing was such a go to for Tampa for 5+ years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad