Taxes on UFAs signing in Montreal.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Hull, Briere, Hossa, Stamkos, Tavares, Panarin - all of who Habs confirmed to have serious interest in signing: met with / offered a contract to.

No traction on any of the close to PPG players who rarely hit the market
I think to a man, their agents used the habs to drive up the prices...

I still maintain, that winning..............is the cure.

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
So many factors come into play. Taxes, weather, housing price, travelling distances, etc.

But the most important thing IMO is the quality of your organization. Weak organizations will only land UFA that they grossly overpay.

Barry Trotz said lately that income taxes has a bigger impact on depth players since they usually don’t have many paydays and they try to maximize their worth. He believes it is not as important for star players.

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
It appears that being paid multi-million dollars to play a game we all played when kids is just too much for these guys. They should all quit asap so we can take their place and deal with the stress of being recognized celebrities playing for the most fabled franchise in the sport...and collect their 8 figure salaries. OBTW we also get our summers off. Tough life!

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
I don’t see why so many people are reacting about Pezzatta comments. He just said what everyone already knew..
Your right, I just got triggered because it’s a useless player lucky to have a job making the comments.

I hope he goes to a divisional rival so I can watch Caufield or his mom for that matter kick his ass like everyone in the league does. And reboot Anderson’s career playing against him.

Some place with a low tax rate so he signs long term.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
#1: Sarcasm

#2: How do you go about searching for a thread whose last post was six years ago?
Click on Magnifying glass on toolbar. Then click on gear icon on right. search here or another forum. Click on titles only.

A first hand account on amount of taxes players pay in Montreal is important. Coming from a current Hab. Very up to date. Shows why so hard to sign UFA. I think they so rich now for some stars it doesn't matter like it once did. I think winning will overshadow money some. If they have 45 million in the bank and no cups. Or 40 million and couple of cups. Which is better?

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
It appears that being paid multi-million dollars to play a game we all played when kids is just too much for these guys. They should all quit asap so we can take their place and deal with the stress of being recognized celebrities playing for the most fabled franchise in the sport...and collect their 8 figure salaries. OBTW we also get our summers off. Tough life!
They are amongst the top 750’ish in their profession … no different for top Dr, financial types, lawyers or any profession.

Reactions: ReHabs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

A winning culture is key. No doubt about that. Look at Slaf, he wants to fit within this core and do something special. Otherwise, he could have easily pushed for a bridge so he can cash in after it.

100% agree. Having a strong team that can win is the most important at luring talent.

Reactions: ReHabs and BLONG7

John B

Nov 19, 2016
I don’t see why so many people are reacting about Pezzatta comments. He just said what everyone already knew..
What did he say? I can't find it when I google it. Just a bunch of garbage about him fighting Ryan Reaves.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
What did he say? I can't find it when I google it. Just a bunch of garbage about him fighting Ryan Reaves.

He was specifically asked about Montreal taxes, and in a way where it was clear the interviewer wasn't in favour of MTL's high taxes.

He answered honestly saying in his first year he lost 54% to tax and 14% to escrow. He didn't bring it up of his own accord, nor was he pitching a change or whining about it.

Reactions: John B and Vachon23

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Your right, I just got triggered because it’s a useless player lucky to have a job making the comments.

I hope he goes to a divisional rival so I can watch Caufield or his mom for that matter kick his ass like everyone in the league does. And reboot Anderson’s career playing against him.

Some place with a low tax rate so he signs long term.
Seems like you’re taking this a little personal, lol.

Reactions: Naslundforever

jackeymoon

Tropical!
Jan 16, 2018
Northern Ontario

My god you quebecers are sensitive about being ripped off by your government. I've lived in a few different provinces and 2 eu countries. The return on taxation in Quebec is far and away the worst. Travel a bit and realize you're being taken over the barrel by your gov

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Some of these comments I'm reading about Pezzetta are completely insane.

He said he was surprised at how much was cut from his pay check. 14+4+54% is a huge chunk of change when you've been waiting for years for what is essentially a lottery ticket.

You're getting 210 our of 750k (minus a substantial amount for his savings and summer training/coaching). A big amount, but he has a short shelf life, is in the highest pro league of his sport, has high injury risk and it costs hundreds of thousands to train an NHLer.

He didn't whine either, he even said it's a still a substantial amount, he was just voicing his surprise.

Last edited:

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

He said he was surprised at how much was cut from his pay check. 14+4+54% is a huge chunk of change when you've been waiting for years for what is essentially a lottery ticket.

He didn't whine either, he even said it's a still a substantial amount, he was just voicing his surprise.
Exactly. He didn't bring it up so who cares.

Reactions: bcv

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

You're getting 210 our of 750k (minus a substantial amount for his savings and summer training/coaching). A big amount, but he has a short shelf life, is in the highest pro league of his sport, has high injury risk and it costs hundreds of thousands to train an NHLer.

Maybe people on here can finally see why tax free states have such an advantage

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Maybe people on here can finally see why tax free states have such an advantage
It's not tax-free, it's just 37% (US Federal income tax). It's important to note this because people really start thinking that certain jurisdictions have the advantage of ZERO taxes, which is just not true.

37% and 54% are significantly different and yet not impossibly different once accounting tricks are applied.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

Actually Brett Hull was *very* close to joining the Canadiens. He had essentially agreed to sign with Montreal. The Red Wings, Rangers, and Canadiens were in pursuit and Hull favoured the Wings because they were highly competitive at the time. But the Red Wings offer didn't entice him, and they fell out of the chase. The Canadiens offered Hull a two-year $10 million deal and Hull chose to join Montreal.

"About two weeks ago, when Detroit had left the picture (temporarily), I was firmly committed, I thought in my mind, to signing with the Montreal Canadiens," Hull said. "One afternoon, I called (agent) Mike (Barnett) and I was 100 per cent sure that I was ready to commit to the Montreal Canadiens."

The Red Wings then came back into the picture, offered $9 million and Hull went to Motown.

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021

So if you have a choice to work in a warm, sunny, hip location next to the ocean with no state taxes vs a snowy, cold, boring, highest taxes in North America location, with all else being equal, you will volunteer for the 2nd option?

Sorry, couldn't be me.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Actually Brett Hull was *very* close to joining the Canadiens. He had essentially agreed to sign with Montreal. The Red Wings, Rangers, and Canadiens were in pursuit and Hull favoured the Wings because they were highly competitive at the time. But the Red Wings offer didn't entice him, and they fell out of the chase. The Canadiens offered Hull a two-year $10 million deal and Hull chose to join Montreal.

"About two weeks ago, when Detroit had left the picture (temporarily), I was firmly committed, I thought in my mind, to signing with the Montreal Canadiens," Hull said. "One afternoon, I called (agent) Mike (Barnett) and I was 100 per cent sure that I was ready to commit to the Montreal Canadiens."

The Red Wings then came back into the picture, offered $9 million and Hull went to Motown.
That was close..............always a bridesmaid no matter how we slice it.
If HuGo can turn us around, where winning is the norm, maybe we can snag a great player looking to win a Cup!

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
It's taxes but it's also the language. Sure - there are many English speaking people/schools/etc and us as Canadiens fans know this - but to someone on the outside - why uproot your family to somewhere that predominantly speaks another language, while simultaneously having the highest tax rate? We have to overpay, it's the only remedy.

No slight to Quebec intended. If I were to choose between going to Nashville or Germany - language and taxes considered - it's an easy Nashville.

It's why the Leafs with a similar tax rate, still attract more FA interest IMO.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
That was close..............always a bridesmaid no matter how we slice it.
If HuGo can turn us around, where winning is the norm, maybe we can snag a great player looking to win a Cup!

Not at all. We've had to sign a ton of quality FAs over the years because we suck at developing.

If you look back 20 years pretty sure Montreal well into the upper-echelon of teams who had to go get key pieces in Free Agency. A hell of a lot more than the California teams or Tampa Bay for example. I think Guentzel might be the first really big UFA fish they've ever gotten?

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
It's taxes but it's also the language. Sure - there are many English speaking people/schools/etc and us as Canadiens fans know this - but to someone on the outside - why uproot your family to somewhere that predominantly speaks another language, while simultaneously having the highest tax rate? We have to overpay, it's the only remedy.

No slight to Quebec intended. If I were to choose between going to Nashville or Germany - language and taxes considered - it's an easy Nashville.

It's why the Leafs with a similar tax rate, still attract more FA interest IMO.
As Canadians, we're never ever winning that battle with a hard salary cap. It is how it is.

Not at all. We've had to sign a ton of quality FAs over the years because we suck at developing.

If you look back 20 years pretty sure Montreal well into the upper-echelon of teams who had to go get key pieces in Free Agency. A hell of a lot more than the California teams or Tampa Bay for example. I think Guentzel might be the first really big UFA fish they've ever gotten?
If you look back 20 years, that's almost exactly when the salary cap became a thing, funny you had to choose that specific timeline lol.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
As Canadians, we're never ever winning that battle with a hard salary cap. It is how it is.

If you look back 20 years, that's almost exactly when the salary cap became a thing, funny you had to choose that specific timeline lol.

I think there's a misunderstanding here.

I'm saying that the Canadiens have done very well on the Free Agent market in the last 20 years. They've attracted a lot of quality players because they've had to due to lack of prospect development.

Montreal doesn't struggle in Free Agency is my point.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

Easily their best free agent signing is one that nobody cared about at the time: Martin St. Louis.

But the Bolts have definitely been active in free agency over the years. They signed Wendel Clark, Dave Andreychuk, Denis Savard, Mattias Ohlund, Olaf Kolzig, Kevin Shattenkirk, Anton Stralman, Pat Maroon, and Valeri Fillipullaa just off the top of my head.

EDIT: I just remembered they made that crappy deal to re-acquire Matt Carle. They gave him a big beefy six or seven year contract that they ended up buying him out of.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spring in Fialta

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I think there's a misunderstanding here.

I'm saying that the Canadiens have done very well on the Free Agent market in the last 20 years. They've attracted a lot of quality players because they've had to due to lack of prospect development.

Montreal doesn't struggle in Free Agency is my point.
Other than Leafs / Tavares no Cdn team has ever been able to sign a PPG UFA F

Habs have been able to sign 2nd & 3rd tier talents not top-20 scoring talents - in the rare exception one is available they always sign with a large US market (NYR, Phi, Chi) or a southern no tax market.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Easily their best free agent signing is one that nobody cared about at the time: Martin St. Louis.

But the Bolts have definitely been active in free agency over the years. They signed Wendel Clark, Dave Andreychuk, Denis Savard, Mattias Ohlund, Olaf Kolzig, Kevin Shattenkirk, Anton Stralman, Pat Maroon, and Valeri Fillipullaa just off the top of my head.

Gotcha, a couple of those are before my time.

Andreychuk, Ohlund, Strawman, Maroon, Shattenkirk and Filppula isn't bad at all.

I think I'd pick Samsonov, Hamrlik, Cammalleri, Gionta, Cole, Radulov and Toffoli over that bunch.

That Habs batch is actually really solid when you think about it although Samsonov flopped here before bouncing back in Carolina.

Other than Leafs / Tavares no Cdn team has ever been able to sign a PPG UFA F

Habs have been able to sign 2nd & 3rd tier talents not top-20 scoring talents - in the rare exception one is available they always sign with a US market

Mike Cammalleri in 2009. Claude Giroux in Ottawa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad