Confirmed with Link: Tanev Signs With Leafs | 6 Years $4.5 Million AAV

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
since he's not 35 yet can't they buy it out at any time??
that's what I get from this contract
love the signing, cap hit abit high only due to the length but eh....finally have a legit top pairing, rielly better step up now, no excuses. this makes both players better

defence is better already

80% of it is in Signing Bonuses, good luck buying it out

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
you people are impossible
1719845305656.gif

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Giving a senior citizen more term and money than anyone else was offering with a full NMC and buyout proof bonus structure to top it off, where have I seen this before? This contract will be on our books longer than Tre or Shanny are so what do they care I guess.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Tell me how to feel, I am on the fence
Now explain with words what's so bad about it?
If people think having and not having Tanev is the difference maker then its a wrong think IMO

It is the marner+tavares who are complete JOKES and 22M in cap hit thats the issue.

A GM with a foresight recognizes that he cannot move 16 and 91 due to NMCs but he must still plan for future. I would have signed Lindholm + Zadorov + Boosh + Backup + depth with Kampf and Jarnkrok (4.5M OUT) traded

And keep building towards 2025-2026 season.

This signging is absolutely STUPID.

Leafs are NOT winning anything until the cap structure, cap allocation and team composition is rounded out. And it starts with both marner and tavares teh F out which is NOT next season unfortunatley due to their NMCs and NTCs

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
He's alot better than Brodie was
He was Dalllas best dman in the playoffs
1) no he isnt, his style and strenghts literally mirror Brodies when we signed him with bis weakness being worse than Brodies and him being older. The advance stats people are using to claim Tanev is a top 5 shutdown/defensive D in the league (lol) are the same people were using to claim Brodie is a top 10 shutdown/defensive D (lol).

Tanev doesnt play more ~20 minutes either generally. Doubt he can up that in his 35-40 year seasons

2) he was there 4D on TOI behind Heiskinen, Harley and Lindell

You cant be an elite D with 2 f***ing pts in 19 playoff games

Heiskenen had 16 pts in 19 games at 28 mins a game. He was there 1D and a franchise D

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
there's a lot of teams with cap space and it's going to be an expensive ufa season

fills a huge void , for how long we'll see but there weren't many alternatives so you pay up for ufa's and this is cheap for this quality of D

Reactions: bax

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
You clearly don't grasp that a defenceman's primary responsibility is to defend, not score.

Our problem was scoring not defending. This is a waste of money and cap space until the core gets shaken up, this team is going nowhere. 1 good year of Tanev out of 2 or 3 max, is already wasted. Unless a miracle happens and Tre can convince Marner to waive?

Reactions: PromisedLand

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Clearly a cap circumvention deal. I'm good with the player and the AAV. Solid signing. Huge upgrade over Brodie. We should get 2-3 good years and a serviceable 4 before Robidas island.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
You clearly don't grasp that a defenceman's primary responsibility is to defend, not score.
You clearly dont understand that is an outdated concept and a main reason Tanev is never nominated for the norris, never talked as a #1D or even 2D at this stage outside of these homer boards due to his non existent offense and two way abilities.

Hes a one way defenseman who's going to need strong goaltending and defensive structure/committment to work

We shut down boston, shut down panthers too. Our defense provided neglible offense and we lost

Tanev is Brodie 2.0. He plays a similar defensive game, is less durable and older, has 0 puck skills and ability to rush a puck. We added a guy who should be playing on our 3rd pairing an PK1 about 18-19mins a game

The Rielly - tanev pairing will not work if hes beinf used 22-23 minutes a game

• Haha
Reactions: thinkblue

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
I love the player, he’s a perfect fit. But once again, we win no aspects of the negotiation. Too much term, too much aav, full NMC.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Giving a senior citizen more term and money than anyone else was offering with a full NMC and buyout proof bonus structure to top it off, where have I seen this before? This contract will be on our books longer than Tre or Shanny are so what do they care I guess.
he actually gave us a discount , word is Utah and another team were offering 6m x 6 yrs

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I am interested in what they project the pairings to be

McCabe - Tanev seems like a logical shutdown pair that would work well, but it leaves something like

Mo - Lilj
Benoit - OEL

It's really tough to see anyone on that bottom pair stepping in with Mo

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Giving a senior citizen more term and money than anyone else was offering with a full NMC and buyout proof bonus structure to top it off, where have I seen this before?

Since he didn't hit the market you have no idea what other teams would have offered him so you cannot claim the Leafs gave him more than anyone else was offering.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad