Confirmed with Link: [TBL/CAR] Lightning trade 2025 3rd for Jake Guentzel

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
This could be his last contract and I just don't see him going lower than the total value Carolina offered him, which was ~$61M after taxes in NC. IMO that has to be the floor with a starting offer, and I don't see us going lower than the max years we can offer which is 7.

Plus, we're in win now mode. I don't think JBB gives a flying f*** about 7 years down the road lol...no offense. Lowering AAV is the best way to win now.
9.25x7 it is then. I'm with JBB. Get the best out of the core (Vasy, Point, Kuch, Hed, Guentzel) and roll from there.

Reactions: Zwui21

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
The other bidders were the canes and Canucks

Unless he hates Florida I don’t see why he wouldn’t take 9.25 per year
To be on a line with Point and Kuch and in the Cup race for the next 4 years he would be nuts not to. I think some of our kids from the Cuse might surprise us also. We just need more pieces on the blue line and Boqvist might be a depth option.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I know its just speculation, but am I the only one that thinks 9+ for Guentzel is insane? We haggled with Sramkos over every pennie because we had too many holes to fill. How is giving Guentzel 9+ not the same thing?

Last edited:

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I know its just conjecture, but am I the only one that thinks 9+ for Guentzel is insane? We haggled with Sramkos over every pennie because we had too many holes to fill. How is giving Guentzel 9+ not the same thing?
He's essentially a five year younger version of Stamkos and better on the forecheck. Stammer is my guy, but Guentzel is the better player at the moment. 9M better? I don't think so. Probably fair market value but Im hesitant going that high on him particularly. I definitely agree that spending on a shiny new toy when we just moved an 8.5M one and seemingly are putting Stamkos on the sideline, it's audacious. Fans are definitely not going to like walking from Stamkos regardless of who we sign, whether that's Guentzel, depth or whoever. Not bringing back 91 is going to ruffle feathers.

Reactions: PaulGG and DaBolts

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I know its just speculation, but am I the only one that thinks 9+ for Guentzel is insane? We haggled with Sramkos over every pennie because we had too many holes to fill. How is giving Guentzel 9+ not the same thing?
9 is insane for him but he can get it tomorrow if it’s not here

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

Let's be real, JBB doesn't wanna bring Stamkos back but can't just come out and say it. Guentzel is Stammers replacement.

No problem with signing Guentzel, it's not bringing back Stamkos that is the problem.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
He's essentially a five year younger version of Stamkos and better on the forecheck. Stammer is my guy, but Guentzel is the better player at the moment. 9M better? I don't think so. Probably fair market value but Im hesitant going that high on him particularly. I definitely agree that spending on a shiny new toy when we just moved an 8.5M one and seemingly are putting Stamkos on the sideline, it's audacious. Fans are definitely not going to like walking from Stamkos regardless of who we sign, whether that's Guentzel, depth or whoever. Not bringing back 91 is going to ruffle feathers.
My post wasn't about comparing Stamkos to Guentzel. It was about the value and not wasting or overpaying on assets so we can fill holes.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I find it very bizarre there haven't been any updates from insiders regarding Guentzel
BriseBois being tight lipped while working feverishly to get this done. Additionally, 70% of the hockey media being in Canada and basically all of the top insiders being in Canada means that they either don't have the sources in every US market, nor do they try as hard to break news for Sunbelt US teams. If Guentzel's rights had been traded to Vancouver, there would be more info/updates, 100% guaranteed. Canadian teams bias is real.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
My post wasn't about comparing Stamkos to Guentzel. It was about the value and not wasting or overpaying on assets so we can fill holes.
I know the implications but Guentzel fills a hole. We desperately need a winger. Desperately. Stamkos really isn't it. He's depended on faceoffs quite a bit and Cooper might be thinking of Hagel/Cirelli more than Hagel on the first line these days. Signing a top line winger is welcomed and if we have the cap space and hole, a must. We moved the 8.5M luxury at LD to fill a need up front. That's brilliant work at reallocating cap on the roster. And we got replacements and futures by doing it.

The "issue" like @Rschmitz said is that we have the cap space to do both, yet we seemingly arent. Our top six would have probably 3 years of being lethal together, and locked up, if we brought back Stamkos as well.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I think a logical one is Cernak goes someplace like NJ that is a big D team and is full of young offensive minded D-man. Does he really fit Cooper's vision?
We speculated during the season that teams like Chicago, Seattle, Utah, and Calgary would all be fits. New Jersey already has Hamilton, Nemec, and presumably Pesce once he signs tomorrow; I don't think the Devils are a fit now.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Guentzel isn't the biggest guy and will be 30 when the season begins. The numbers being thrown around for him are insane if it's a long term deal. Good player, but it's hard to imagine him at 35, 36, 37 being worth anywhere close to the AAVs I'm seeing.

It's cool to add a legit 1st line winger, but at that price? Not feeling it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad