Value of: Tavares

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
I agree with all points….appreciate the discussion. His game is a little slower and that 11m would be nice to reallocate. With the potential of resigning Ryan OReilly I think the hole gets filled too.

He is absolutely still a good player just hard to surround with the right fit. Marner better with Matthews. Nylanders a game a little too fast.

It would be an awkward conversation too but I think he knows it’s a business and if the answer is no then both sides move forward no harm no foul.

Finding a team with that cap space is a damn valid point….have to be a team he’d go to, so a contender. And such teams rarely care about actual cost vs AAV. They’d also need the space. Probably a dead end.

Don’t wanna lose any of our other money hungry superstars because we have this contract tho. Wish it was shorter term and that Spezza type discount was 1 year earlier to help with that.

Maybe the boys will surprise me with their new contracts and it’s all a moot point.

Thanks again.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Far more likely for Tavares to play out his contract and go the Spezza route. But definitely not that cheap. Probably like a 4 year 5-6 million dollar deal if he wants to stay in Toronto.

Just realized he will be 35 when his contract expires. I could see a 2-3 year deal in the 4-5 million area.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
NMC plus the Leafs dont have a legit #2C option at the moment. and JT would still be a #1C of 50% of the teams in the NHL. he goes nowhere...and hopefully once his current contract is done, he resigns for Spezza like $$.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I understand others may have had higher peaks but in terms of consistency there has not been anyone better since he arrived. You always know what you’re getting with John. Whether that’s a good thing or bad, left for discussion but in all honesty we almost saw this contract to the end and it hasn’t yet aged as badly as I originally imagined. The look this would give the Leafs towards future UFAs makes it not worth even exploring

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I think it would be a bad idea to trade him, a the return will be less than what he brings and more importantly it can send the wrong message to any other player that may want to come home and play....cough cough McDavid

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
“Keep in mind after the leafs pay his bonuses his actual salary drops to 910 k for 2023 and 2024. And the team would only have to pay him one signing bonus of 7 million which bring the total financial commitment to just over 9 million over 2 years which is an average of 4.5 a year over 2 years.”
None of that matters because he's not waiving to go to a cap floor team.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It's hard to get him to waive and make the team better.

Maybe Dallas? They were on his short list in UFA

Faksa
Dellandrea
2nd

JT currently has produced 30 goals in 70GP, 72 points overall

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Hopefully the Leafs never approach him about waiving.

He’s not declining as most people expected of him by now, I think his contract will age out just fine. Think he will reward the Leafs with a steal of a contract after this one. He’s still the only suitable captain material atm.

Still haven’t forgiven the organization for publicly pressuring Sundin to waive his ntc.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
He’s held up well but you can tell by watching him he’s not the player he once was. At an $11 million cap hit for the next two years he would be tough to move especially as there are few teams that could absorb the cap hit and the few that could are not competing.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I don't know what fair value would be for a slightly below PPG player that has been playing a 1B/2A C role, but in this day and age, a monstrous contract would have to be coming back, one way or the other.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
If a team has something better, why would they trade for Tavares?
Are you purposely being obtuse?

Common sense dictates teams have different needs. Hence why trades happen in the first place. Shouldn't be hard to understand that a team may want a 30 goal ppg elite faceoff centre and for the right price, obviously a team could put up an offer that is seen as better from the leafs pov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad