Confirmed with Link: Sabres Sign Jason Zucker, 1 year, $5M AAV

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I think the high AAV is a 1 year surcharge more than a specifically Buffalo thing. You'd imagine he's really only going to get one more contract after this.

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
I'm hoping the fancy stats are right and my eye ball test is wrong. This guy looked done last season.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
Could have just waited and bought out Skinner later, instead of using Cap Space for such a move.

Skinner had to go right now. He's 100% the wrong guy.

Do you want a $3M winger on your top line? Because that's what Skinner's worth on the market.

Zucker is the Olofsson replacement. Peterka and Quinn replace Skinner's production and then some.

Not worried and won't look back, even if McD and Drai feed him for 40.

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
Before last year, his last in Pittsburgh he scored 27 goals with malkin and rakell. Most of them were him and malkin doing the heavy lifting. He just seemed to have unreal instincts to find soft areas and get to them seconds before pucks would get to him. He’s got a lethal one timer from the slot/right circle as well. I definitley think he has gas left in the tank. I’d start him out with cozens and Quinn and see what he can do with him. Maybe I’m in the minority but I really don’t care too much that we basically swapped out skinner for Zucker. They’re both 5 on 5 players who would put up similar numbers if Zucker was gifted top minutes and pp time with the top players instead of middle 6 most of his career imo. My gripe is that we didn’t add another top 9 forward, weather that be a wing or 3c.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Before last year, his last in Pittsburgh he scored 27 goals with malkin and rakell. Most of them were him and malkin doing the heavy lifting. He just seemed to have unreal instincts to find soft areas and get to them seconds before pucks would get to him. He’s got a lethal one timer from the slot/right circle as well. I definitley think he has gas left in the tank. I’d start him out with cozens and Quinn and see what he can do with him. Maybe I’m in the minority but I really don’t care too much that we basically swapped out skinner for Zucker. They’re both 5 on 5 players who would put up similar numbers if Zucker was gifted top minutes and pp time with the top players instead of middle 6 most of his career imo. My gripe is that we didn’t add another top 9 forward, weather that be a wing or 3c.
I watched the same youtube. There was one where he was in a battle with his check in front of the net, basically moved the guy off him, gets open for a pass, and scores.

I didn't see much of him grinding or digging pucks out - but he initiates contact and is physical. If Krebs is their 3C (or Kulich), there could be a fit there with Greenway.

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
I watched the same youtube. There was one where he was in a battle with his check in front of the net, basically moved the guy off him, gets open for a pass, and scores.

I didn't see much of him grinding or digging pucks out - but he initiates contact and is physical. If Krebs is their 3C (or Kulich), there could be a fit there with Greenway.
Do they have a goal by goal ? I only remember a few of them from that year off the top of my head , but he’s always been a good player at floating and getting to soft spots in the slot and infront of the net. I mean even in Minnesota (I didn’t/don’t watch a ton of minny games) but I felt like he was sort of the same way there. I could honestly see him hit 20-25 goals here. Just needs to play with the right guys, and I think cozens might be the best fit for him in all honesty just because he’s big and fast. Maybe it’ll bring out what he had with geno 😂😂

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Do they have a goal by goal ? I only remember a few of them from that year off the top of my head , but he’s always been a good player at floating and getting to soft spots in the slot and infront of the net. I mean even in Minnesota (I didn’t/don’t watch a ton of minny games) but I felt like he was sort of the same way there. I could honestly see him hit 20-25 goals here. Just needs to play with the right guys, and I think cozens might be the best fit for him in all honesty just because he’s big and fast. Maybe it’ll bring out what he had with geno 😂😂

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Some of his metrics look really good compared to his other seasons, he’s been a reasonably effective midline player in a couple of stops, and he has stones we can see from space if you consider what he did to Nick cousins last year against Florida. If somebody’s gonna run around and be a giant douche hammer, at least there’s one guy on the team we know who gives no f***s about putting the guy headfirst into the boards. Just saying, there’s some Spine there too many of these punks have not exhibited.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Some of his metrics look really good compared to his other seasons, he’s been a reasonably effective midline player in a couple of stops, and he has stones we can see from space if you consider what he did to Nick cousins last year against Florida. If somebody’s gonna run around and be a giant douche hammer, at least there’s one guy on the team we know who gives no f***s about putting the guy headfirst into the boards. Just saying, there’s some Spine there too many of these punks have not exhibited.
That whole Cousins situation probably was something the sabres put in the + column.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Exactly. Put him on a secondary scoring line with Cozens, and suddenly Cozens doesn't need to be the only one handling beef on the ice. I like this signing more and more.

Reactions: Dingo44

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Skinner had to go right now. He's 100% the wrong guy.

Do you want a $3M winger on your top line? Because that's what Skinner's worth on the market.

Zucker is the Olofsson replacement. Peterka and Quinn replace Skinner's production and then some.

Not worried and won't look back, even if McD and Drai feed him for 40.

Who needs 40 goals.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Who needs 40 goals.
Hasn't happened here since the 18-19 season. He put up 46 pts in 74 games last year while being awful defensively and playing lazy. So, I think we know what we're getting here at this point. If playing for a contender lights a fire under his ass, so be it. It would show how little he cared last year.

Why would I want a player like that on my team? A team that isn't contending this year. So I can watch him mope around the ice again?

And, to be fair, the entire core was rotted last year outside of Dahlin. So, why should I be upset that one of our supposed veteran leaders of that core is gone now? 🤔 or should we run back the same top-6 that was annoyingly inconsistent? That'll teach the boys!

I like that Adams had the balls to get rid of a core player who exhibited so many of the issues in our top-6. He's the epitome of many of our issues. Sorry, Jeff, you're the sacrificial lamb because Im certainly not sacrificing Cozens, Peterka, Quinn, Tage, or Tuch instead. That can come in the foreseeable future if they continue half assing it like Skinnet did last year.

Last edited:

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
When they come with 70 goals against…not buffalo.

Maybe he’ll actually put in some effort on his new team, having to earn a new contract.

There is just zero evidence of that in the last three years in Buffalo. He's been a positive five on five, just not worth $9 M and most of the contract was a sunk cost.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I could see Zucker easily filling in on the top 6 when necessary
Bolded is the devil.

He should by no means looked at as a fixture on either of the top 2 lines. You need him as an option where Ruff needs to shuffle lines, or a player goes down with injury and he gets plugged in. If he's there opening night, Sabres have problems.

Reactions: Fjordy

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Bolded is the devil.

He should by no means looked at as a fixture on either of the top 2 lines. You need him as an option where Ruff needs to shuffle lines, or a player goes down with injury and he gets plugged in. If he's there opening night, Sabres have problems.
I'm more concerned with the center spine and defense makeup than I am about Zucker playing with Cozens and Quinn. I actually think he can compliment that line quite well unless he's toast. Time will tell.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I'm more concerned with the center spine and defense makeup than I am about Zucker playing with Cozens and Quinn. I actually think he can compliment that line quite well unless he's toast. Time will tell.
Jury is out for me on all these guys. Last year was so difficult and frustrating. Since people are beating dead horse around here, I always thought Granato's coaching was suspect, and it seems like that is an opinion that is still held in the minority. I am curious what effect Ruff will have.

I never saw Cozens as anything more than a third line center, but people that assess NHL talent professionally are very bullish on him as even a #1. ROR ceiling even.

Thompson - I was shocked he made the transition 2 years ago and had the year he did. I thought that was just dumb luck. But then last year happened and it seemed like every team had his number at C.

Krebs- I just don't see it - but again, I guess we'll see.

Fourth line looks legit, FINALLY.

So for me, and for others, LOTS of hand-wringing. Upgrading with a Top 6 C seems like a no brainer, as others can slide left, right, or down.

I do think, despite Adam's protestations and attempts to sign UFAs, he ultimately hesitates when it looks like it will impact his forward plans past this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad