Tavares extension -> May Reportedly Happen in the Near Future

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
""

Since Tavares became eligible to sign an extension with the organization on July 1, the possibility of a new deal has become a focal point. Given the uncertainty of his future, TSN’s Chris Johnston believes a new deal is a priority for Tavares and his family, and he anticipates discussions will soon begin.

“I think that there will be some discussions now about the possibility of an extension. It’s probably more of a priority for John Tavares and his family,” Johnston said, standing outside Scotiabank Arena. “He made a big move at the time he moved back to Toronto when he took that free agent deal, he had a number of other opportunities at that point in time.”

With Tavares now eligible for an extension and the captaincy transferred to Matthews, the timing seems ideal for discussions about his future with the Leafs. His commitment to the team and the city is clear, but as Johnston mentions, life is different now from 2018. Since then, he’s had his three children born in Toronto, further solidifying his ties to the city and the team.
“At that point in time, he didn’t have kids, those three kids that were sitting in the front row today have all been born in Toronto,” Johnston said. “I think it’s very important on his end of things to try and find something that works and the Leafs will have to work through that with him.”
Matthews Presser-9

So what do you think this contract looks like?

5 years x $4.5 million is my guess.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Mentioned this in a trade thread, but shouldn't be surprising. Tavares is obviously well respected in the front office, Tre also likes his vets. And Tavares likely wants to have a cup in Toronto. Seems like a combination for an extension.

I can see a longer term deal (5-6 years) to keep the caphit down.

The only thing potentially keeping it from happening is the optics of the front office wanting to show how things will be different. But I suspect Tavares will be willing to be flexible enough on caphit to stay

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Once they give Matthews the C I thought they would extend Tavares. Otherwise they would just let him leave next year and give it to Matthews then.

He can probably be a good 3C for another few seasons. It's unfortunate he is the 2 this year.

Hopefully they can get him cheap. Give him a longer term for less dollars.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
He’d make a terrific 3C and can see him signing a bit longer deal for around $3m to stay and chase a ring here.

For all the vitriol the guy gets, he’s the least of this team’s problems as a 3C at a cap hit under $4m.
I would happily give him a triple-3: three years at $3M as a 3C.

Reactions: Cams and LeafSteel

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Mentioned this in a trade thread, but shouldn't be surprising. Tavares is obviously well respected in the front office, Tre also likes his vets. And Tavares likely wants to have a cup in Toronto. Seems like a combination for an extension.

I can see a longer term deal (5-6 years) to keep the caphit down.

The only thing potentially keeping it from happening is the optics of the front office wanting to show how things will be different. But I suspect Tavares will be willing to be flexible enough on caphit to stay
The first thoughts on this thread will be insufferable, but if a 60-65 point centerman whose good on the draw is getting around 4.75m-5m then I think it's okay.

The only downside to him right now is the 11m in capspace he's taking up.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
""

Since Tavares became eligible to sign an extension with the organization on July 1, the possibility of a new deal has become a focal point. Given the uncertainty of his future, TSN’s Chris Johnston believes a new deal is a priority for Tavares and his family, and he anticipates discussions will soon begin.

“I think that there will be some discussions now about the possibility of an extension. It’s probably more of a priority for John Tavares and his family,” Johnston said, standing outside Scotiabank Arena. “He made a big move at the time he moved back to Toronto when he took that free agent deal, he had a number of other opportunities at that point in time.”

With Tavares now eligible for an extension and the captaincy transferred to Matthews, the timing seems ideal for discussions about his future with the Leafs. His commitment to the team and the city is clear, but as Johnston mentions, life is different now from 2018. Since then, he’s had his three children born in Toronto, further solidifying his ties to the city and the team.
“At that point in time, he didn’t have kids, those three kids that were sitting in the front row today have all been born in Toronto,” Johnston said. “I think it’s very important on his end of things to try and find something that works and the Leafs will have to work through that with him.”
Matthews Presser-9
So what do you think this contract looks like?

5 years x $4.5 million is my guess.

That was obviously expected.

The Toronto Maple Leafs Country Club. Let's give everyone cushy extensions at whatever $$ amount they want.
You’re expecting this to happen with Tavares?

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
unless i'm missing something but i'm not reading anything other than someone is reporting their opinion on a JT extension and for all those who want to re-sign JT especially for 4-5m or more my question is why they feel JT won't regress any further

JT can't keep up with the flow of the play now , can't carry the puck up the ice in any traffic but yet some people think he'd be great anchoring a 3rd line . JT gets his points on the pp and 5 on 5 by sitting at the top of the crease while his linemates do all the work bringing the puck up the ice and feeding him on the net front .

he's not going to get any better/faster and he still has a yr left , there's no reason to even talk about an extension now before the team sees how he does this year , hopefully in a reduced role

edit - i forgot he does nothing in the playoffs either !

Last edited:
Reactions: myleafs

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Tavares probably worth 7m per now, but he's been overpaid by 3m the past 7 years.

Unless he's giving the Leafs under 4m per deal...he can go somewhere else and we can find a 3C who isn't on the decline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad