Tavares, what are you doing? Endorsements?

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Someone who delivered to my place of work was diagnosed with terminal cancer. Someone sold him this idea about grounding his bed into the earth would cure his illness. I didn't have the heart to tell him it was all bullshit. It truly gave him hope, and who am I to dash that.

I see why someone would create a thread like this, but what is the underlying motivation of this thread? That hockey players can endorse products that might not work? That Tavares is not a role model for kids? To not accept wooden nickels?

My wife's Aunt has crystals all over her house. Should I tell her that's she's a fool for wasting her money?
There's a big step between somebody you know owning things vs a celebrity using their fame to promote things to impressionable people. There's a reason that these companies try to get stars to promote their products... because it works and more people buy their products.

These type of products also use fake/manipulated scientific studies (or blatantly lie) to "show" their products work... I won't get into aligning yourself with Russel Brand given they're "just" allegations (multiple) at this point.

People in the medical field and famous influencers should be held accountable when they endorse lying products. Especially if they don't believe in them themselves which has become more of a social norm (however, we don't know in this case).

Edit: Any steps that can be taken to stop false advertising (on all products) should be explored. That includes unhealthy products disguised as healthy options, fake products endorsed by "doctors" or "experts", and manipulated study results.

Last edited:
Reactions: Metroid and Obo

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Doctors once stated that cigarettes had no impact on someone's health. Doctors also told you you didn't need to mask, then you did, and then you didn't, and that Covid wasn't transmitted in a restaurant if you got in with your "Vaccine Passport". They also said it didn't come from a lab.

I respect medical professionals, but like any other profession, it is politicized, corporatized, and monetized. During the height of the pandemic one of the 'experts' was a disgraced high school teacher.
Russell Brand and John Tavares are more truthful than Peter Hotez.

Reactions: MilkofthePoppy

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
People in the medical field and famous influences should be held accountable when they endorse farce products. Especially if they don't believe in them themselves which has become more of a social norm (however, I don't know in this case).

Didn't a bunch of influencers and athletes get sued for promoting crypto-currencies?

Might be a warning for anyone thinking of putting their name and face as ambassador of quesrionable products like these.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
There's a big step between somebody you know owning things vs a celebrity using their fame to promote things to impressionable people. There's a reason that these companies try to get stars to promote their products... because it works and more people buy their products.

These type of products also use fake/manipulated scientific studies (or blatantly lie) to "show" their products work... I won't get into aligning yourself with Russel Brand given they're "just" allegations (multiple) at this point.

People in the medical field and famous influencers should be held accountable when they endorse lying products. Especially if they don't believe in them themselves which has become more of a social norm (however, we don't know in this case).
exactly…

20210615_colbertsBack_3x2.jpg

Reactions: MilkofthePoppy

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Didn't a bunch of influencers and athletes get sued for promoting crypto-currencies?

Might be a warning for anyone thinking of putting their name and face as ambassador of quesrionable products like these.
Yeah, cryptocurrencies are ill defined from a legsl standpoint and therefore I believe the argument is that theyre a "financial instrument" which should be regulated under other existing organizations (the SEC) which have stricter guidelines/rules for product promotion.

NFTs are another situation that was an incredibly slimey business practice that some athletes took advantage of and knowingly endorsed (or set up their own) when many knew the value would quickly tank.

If nothing else, there are some severe ethical concerns with these type of promotions and celebrities should not be immune to the backlash that they may experience. Many athletes knowingly (not assuming JT, for now) promote these things to make another million while that $ comes from low-income families and people who have only heard lies about a product's worth.

If people promoting products were held accountable, you would see a lot more of this shit go away as there would be a lot less people promoting pseudoscience crap which would lead to less fake scientific findings, less news coverage, and finally less people believing/buying these things.

I don't blame individuals for believing in these products. I blame large organizations for manipulating scientific studies, celebrities that endorse products that they don't believe in, and for media that promote this crap to impressionable minds (especially children).

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
I've got absolutely nothing against guys getting paid with side gigs/endorsements - but if you're going to publicly endorse something as silly as this, one has got to accept the mockery that comes with it
You can laugh at me and make posts on internet forums all day long if I'm taking home $250k.

Reactions: Tie Domi Esquire

Leafs98

Sep 26, 2007
If i was the mypillow guy I'd invent sheets that protects against electro rays of the internet of things, while you are sleeping. He's missing an opportunity

Reactions: Jojalu

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022

Edit: Any steps that can be taken to stop false advertising (on all products) should be explored. That includes unhealthy products disguised as healthy options, fake products endorsed by "doctors" or "experts", and manipulated study results.
You're naive if you believe that most celebrities are virtuous.

If you believe that they generally hold a higher standard of integrity, but this is a deviation from that standard, then I don't know what to think.

Perhaps there's an organic lentils company that Tavares can make big money endorsing, but doubt it.

gswift

Mar 27, 2013

Funny that being on a hockey forum, the promotion of something non hockey related is causing a stir, meanwhile when new equipment lines roll out, nobody criticizes the "10% more pop, better accuracy, better energy transfer, etc." claims that hockey players endorse. I'd say it's even worse in the case of hockey equipment, cuz while they promote stick for example, it can often be completely different than the product they're using/older models but it's covered in the latest retail graphics...

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Yeah, cryptocurrencies are ill defined from a legsl standpoint and therefore I believe the argument is that theyre a "financial instrument" which should be regulated under other existing organizations (the SEC) which have stricter guidelines/rules for product promotion.

NFTs are another situation that was an incredibly slimey business practice that some athletes took advantage of and knowingly endorsed (or set up their own) when many knew the value would quickly tank.

If nothing else, there are some severe ethical concerns with these type of promotions and celebrities should not be immune to the backlash that they may experience. Many athletes knowingly (not assuming JT, for now) promote these things to make another million while that $ comes from low-income families and people who have only heard lies about a product's worth.

If people promoting products were held accountable, you would see a lot more of this shit go away as there would be a lot less people promoting pseudoscience crap which would lead to less fake scientific findings, less news coverage, and finally less people believing/buying these things.

I don't blame individuals for believing in these products. I blame large organizations for manipulating scientific studies, celebrities that endorse products that they don't believe in, and for media that promote this crap to impressionable minds (especially children).

This product here that he is endorsing....

It supposedly protects against harmful wifi radiation. Or something like that. Except there is already a widely known much cheaper alternative.

It's called a Tin Foil Hat.

Reactions: Community

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Yeah, only the government is allowed to hawk pseudo-science. Have they been able to define a biological woman yet? As for the 5G stuff, there was a buried story a few years ago about teachers getting sick from working near one of the towers. Look for it, I believe it was TDSB staff. Also, look into wind turbines, the noise pollution they create, and how it can affect people and animals. I don't believe in this product and would never buy it but dismissing people's concerns and blindly putting your trust in the 'authorities', especially after Covid is just utter stupidity.
This isn't the right forum to have this conversation - but I'll only say that in all the reputable scientific journals that have complex peer review systems, there's no indication, anywhere, that the "5G stuff" is an issue.

I wasn't dismissing people's concerns, so apologies if I came across that way. However, there also needs to be some element of common sense pushback against some of this drivel that just shouldn't be believed. We have a duty to accommodate and help one another

Reactions: Metroid

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
I don't recall any (fake) outrage when athletes were endorsing Cereals, McDonald's, Red Bull, Gatorade, Tim Hortons, etc.

All garbage for you

matthews-ksi-paul.jpeg

But it's okay a "portion" of the proceeds went to sick kids :sarcasm:

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Pyramid power, man!

See the Toronto Star story, below:

Pyramid scheme paid off for 1976 Maple Leafs​

Red Kelly’s Leafs ended Philly drought against Broad Street Bullies in playoff cauldron by thinking outside the box.
Nov. 12, 2016
3 min read
Save

pyramid-power

Leafs coach Red Kelly figured if the power of the pyramid cured his kid’s headaches, maybe it could help the club’s playoff hopes against the Flyers n 1976. Yes, it was a long shot, but ...
Frank Lennon / Toronto Star file photo

By Kevin Shea SPECIAL TO THE STAR

As part of the Leafs’ centennial season, the Star is taking a look at significant moments in the franchise’s history:
The Toronto Maple Leafs eliminated the Pittsburgh Penguins in the opening round of the 1976 playoffs and moved on to face the Philadelphia Flyers, tagged the Broad Street Bullies for their truculence.
“The goon squad was in Philadelphia,” recalled Red Kelly, who coached the Maple Leafs at that time. “That was the type of hockey they played.” Yet, a combination of goals and goonery had resulted in Stanley Cup championships in 1974 and 1975 for the City of Brotherly Love.
ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW

NSL co-founder Diana Matheson on joining Canada’s women’s team in interim support role

Leafs owner Harold Ballard wildly predicted that his Leafs would win the series in five games. That was going to be no easy feat. Philadelphia had collected 118 points during the regular season while Toronto had accumulated 83. Plus, Toronto hadn’t won a game at the Philadelphia Spectrum since Dec. 19, 1971.
The team rolled into Philadelphia to try to break that drought. The Flyers, however, enlisted their secret weapon: Kate Smith. She belted out “God Bless America” as only she could prior to the opening faceoff. Kate Smith was the good-luck talisman the Flyers used when they needed an important win. She had been a radio, television and recording star for over five decades. Although sensitive about her weight, she titled her autobiography Living In A Great Big Way.
The Leafs lost the first two games in Philadelphia. Kelly needed something to energize his team and its fans. He chose a most unique strategy: Pyramid Power.
“Casey (one of Kelly’s daughters) had bad headaches, so we tried whatever we could to get the headaches to go away,” he explained. “Andra (his wife) had read about the power of pyramids, so we tried a small one under her pillow, and her headaches disappeared. Andra suggested it for the team. I was ready to try anything.”
Prior to Game 3 at Maple Leaf Gardens, without the knowledge of his players, Kelly placed five plastic pyramids under the Leafs bench. The brawl-filled contest saw Toronto outshoot the Flyers 52 to 28 and edge Philadelphia 5-4. Then, with the pyramids still a secret but still under the bench, the Leafs tied the series with a 4-3 Game 4 win.
ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW

In Philadelphia for Game 5, the Flyers again used Kate Smith to sing “God Bless America” and the exhilarated Flyers whipped Toronto, 7-1.
Back in Toronto for the sixth game, Kelly went public with his Pyramid Power strategy. “People don’t know why the pyramids in Egypt were built, or even how,” he explained to a room of reporters. “There always has seemed to be some strange waves given off by them. It has been proven that things shaped like pyramids can do strange and wonderful things. They can make miracles happen and that’s what we need against Philadelphia.”
With a large plastic pyramid hanging from the ceiling of the dressing room, Kelly encouraged his players to stand or sit under it, or to place their sticks near the forces radiated by the pyramids. The players looked on in disbelief, but when the captain of the team embraced the idea, the rest of the team bought into Pyramid Power.
“This was a do-or-die game for us, so we used the power of the pyramid,” Darryl Sittler later stated. “I took the six sticks I was going to use in the game and put them under the pyramid. Then, I stood under the pyramid. A lot of guys on our team saw what I was doing and soon each guy was standing under the pyramid.”
Tiger Williams was the last to take his turn. “Thank God I don’t play for Philadelphia! I’d hate to have to sit under Kate Smith!”
ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW

Sittler had been held without a goal through eight playoff games that spring. That all changed in explosive fashion. Channeling the good vibrations, Sittler scored five goals and added an assist in a decisive 8-5 Toronto victory. His five-goal performance equalled an NHL playoff record set by Maurice Richard in 1944.
The Toronto coach enlisted Pyramid Power again prior to Game 7 in Philadelphia. Kelly had a 12-foot-tall pyramid placed in the middle of the Leafs dressing room. But the Flyers once again trotted out Smith to bring good fortune to their team. It worked. While the Leafs had pushed the Flyers to the limit, the dream came to an end. The Flyers overcame the Leafs and their Pyramid Power for a 7-3 win.
Did Red Kelly truly believe in the mysterious powers of the pyramid?
“I was trying to do some stuff to distract things away from Harold Ballard saying things about the club. I was trying to get the guys thinking hockey and never mind the other stuff and Kate Smith. Pyramid Power caught everyone’s attention, especially after Sittler put his sticks under there and he got all those points. Suddenly, everyone bought into it and it grew bigger from there.”
Following that series, no one ever saw the pyramids again.
Kevin Shea is a hockey historian and author of The Toronto Maple Leaf Hockey Club: Official Centennial Publication, 1917-2017. His column will appear every other week throughout the Leafs’ centennial season. Follow him on Twitter at @kevinsheahockey

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
You're naive if you believe that most celebrities are virtuous.

If you believe that they generally hold a higher standard of integrity, but this is a deviation from that standard, then I don't know what to think.

Perhaps there's an organic lentils company that Tavares can make big money endorsing, but doubt it.
Where did I say most celebrities are virtuous?

I'm not advocating that endorsement deals need to end, but some liability to take on the endorsement deal would hopefully make some celebrities reconsider repping the worst of the worst companies.

Funny that being on a hockey forum, the promotion of something non hockey related is causing a stir, meanwhile when new equipment lines roll out, nobody criticizes the "10% more pop, better accuracy, better energy transfer, etc." claims that hockey players endorse. I'd say it's even worse in the case of hockey equipment, cuz while they promote stick for example, it can often be completely different than the product they're using/older models but it's covered in the latest retail graphics...
If it was viable to stop all endorsements and all thst was marketed was the facts about a product, I'd be all for it... However, that's a fantasy. I'm more concerned with the outright lies and (in some cases) harmful products.

Saying that some equipment is 10% better than another might be true even if they're exaggerating most of the time.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
View attachment 918185

But it's okay a "portion" of the proceeds went to sick kids :sarcasm:
Definitely not a fan of either of these.

I hate NFTs and glad it died off fairly quick... hopefully Matthews was just naive. I also hate that Logan Paul and KSI definitely push these products HARD towards kids even though the product is forced to put on a label that says its not recommended for people under 18 yo.

As for Matthews, I admit that as much as I like him as a hockey player, he has obviously made some questionable (at best) off-ice decisions during his early stardom. I hope that he's since grown out of that stuff, but you never really know which players are ethical people considering we don't actually know them.

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
This isn't the right forum to have this conversation - but I'll only say that in all the reputable scientific journals that have complex peer review systems, there's no indication, anywhere, that the "5G stuff" is an issue.

I wasn't dismissing people's concerns, so apologies if I came across that way. However, there also needs to be some element of common sense pushback against some of this drivel that just shouldn't be believed. We have a duty to accommodate and help one another

I respect that. Sorry if I came off as a aggressive in my initial post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad