Tavares extension -> May Reportedly Happen in the Near Future

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
He’d make a terrific 3C and can see him signing a bit longer deal for around $3m to stay and chase a ring here.

For all the vitriol the guy gets, he’s the least of this team’s problems as a 3C at a cap hit under $4m.
Chase a ring??
Wow....
If he chases a ring, it will have to be with another club, let's be honest here.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
He's too slow for 3C.

It's time to move on.

Some stupid low AAV is fine. But the Leafs aren't good at getting value so I'm out.

I want to cleanse the palate as well. New blood.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Exactly what I think to myself every time I see you posting about JT these days.

You’re free to believe that.
Doesn’t however make it true.

Right because JT is specifically the reason we get knocked out every year. How silly of me. Plus his role is going to be changing if he is re-signed so this is nonsense outright.

I have never at any point claimed or remotely insinuated it’s all sunshine and roses.
you and fellow Mumbles fluffers are probably the only one's who believe JT isn't getting his stats padded by playing with 90 plus pt wingers

so you're saying JT is playing fine in the playoffs but his ''role will be changing if he's re-signed'' , why should they change his role if he's playing so well ?

Last edited:

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I don't even want him back, the skating is not going to age well and it drags the line down in terms of explosiveness. Not that he's still solid and a good team player.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The short memories around here always make me laugh.

Tavares was unforgivably terrible against Boston, complete boat anchor. Boston had the easiest time ever shutting cement feet Johnny down. He ain't it anymore guys, just let him play it out and let him walk.

I’m not a Tavares guy and Tavares wasn’t particularly great vs Boston but I disagree with your overall characterization. I think JT fought really hard to have a toe hold in that series, took a ton of abuse to stay in the series. Part of that Leafs mini comeback was about everything being neutralized offensively anyway. Don’t get me wrong that wasn’t what you needed from an $11 million man but he played an honest series. Not an endorsement for bringing him back however.

Reactions: LeafGrief and banks

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I’m certainly not claiming he was good versus Boston.
Especially at 11M
He was David Kampf level impact

He has 3 pts his last 12 games

He is giving us 1.5M value in the playoffs. He is almost 10X overpaid vs FLR and BOS.

The issue is the coach/management wont demote him to a 14 minute 3C who plays PP2 like Tyler Bozak on the blues for his 3 years there

Tavares if hes back needs to play a 14-15 minute a game role where we need 45 pts and he makes 3M tops and isnt catered to. He should not be viewed as part of the teams core and is a support depth player

Reactions: Bust and Bejeezus

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Is 2 points in 7 games "showing up" every single game for the playoffs?

Continues to amaze the lengths people go to to put lipstick on this pig. Tavares' style for the playoffs at this stage of his career might honestly be worse than Marner's.
He had 8 in 11 and 6 in 7 the two years prior. It's almost like hockey existed before 2024.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He was David Kampf level impact

He has 3 pts his last 12 games

He is giving us 1.5M value in the playoffs. He is almost 10X overpaid vs FLR and BOS.

The issue is the coach/management wont demote him to a 14 minute 3C who plays PP2 like Tyler Bozak on the blues for his 3 years there

Tavares if hes back needs to play a 14-15 minute a game role where we need 45 pts and he makes 3M tops and isnt catered to. He should not be viewed as part of the teams core and is a support depth player

Weird sample size.

Draisaitl has 6 points over his last 12 games.

Tavares has the same amount of goals as him.

Draisaitl has one more EVP than Tavares.

Once again, weird sample size.

He is giving Edmonton $3 million value?

Reactions: bax

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
What's he got overall for the Leafs, 24 points in 38 games?

What's that worth to you? He's only getting worse.

Probably about $5 million on a short-term deal...

People acting like he is replacement-level are crazy.

Last year his production dropped because of the PP, not because of ES.

Would love to see him take a discount and be 3C here, we also need to find a better 2C, and currently, our best bet is Domi, but he is not better.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
you and fellow Mumbles fluffers are probably the only one's who believe JT isn't getting his stats padded by playing with 90 plus pt wingers

so you're saying JT is playing fine in the playoffs but his ''role will be changing if he's re-signed'' , why should they change his role if he's playing so well ?

Never said anything of the sort

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021
3 years @ 4 with that last year being a candidate for LTIR would be team friendly and I would be happy with, but I'm dreaming. IF there's an extension in the offing it will be very generous to JT (5 years @ between 5 and 6) and I will not like that at all.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Weird sample size.

Draisaitl has 6 points over his last 12 games.

Tavares has the same amount of goals as him.

Draisaitl has one more EVP than Tavares.

Once again, weird sample size.

He is giving Edmonton $3 million value?
He did for those 12 games yes

He was injured according to oiler fans

Not sure if he was faking an injury like Nylander, Matthews, Marner do pretty much every series when they play bad or was actually injured

Regarldess He was a main culprit in them losing the cup in the SCF. He did dominate and was key to the oilers winning R1 vs Kings and R2 vs Canucks, two series where leafs maybe win 1 but not both

He does have a sustained history of being better than the big 4 outside those 12 games in the playoffs. Hes a top 3 or 4 playoff performer of the 2015 onwards generartion along with Mackinnon, Mcdavid, and Kucherov

The big 4 and Tavares in general have a history of being terrible playoff performer and not producing nearly enough to justify their crazy contracts

Tavares has 21 pts in 27 playoff games prior to this 3 in 12 stretch

He dropped from 64 pt 2C who was 4M overpaid to a 20 pt 4C who is 9M overpaid

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He did for those 12 games yes

He was injured according to oiler fans

Not sure if he was faking an injury like Nylander, Matthews, Marner do pretty much every series when they play bad or was actually injured

Regarldess He was a main culprit in them losing the cup in the SCF. He did dominate and was key to the oilers winning R1 vs Kings and R2 vs Canucks, two series where leafs maybe win 1 but not both

He does have a sustained history of being better than the big 4 outside those 12 games in the playoffs. Hes a top 3 or 4 playoff performer of the 2015 onwards generartion along with Mackinnon, Mcdavid, and Kucherov

The big 4 and Tavares in general have a history of being terrible playoff performer and not producing nearly enough to justify their crazy contracts

Tavares has 21 pts in 27 playoff games prior to this 3 in 12 stretch

He dropped from 64 pt 2C who was 4M overpaid to a 20 pt 4C who is 9M overpaid

You should probably put this much effort into your posts of Tavares being a $1.5 million player as you did to defending Draisaitl.

He has a small sample size of playing poorly is what the reality is.

He has a larger sample size of being a good 2C.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
You should probably put this much effort into your posts of Tavares being a $1.5 million player as you did to defending Draisaitl.

He has a small sample size of playing poorly is what the reality is.

He has a larger sample size of being a good 2C.
32% (nearly 1/3 of his playoff career) with the leafs Tavares has given us 4C production and been 8-9M overpaid

The other 2/3 he has given us average 2C production ~65 pts.

His sample size has him be either 4M overpaid or 9M overpaid. Either way he has failed heavily for his expectations and contract.

Draisaitl is a different tier player than Tavares. We keep giving Matthews benefit of the doubt and more leeway despite him having bad playoffs quite often for a guy whose borderline top 5 in the league b/c hes dominated the reg season and playoffs at levels a guy like tavares never has as a leaf. Draisaitl another borderline top 5 player will get same leeway as Matthews.

Tavares needs to out perform David Kampf, next playoffs that is his comparson and the guy hes up against and will need to show he is a better player than come playoffs.

Draisaitl if you want to assume hes a 6 in 12 player periennally moving foreard come playoffs than his competition is Mitchell Marner, Auston Matthews, William Nylander who have 6 in 12, 6 in 10, and 6 in 9 the past two series.

Tavares is fighting to put better numbers than a guy people here think is 1M overpaid at 2.5M in Kampf

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
32% (nearly 1/3 of his playoff career) with the leafs Tavares has given us 4C production and been 8-9M overpaid

The other 2/3 he has given us average 2C production ~65 pts.

His sample size has him be either 4M overpaid or 9M overpaid. Either way he has failed heavily for his expectations and contract.

Draisaitl is a different tier player than Tavares. We keep giving Matthews benefit of the doubt and more leeway despite him having bad playoffs quite often for a guy whose borderline top 5 in the league b/c hes dominated the reg season and playoffs at levels a guy like tavares never has as a leaf. Draisaitl another borderline top 5 player will get same leeway as Matthews.

Tavares needs to out perform David Kampf, next playoffs that is his comparson and the guy hes up against and will need to show he is a better player than come playoffs.

Draisaitl if you want to assume hes a 6 in 12 player periennally moving foreard come playoffs than his competition is Mitchell Marner, Auston Matthews, William Nylander who have 6 in 12, 6 in 10, and 6 in 9 the past two series.

Tavares is fighting to put better numbers than a guy people here think is 1M overpaid at 2.5M in Kampf

65 points is not an average 2C production in the playoffs.

Out of the 163 centers who played 10+ games in the playoffs over the time span of Tavares' 65 point pace, he ranks 17th in PPG.

Not sure how you can claim he is an average 2C during the first 2/3 of his Leafs career when he is obviously looking like an average 1C.

He's ahead of Crosby, Malkin, and Bergeron during this time.

Matthews is 4th in PPG over this time frame.

There are also a bunch of part-time Cs on here, so Tavares is likely a couple of spots higher.

Reactions: banks

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
65 points is not an average 2C production in the playoffs.

Out of the 163 centers who played 10+ games in the playoffs over the time span of Tavares' 65 point pace, he ranks 17th in PPG.

Not sure how you can claim he is an average 2C during the first 2/3 of his Leafs career when he is obviously looking like an average 1C.

He's ahead of Crosby, Malkin, and Bergeron during this time.

Matthews is 4th in PPG over this time frame.

There are also a bunch of part-time Cs on here, so Tavares is likely a couple of spots higher.
He is a little behind Crosby who has 16 pts in 20 games from 2019 to 2022 (4 years he made the playoffs while Tavares was a leaf) has 21 in 27 (excluding MTL)

Malkin he is again very little behind who has 15 pts in 19 games vs 21 in 27 (excldued MTL game) for Tavares

Bergeron he is ahead of as Bergeron has 41 pts in 55 games, but that includes 2019 where bergeron made the finals and had tougher competition and we saw Bergeron outplay Tavares head to head in 2019 matchup with bergeron also being known for his defense more than offense.

Leaf players pretty much exclusively play R1 when the legs are fresher and not as much wear and tear. The 1 2nd round series they made the boys fell to 3 in 5 for the wingers, 2 in 5 for the new captain, and 1 in 5 for David Kampf 2.0

A guy like Barkov for example may have a lower ppg than Matthews but hes shut matthews/leafs down head to head, made 2 finals and won a cup in one of them and is almost ~70 pts pace those two runs.

65 pts may have been fringe/low end 1C production at best, it was not enough for how much of our cap Tavares has been taking and him expected to be a line driving player who can produce with any type of linemate.

His past 12 games (1/3 of his leaf playoff career) are again David Kampf level numbers. His future production may recover a bit but expecting 65 pts when hes 35 will be prettt much impossible. He may give 40/45 pts in the next 2 years as a 3C but why do we want Tavares back on the team as a 3C when he was the captain who led this team no where?

We should be looking to develop a 3C or trade/sign for a good one under 28 years old who has some prime/good post prime years available and can play a heavy and defensive style game

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He is a little behind Crosby who has 16 pts in 20 games from 2019 to 2022 (4 years he made the playoffs while Tavares was a leaf) has 21 in 27 (excluding MTL)

Malkin he is again very little behind who has 15 pts in 19 games vs 21 in 27 (excldued MTL game) for Tavares

Bergeron he is ahead of as Bergeron has 41 pts in 55 games, but that includes 2019 where bergeron made the finals and had tougher competition and we saw Bergeron outplay Tavares head to head in 2019 matchup with bergeron also being known for his defense more than offense.

Leaf players pretty much exclusively play R1 when the legs are fresher and not as much wear and tear. The 1 2nd round series they made the boys fell to 3 in 5 for the wingers, 2 in 5 for the new captain, and 1 in 5 for David Kampf 2.0

A guy like Barkov for example may have a lower ppg than Matthews but hes shut matthews/leafs down head to head, made 2 finals and won a cup in one of them and is almost ~70 pts pace those two runs.

65 pts may have been fringe/low end 1C production at best, it was not enough for how much of our cap Tavares has been taking and him expected to be a line driving player who can produce with any type of linemate.

His past 12 games (1/3 of his leaf playoff career) are again David Kampf level numbers. His future production may recover a bit but expecting 65 pts when hes 35 will be prettt much impossible. He may give 40/45 pts in the next 2 years as a 3C but why do we want Tavares back on the team as a 3C when he was the captain who led this team no where?

We should be looking to develop a 3C or trade/sign for a good one under 28 years old who has some prime/good post prime years available and can play a heavy and defensive style game

You aren't using the sample size you gave me, my sample size was his career with the Leafs minus the 12 latest games.

I also am just going to stop responding since you have an excuse for every player not on the Leafs and it is tiring to read a bunch of irrelevant excuses.

I want Tavares back as a 3C for a low dollar amount, they should try to upgrade on him, but it is hard when he is a 2C at worst.

He had a bad season last year, I bet he recovers a little from it.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
You aren't using the sample size you gave me, my sample size was his career with the Leafs minus the 12 latest games.

I also am just going to stop responding since you have an excuse for every player not on the Leafs and it is tiring to read a bunch of irrelevant excuses.

I want Tavares back as a 3C for a low dollar amount, they should try to upgrade on him, but it is hard when he is a 2C at worst.

He had a bad season last year, I bet he recovers a little from it.
I did use the sample size I gave you which is 2019 to 2022 for Crosby, Malkin and Bergeron.

I didnt include 2023 for Crosby and Malkin because they didnt make the playoffs so it wont change their ppg

For bergeron he is below without including his 2023 3 games vs the panthers so he still falls behind if you add those 3 games.

I didnt make excuse for those guys, you have your head in the clouds and cant see clearly that Tavares has been a failure as a player and captain in his tenure as a leaf

Leafs continue to lose, Tavares continues to rival David Kampf and Calle Jarnkrok. You put those three together at 1.5M a player and you got a 4th line come playoffs.

Tavares has shown he is a 4C his 2 most recent playoffs. Nothing else to be said

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022
People have an incredibly out of touch opinion on the value of hockey players. He scored the same amount of goals as seven other NHLers last year (Marchand, Kadri, Fiala, Thompson, McCann, Robertson, Boldy) and their average cap hit is 6,841,836. Only one of them makes less than 6 (McCann) and five of them make 7 or more (all but Marchand).

This is not to suggest we should be offering 7 x 7 or something like that, but if we got him at 3 or 4 years at 4 or 5 million, that's a discount (even if you don't want to believe that it is).

And I'd bet this rumour is true, especially after how he's handled the C situation, so if you think we're gonna see him off into UFA or sign him for something ridiculous like league minimum (even the 2 million suggestions are funny), you better make like Samuel L. Jackson and hold onto your butts.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Well , gee. It's almost like he's an 11 million dollar captain paid to play offense.
Key word , almost.
So you aren't denying that he is on for important goals and is solid offensively?

Sure'y that is worth something and make him more then a pure liability.. ..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad