• Tavares

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • Zibanejad

Votes: 44 77.2%

• Total voters

Coffee

Take one step towards the direction you want to go
Nov 12, 2021
Zibby. But wanna say I’m a big fan of these types of polls where it’s interesting and out of the box style

• Love
Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Zibby. But wanna say I’m a big fan of these types of polls where it’s interesting and out of the box style

Thank you, I haven't been following Tavares that closely so I was worried that the poll was going to be lopsided in one direction. I just knew that Leafs fans shit on him and Rangers fans shit on Mika.

Reactions: Coffee

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I don't know. Apparently Zibanejad isn't a very good ES player these days but can produce on the PP. Tavares can still shoot and is decent at shielding the puck and can make good opportunistic plays, but this guy can be inept with the puck these days. He bobbles it a lot. Combined with his slow, sluggish skating, his puck handling can make it difficult for him to create offense (at ES and on the PP).

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
if it’s Tavares against a first liner, it’s the first liner AINEC
If it’s Tavares against a second liner, it’s the second liner AINEC
If it’s Tavares against a third liner, it’s the third liner but I’d have to think a little

He is so beyond cooked it’s incredible, only time he looks “good” is when he’s fed chances by nylander or Marner

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Rangers fan saying Tavares. Zibanejad is the biggest hindrance to us winning the Cup. Routinely gets caved in the playoffs at even strength against good centers. The same thing happens in the regular season, but you don’t play a good team every night and there’s more special teams in the regular season, so it matters a little less. In the playoffs it becomes crystal clear when you play the same good team time after time.

Rags fans. What happened to Ziba , has he lost his love for the game? This guy used to be way better or am i crazy
He’s gotten a little worse the last few years, but he’s never been that great at even strength. It was always suspected that Buchnevich drove the line with Kreider and Zibanejad at even strength. When he left, problems started. Kreider has slowed down at even strength the last few years as he’s gotten older. Kreider was always a great play driver too, so now Zibanejad is getting exposed without having two play drivers carry him around at even strength. Kreider’s still amazing on the PP and pretty good on the PK. Zibanejad is pretty good on the PK, but declining on the PP. A lot of fans want Lafreniere to take his PP spot.

Last edited:

lipstickjunkie

Jan 5, 2017
As a Leafs fan, I haven't seen Zib play as often as Tavares, but I promise you Tavares is worse.
JT is awful, and I mean awful. He can't skate, can't take a pass, can't stick handle. All he is good for us winning a faceoff and occasionally he can still manage to get off a decent shot if he miraculously hits the net with it.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Last year I'd probably say Tavares, but this season I'd say Zibanejad because Tavares losing the C probably killed a bit of his spirit, and he's worse now for it.

Nogatco Rd

Music Has The Right To Children
Apr 3, 2021
The same thing happens in the regular season, but you don’t play a good team every night and there’s more special teams in the regular season, so it matters a little less.
There are actually more penalties called in the playoffs than the regular season, it just feels like less because the games are so much more physical that there are a lot of infractions that go uncalled

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
There are actually more penalties called in the playoffs than the regular season, it just feels like less because the games are so much more physical that there are a lot of infractions that go uncalled
Any stats for that? It really has seemed like refs decide not to blow their whistles the later it gets in the playoffs.

Nogatco Rd

Music Has The Right To Children
Apr 3, 2021
Any stats for that? It really has seemed like refs decide not to blow their whistles the later it gets in the playoffs.
From 2016 to 2022, there were 3,759 power-play opportunities in 589 playoff games, or 3.2 power plays per game.

In the regular season over the same span, there were 3.0 power-play opportunities per game.

It’s worth noting that there are generally more power plays early on in series compared to later in series, and more in early rounds as compared to later rounds

Again, I’m not disagreeing that refs tend to swallow their whistles in general. My point is that there are more penalty-worthy plays overall, which results in more power play opportunities, and perhaps paradoxically, more “missed” power play opportunities

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Tavares needs a miracle

He doesnt look like he shluld be in the NHL as of Oct 20 2024

Dude is 34 years old, but looks worse than 2021 Joe Thornton did for the leafs in a small 5 game sample size

He was also bad for most of last year and horrific vs the bruins

This is a guy who is needs a miracle to rebound
Doesn't his magical amulet that he peddles help him cast miracles? Or has he not unlocked that spell yet?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Zibanejad can at least skate. He's also better than Panarin in the playoffs.
I'd honestly take issue with this.

At this point, I don't know that we can say this so definitively. Panarin at least battled Zibanejad to a draw in the playoffs last year. Arguably did better. He didn't hurt the team as much because he was getting carried by the two best forwards for the team in the playoffs. Zibanejad was a huge liability.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I guess i'd take Zibby. Both are a little bit of a problem even strength as Centers. Difference is, Zibanejad can still skate and shoot and stuff, so he'd probably be okay if you could make him a winger. Tavares skating basically makes that impossible.

Plus Zibby can still be a Powerplay asset.

But mostly just...he can skate.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Is Zib a 34 year old third line C who realy suck at PP1? If not we take him.

I just think he would play better with Nylander then Tavares do. Only based on speed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad