GDT: Tampa Bay Lightning vs New Jersey Devils: Pickle Blake

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Can't wait to see how NBCSN trashes us. Always good for a laugh.

I disagree.

There appears to be a new era dawning in Devils hockey with regards to the media.

We've gone.........

FROM: unreasonably and too harshly ripped-on and ridiculed

TO: unreasonably and too excessively praised and applauded

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
There are aspects of Moore's game I like. I like Severson but I don't like them together. They are both gamblers positionally and with the puck, not Zidlicky bad, but still risks.

What was wrong with Green/Severson?

Agreed, I dont like them together either.

Both of them tend to forget they're playing defense in the NHL, and that they're not Paul Coffey or Mike Bossy.

What's "wrong" I think is that it's pretty clear Hynes insists on protecting Butcher with a veteran. I get it. I just hope Moore-Severson only results in 1 goal against tonight (because there's no way those 2 keep a clean sheet).

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Now that Lovejoy is officially out, I feel better already. Hynes is smarter than I thought. Real though game against probably the best team in hockey, at least now we have a chance.

EliasFTW

Jan 27, 2009
Utica, NY
I disagree.

There appears to be a new era dawning in Devils hockey with regards to the media.

We've gone.........

Maybe so. After years of being the butt of every joke i stopped watching the main stream hockey media, so i haven't paid too much attention in recent years.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
we have an illustrious history of allowing players first ever goals. Not jinxing... just saying that there's a certain Devil who has yet to get his due

This is the first home game I'm missing this season, so it's a shoe-in Nico scores his first NHL goal tonight.

The Mueller thing is stupid. He'd done nothing to warrant sitting multiple games for Bumjoy.

Mueller's been fine, but I have no problem with him sitting a spell. I think Hynes is doing a great job with this. Let the rookies watch a game or two, keep em' hungry. Also, I DONT like players (especially D) sitting for too long and getting rusty, so as much as I think Prout is "meh", I wanted to see him get in a game or two.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Maybe so. After years of being the butt of every joke i stopped watching the main stream hockey media, so i haven't paid too much attention in recent years.

Oh, I didn't mean "years", I meant more like a few weeks. The media has been slobbering over the Devils 4-1 start.

Personally, I think the Devils fall back to earth big-time unless the D collectively improves, but I'm enjoying the ride so far.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Does every fan think that their team is known for giving up 1st career goals?

I'm not sure but we could ask guys like Michael Matheson, Sam Reinhart and Erik Gryba... hell even McDavid managed his first career shootout goal against us and we gave up Dumoulin's first career playoff goal.

I wish I was joking but I wouldn't say this if it was not true. These names are just off the top of my head

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I'm not sure but we could ask guys like Michael Matheson, Sam Reinhart and Erik Gryba... hell even McDavid managed his first career shootout goal against us and we gave up Dumoulin's first career playoff goal.

I wish I was joking but I wouldn't say this if it was not true. These names are just off the top of my head
Well, Kyle Palmieri scored his first career goal against us and now we use him to terrorize other teams. Hopefully the same holds true for you guys as well.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
He's another one sitting when his play absolutely doesn't deserve it.

Redemption is great and all, but how about merit? Hayes has no business being in the lineup right now.

It's six games into the season. They're not going to outright bury anyone at this point. Guys are going to get rotated in and out till there's more of a sample size to make consistent lineup decisions. If Noesen had shown enough when he had his chances last year maybe he wouldn't be on the back end of the roster merry go round to start this year.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Noesen has been fine, but I don't think he's really distinguished himself above and beyond what the other guys in the bottom-6 have been doing. Really, only Gibbons, Wood, and Bratt (I guess he's bottom-6?) have exceeded expectations.

Certainly he hasn't been impressive enough to avoid the rotation. Wood sat for the first game and made it very clear he doesn't want to sit again. We have a bunch of guys playing well and not enough spots for all of them, everyone is going to sit at some point. Nothing personal nor an indictment against his play, just a consequence of the numbers.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Well, Kyle Palmieri scored his first career goal against us and now we use him to terrorize other teams. Hopefully the same holds true for you guys as well.

lol maybe someday right? We don't really have a Devil killer in the lineup. The Wings on the other hand... well let's just say they check under their beds for Tyler Johnson and Nikita Kucherov

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Noesen has been fine, but I don't think he's really distinguished himself above and beyond what the other guys in the bottom-6 have been doing. Really, only Gibbons, Wood, and Bratt (I guess he's bottom-6?) have exceeded expectations.

Certainly he hasn't been impressive enough to avoid the rotation. Wood sat for the first game and made it very clear he doesn't want to sit again. We have a bunch of guys playing well and not enough spots for all of them, everyone is going to sit at some point. Nothing personal nor an indictment against his play, just a consequence of the numbers.
Zero reason Hayes should be in over Noesen for 5 he 2nd game in a row. None. Hayes was the worst player against Washington where Noesen was fine, and Hayes was again the worst against the Rags and was benched for 2 periods for good reason.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
It's six games into the season. They're not going to outright bury anyone at this point. Guys are going to get rotated in and out till there's more of a sample size to make consistent lineup decisions. If Noesen had shown enough when he had his chances last year maybe he wouldn't be on the back end of the roster merry go round to start this year.
I guess it comes down to how you've evaluated those previous games. I don't think Noesen's been a "passable passenger". I think he's had an appreciable affect on the ice, to the point that taking him out sends the wrong message IMO and squad rotation doesn't sufficiently answer that for me. I think it's poor squad mamagement.

Now, that said, we're talking about a fourth line wing. I'm not going to flip my lid, but...

Brick City

Ignore me!
May 21, 2012
New Jersey
I'm going to create an ap that turns all "Rick and Morty" gifs into Seinfeld gifs.

I think the likes to this post may have well revealed the generational pop culture gap. Can we all just get along and agree to classic Simpsons gifs.

I disagree.

We've gone.........

Heavily prefer the former. I'd prefer our opponents to not see us coming. Save planning the parade in October for Rangers and Toronto fans.

Last edited:

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I mean, the fact we have like 15 competent forwards is a great thing. Last year we barely had 5. I'll gladly bench some 4th liners if it means we don't have to make Hall and Palms win every game singlehandedly.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Rep just emailed to inform me hype train admission no longer available in PDF or paper :mad:

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
I was fine with Mueller sitting since the guy has looked horrible by every metric and by the eye-test thus far this year. Prout, who actually has been a solid bottom-pairing guy since we acquired him, is the one I would like to see on a nightly basis. Hopefully they start phasing out Moore and have Butcher take his role. Moore does bring some offense I'll give him that, but he is flat out awful at everything else. I understand Hynes thought process separating Severson and Greene. He clearly wants Severson to carry someone like Moore, and with the lack of depth on the defense we might need to separate them since the other 4 would be a dumpster fire together, but I just don't know if it is going to work. The Severson/Greene pairing really is a nice pairing. Greene/Santini hasn't been IMO.

And count me with the group that is Pro Noesen over Hayes. Hayes should be a healthy scratch going forward.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I'd rather Noesen than Hayes but maybe they're to figure out how much more they can stand with him before waiving him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad