Injury Report: Tanner Glass - (MUMPS!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
But I seriously do think this reaction is getting into the "he's not that bad" range.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Guys leave him alone, he's excellent at getting AV his gum.. that's the only logical reason he's here.

Jxmarts

Sep 8, 2008
I've always had mixed feelings about the Glass signing...

If you're going to carry a marginal player on the team just for toughness, you would think he would actually be tough. Say what you will about the need for a tough guy in today's NHL, Glass is just not that intimidating. He won't intimidate like a Colton Orr; he doesn't play an effective checking role like a Brandon Prust; nor does he provide energy like a Derek Dorsett. Glass just doesn't bring much to the table.

That said, the Ranger team without Glass is extremely soft. It may not show up directly on the scoring summary, but having someone on the team you know has everyone's back might lend the other players to play with a little more grit. Although I can't quantify it on the stat sheet, I believe that might be more valuable than replacing Glass with a Jesper Fast or Chris Mueller as the last forward on the roster. For now, Glass is the best we have in that regard.

The problem is that given his marginal talents, you probably could've filled that role just as well with a scrappy AHLer instead of singing Glass to a 3 year contract.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Guys leave him alone, he's excellent at getting AV his gum.. that's the only logical reason he's here.

I'll do that job for 1/100 of Glass's salary with no contract. I'll even buy the gum with my own money in any flavor AV wants. Mint, bubblegum, spearmint, bacon. He names it, I get it. If there's a new gum being released, I'll stand in line and make sure AV will be the first to taste it. I'll do all of it, just please get rid of Tanner Glass.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
He literally does nothing good and every time someone passes to him or he's out there I just think "why?"

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I was all on board to give Glass the benefit of the doubt and have him prove us all wrong by being a solid 4th liner. He simply is not a good player.

Is there any chance of him being traded for a pick? There's got to be some 4th liner we can get off the scrap heap somewhere that can be better than him. At least keep a cycle going and not completely botch defensive coverage and hand the puck to the other team.

It's one thing if he's not as good as our 4th liners last year. The bare minimum we ask of him is to be reliable in his own zone. Like backchecking and picking up wide open men in front (3rd goal) or when the puck careens to his stick with an open lane to clear, that he get the puck out and not pass it directly to the other team (4th goal).

rangers91*

watching tanner glass turn over the puck tonight caused me to swallow my dip

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I'll do that job for 1/100 of Glass's salary with no contract. I'll even buy the gum with my own money in any flavor AV wants. Mint, bubblegum, spearmint, bacon. He names it, I get it. If there's a new gum being released, I'll stand in line and make sure AV will be the first to taste it. I'll do all of it, just please get rid of Tanner Glass.
It's not that simple. Gum-fetchers have unions.

I was all on board to give Glass the benefit of the doubt and have him prove us all wrong by being a solid 4th liner.
Never understood why this was supposed to be so virtuous.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Does anyone else get the sneaking suspicion that AV is playing him because he's his guy and he thinks it'll look bad if he'll be a healthy scratch every night? One the one hand I really hope that's not the case on the other hand if it isn't then our coach is blind.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
I'm more baffled by the years than anything. I think this year was odd because nobody expected Duclair to be as ready as he is. I'm not saying he's NHL ready, but he's doing a solid job as a 3rd liner, getting some solid minutes and play, and making a bunch of good plays while not making nearly as many bad plays. I think had Duke not been ready, it would've made sense to have Glass in the lineup. But that doesn't explain why we signed him for 3 years. I'm just frustrated he's playing when other more worthy players aren't.

Jxmarts

Sep 8, 2008
Quote: Originally Posted by Glen Sathers Cigar
I was all on board to give Glass the benefit of the doubt and have him prove us all wrong by being a solid 4th liner.

It's next to impossible to make it through the grind of the playoffs rolling out 3 lines. Just about every Stanley Cup winner has had a 4th line that plays their heart out... and that line is seldom composed of scorers.

The problem is that we gave Glass a 3 year contract & he's been a liability so far.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
It's not that simple. Gum-fetchers have unions.

Uh I'm not saying it was. I'm saying hats where I was at with Glass. I didn't like the signing but was hoping he would prove me wrong. What's virtuous about that?

My friend did that once, vomited for like 10 minutes

I did that once, had a soda bottle halfway full with spit on my desk in college. Took a shower and was changing in my room and took a big swig. I didn't puke but was on the edge. So disgusting.

I know we got a decent pick for him, but why trade Dorsett whose cap hit was marginally higher and signed for less years to just throw it away on Glass? At least we knew wat Dorsett brought and that he fit on the 4th line with Moore.

Last edited:

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Uh I'm not saying it was. I'm saying hats where I was at with Glass. I didn't like the signing but was hoping he would prove me wrong. What's virtuous about that?
Maybe not you, but looking down on those who had the gall to judge a player on his NHL track record before playing with the Rangers was a pretty common exercise.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
It just kills me knowing we signed Glass for 3 years to an absurd contract when so many other capable options were available and likely for less years and less term. It hurts even more when he makes mistakes like he did tonight.

thenumbersdonotlie*

Glass needs to be in the minors or traded for a bag of pucks. He was worthless from day one. He stinks on the 4th line. He stinks on the PK unit. Only thing worse than watching this guy is watching Staal never clear the crease.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad