Value of: Tavares

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
IF we could get Tavares to waive what is the return? 2 years at 11m aav. Is there a market.

Edit: Added @Puckstuff point below

“Keep in mind after the leafs pay his bonuses his actual salary drops to 910 k for 2023 and 2024. And the team would only have to pay him one signing bonus of 7 million which bring the total financial commitment to just over 9 million over 2 years which is an average of 4.5 a year over 2 years.”

Last edited:

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Keep in mind after the leafs pay his bonuses his actual salary drops to 910 k for 2023 and 2024. And the team would only have to pay him one signing bonus of 7 million which brings the total financial commitment to just over 9 million over 2 years which is an average of 4.5 m a year over 2 years.

Fans wouldn’t care about this but a team owner that doesn’t want to spend to the cap might find paying a PPG player for only 4.5 million a year for 2 years to be valuable.

What team would want a veteran goal scorer with a high cap hit and a lower salary level deal? Maybe Buffalo.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Keep in mind after the leafs pay his bonuses his actual salary drops to 910 k for 2023 and 2024. And the team would only have to pay him one signing bonus of 7 million which bring the total financial commitment to just over 9 million over 2 years which is an average of 4.5 a year over 2 years.

Fans wouldn’t care about this but a team owner that doesn’t want to spend to the cap might find paying a PPG player for only 4.5 million a year for 2 years to be valuable.

What team would want a veteran goal scorer with a high cap hit and a lower salary level deal? Maybe Buffalo.
Awesome. I should’ve included this in post.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Tavares will likely be a Leaf the rest of his career. 100% not waiving his NTC.
might as well just forget about this idea
I mean yeah it seems like it would be the best place to get cap back its just impossible.
atleast next season should be the final deadcap year

Not only that, but it's doubtful Toronto would even ask him about this. Maybe they only do it in theory if they have a deal lined up, but will he accept to any team? And if he agrees but they don''t trade him, where does that leave the relationship? Hard to imagine he's not at least somewhat disgruntled. It's a long limb for Toronto to go out on just asking him about this.

CapsFrontOffice

Jul 8, 2014
IF we could get Tavares to waive what is the return? 2 years at 11m aav. Is there a market.

“Keep in mind after the leafs pay his bonuses his actual salary drops to 910 k for 2023 and 2024. And the team would only have to pay him one signing bonus of 7 million which bring the total financial commitment to just over 9 million over 2 years which is an average of 4.5 a year over 2 years.”
Yeah you are looking at a dump, not a trade. You may have to package that contract with something shiny to get it moved. Tavares to Arz or Chicago?

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Dubas wouldn’t ask him to waive so doesn’t matter but regardless he is performing well right now, PPG 30G season, so I am sure some poor team would love him to hit the cap floor given how little he is owed after his summer bonus

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I don't think the salary part is that relevant when you consider that Tavares would most likely only waive to a contender. So you eliminate the teams just going to cap floor/or using filling up on cap space w/ low salary. You're left with maybe a handful at most that Tavares would feel like he's contending with. He's a point per game player who might see his production dip on another team. I think at most you're willing to go 8.5-9 million here for short term leadership, production and filling a hole on your roster. But 11 is probably too high.

The return you're looking at depends on the team he's waiving for. Should he decide to go to a bottom team that has plenty of cap space and will take advantage of that lower salary, you're probably going to get a little more than a contending team taking on that salary.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
He's most likely not getting moved during this contract.
But don't necessarily agree with @Arthur Morgan that he will retire a Leaf.
After this deal is done, he will just be turning 35, he might find a 3rd act elsewhere

StewieP19

Dec 13, 2022
Maybe a Team like Colorado can be interest @ 50%.
Colorado will have a lot of change this summer.
They have Compher Eller Rodrigues Cogliano Helm Nieto E. Johnson all UFA and Byram Newhook Malgin RFA

ALine

May 14, 2012
Even if he waived, Tavares at 11 mil cap hit would be incredibly difficult to move. Good player and I’m sure teams would love to add him, but no contenders have that kind of cap space just laying around.

The only way the Leafs would even approach him about it is if next summer goes horribly, horribly wrong. Like Matthews says he won’t re-sign and won’t waive his last year for a trade. Nylander does the same. Mitch is great but he can’t carry a team, they might look to just blow it up at that point.

In that case, there would be no reason not to retain, and Tavares at 5.5 mil cap hit would be extremely valuable and fetch a great return in a trade.

Reactions: PhiladelphiaKessel

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

If you trade him the summer, thr new team is on the hook for all of 24

after 23 bonus is paid it’s about $9M in real money owed.

who has $10M in cap space, and
would want him and
might be a playoff contender

Toronto likely gets a 6 th and a contract back.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010

I think it’s better to keep him. He’s been one of our best performers in elimination playoff games. Will cost massive assets and cap space to replace what he brings and when his contract is up in a few years there’s a good chance he takes a hometown discount to stay here ala Spezza and Giordano. Wouldn’t surprise me if the Leafs sneak in a hand shake agreement on a front office position after he retires.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Cap space has value as we’ve seen this past year. There’s very few teams that could fit him under the cap and the question is whether they could weaponize their cap space more effectively. Also keep in mind most of the teams with the cap space aren’t competing right now so I’m not sure they’d want Tavares.
So I’d say the return would be modest at best.

Reactions: Petrus

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
He's most likely not getting moved during this contract.
But don't necessarily agree with @Arthur Morgan that he will retire a Leaf.
After this deal is done, he will just be turning 35, he might find a 3rd act elsewhere
he seems to be very happy here and isnt his wife and kid from around here too? I can just see him taking the Spezza route and retire a Leaf

Reactions: Blaylock38 and Ciao

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
he seems to be very happy here and isnt his wife and kid from around here too? I can just see him taking the Spezza route and retire a Leaf
i get it, and you may be right,
but Spezza was turning 39 when he retired,
JT will be turning 35 when his Leafs deal ends
lotta top guys move around a bit late career - Thornton, Perry, Messier, etc

anyway, yep, you may be right,
but if re-signing with Leafs is protracted, a team may offer a desirable 3rd act

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad