Value of: TB Garrison/Coburn and Tyler Johnson to NJ

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Do you really believe yourself when you say that? That's not realistic at all given the circumstances of Johnson having one year left on his deal and relieving cap space by getting rid of one of your defenseman.

The Dmen are not cap dumps.

Johnson is a very strong center who would be a probably be a #1 center on 1/3 of the teams.

He isnt a 1 yr to UFA ---IIRC he has 3 seasons till UFA. That has immense value.

You need to give to get---you will likely need to give up Zacha

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
so what I'm concluding is that you guys think Tyler Johnson will be resigned and Palat is going to be the odd man out?

And my offer would have been a 1st and a prospect or two (not named Zacha) Such as Jacobs and a few others.

That doesnt get him---this isnt NHL17

Yes Tampa Bay has an issue of having some players exposed in the expansion draft where they will have 2 decent forwards and a decent Dman exposed (they have to take Filpulla).

ou may have a better shot being willing to take Filppula/Callahan as part of the deal.

Tampa Bay likely tries to move a Filppula woith an incentive because of the NMC and then probably offers one of their other forwards for some picks or exempt players. Johnson being a center likely stays and will cost more than say Palat

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
You wonder how much 5'8 Johnson benefited by centering Kucherov and Palat? Because his value might be inflated because of that, like how Bozak got his points playing with Kessel.

Not sure what your point is? Anyone who has watched Johnson play has seen how talented and important he is to the Lightning. He has been phenomenal in the playoffs and in no way should be compared to Bozak.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Do you really believe yourself when you say that? That's not realistic at all given the circumstances of Johnson having one year left on his deal and relieving cap space by getting rid of one of your defenseman.

You're asking for a good #2 center (even with one year left he's still got a good amount of value) and a second pairing defender (neither of whom are cap dumps). Those aren't going to be cheap assets.

You asked what it would cost, that was the response, it seems reasonable to me, I'm not sure what the problem is.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
Johnson and Garrison or Coburn would likely fetch a 1st round pick and another pick plus one of New Jersey's forwards prospects and one of New Jersey's defensemen that is on their current roster.

The Devils will not part with Pavel Zacha and Tampa Bay probably isn't interested in any of New Jersey's other prospects, not much to choose from anyway because NJ's prospect pool is pretty shallow.

If I were Tampa's GM I'd rather keep Johnson, Garrison and Coburn unless Zacha was in the discussion which he is not.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
So we will revisit this in a year when TB has no money to sign Palat/Johnson

My house is so big I can't get great wifi in the 8th bedroom.

First World hockey problems.: I've got too many great players I can't afford them all!!!

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
My house is so big I can't get great wifi in the 8th bedroom.

First World hockey problems.: I've got too many great players I can't afford them all!!!

Terrible analogy lol. You can just go to the 6th room and get better wifi. In the NHL, just can't add depth for free ;)

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
What would TB realistically be expecting in a trade for one of Jason Garrison or Brayden Coburn and Tyler Johnson?

-NJ takes on 8 million in cap and gets a Defenseman and Top 6 Center

-TB makes room to resign Kucherov

Hmmm I suspect you're confusing Coburn and Carle.
Carle is the one that's bad.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
You wonder how much 5'8 Johnson benefited by centering Kucherov and Palat? Because his value might be inflated because of that, like how Bozak got his points playing with Kessel.

Johnson is way better than Bozak. All it takes is for someone to watch both of them play for about 5 minutes. Come on man.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
What would TB realistically be expecting in a trade for one of Jason Garrison or Brayden Coburn and Tyler Johnson?

-NJ takes on 8 million in cap and gets a Defenseman and Top 6 Center

-TB makes room to resign Kucherov

What did Tampa decide they were to good and want to help NJ. Neither one of those defensemen are cap dumps and Johnson is solid. Be ready to pay way more than you think you will.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Last year, that was probably true (Johnson played large portions of the year injured). The year before, it wasn't true at all. Johnson was the best player on the line, the year the triplets were the best line in the NHL.

His major drawback is he may or may not be injury prone, and he's not nearly the same player when he loses his speed.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't understand why people keep thinking Yzerman's going to get robbed in a deal, simply because he's forced to make one. Hasn't happened yet, despite plenty of opportunity. (MSL, Stamkos as a rental, Drouin) Doubt it happens here either.

If someone like Johnson gets traded, there will be plenty of teams vying for him, so TB will get solid value.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA

Why do you feel you need to put his size like its a negative. In today's NHL size does not matter at all. Johnson blended with his line mates but his success is cause he is very talented. Maybe watch him play a bit not to mention he is a monster in the playoffs, maybe his line mates benifit by playing with him.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

you think zacha has more value than johnson+coburn/garrison?

wow

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

Bozak 2014-2015 - 49pts in 82 games (0.60ppg) WITH Kessel
Bozak 2015-2016 - 35pts in 57 games (0.61ppg) WITHOUT Kessel

thats weird. Bozak actually scored at a better rate last year without phil. he also dropped from -34 to -9. kinda blows up the point you were trying to make, which didnt really make sense to begin with doesnt it?

nucks fans :shakehead

YennoItFlames

Sep 1, 2016
how about this thought? Who would you rather have Zacha or Johnson? Garrison and Coburn aren't dumps... So it'll be a dman prospect(with nice upside) or high pick

Hictor Vedman*

Unregistered Hedman
Sep 30, 2014
Ottawa
how about this thought? Who would you rather have Zacha or Johnson? Garrison and Coburn aren't dumps... So it'll be a dman prospect(with nice upside) or high pick
Zacha has played one NHL game.

TJ has played 242, and 47 playoff games.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM...

Tough choice mate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad