Speculation: Taking less to win a cup

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Teams overpay players all the time. I'm not sure what you mean, overpaying a player after winning?
For Chicago it was Kane and Toews @ around $6M, winning 2 cups, then getting paid and still winning one more cup at $10.5M. Leafs overpaid their guys before they even won anything.

Reactions: Laus723

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I am sure there are some minor deals here and there, but there are a couple I remember vividly about guys taking less to try to win a cup.

Selanne at $5.8M and Kariya at $1.2M in Colorado.
Richards at $2M in Chicago.

What are some of the best examples of players signing really cheap to try to win a cup? (Not that I think they should, but how many times has it been a HUGE discount?)
Any veteran taking a low contract on a top 8 team is because they want yo win it.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Player can do that if they wish. But, how much do you trust the GM to not blow that cap savings on someone who doesn't deserve it.

$12.5 mill for McDavid has been a bargain, but then Nurse gets $9.25 mill. Basically the same as paying McDavid $15 mill (max he could have gotten at the time) and Nurse $6.75 mill.
His contract was a bargain but I don't think it was a discount or meant to be one.

I think the only time a player would take less is for more term or if he's nearing the end.

Players are part of a union and a represented by agents that get paid a commission, taking less could impact what another union member might get.

There was an article awhile back that talked about this and just how much it's frowned upon.

There's also the fact that everytime us fans or media see a player sign for less than expected, it's just assumed it was purposely done.

Your point is a perfect example of as well for why they wouldn't take less but it also leads to how a player clearly winning the contract battle would affect other players.

Seth Jones and then Nurse set a precident in which now 9 million can be a benchmark for future deals and not just for superstars.

Not saying they dramatically shifted the market but we have seen teams saying away from bridge deals and going from ELC to max term a lot more especially on D and most seem to be around 8 million a number purposely done for the optics?

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Just going off memory but I seem to remember Joe Thornton waiting until the roster was filled out and then signing for what was left?
Sharks fans would know best but that's what I recall.

For Chicago it was Kane and Toews @ around $6M, winning 2 cups, then getting paid and still winning one more cup at $10.5M. Leafs overpaid their guys before they even won anything.
Chicago never won again once the big money extensions kicked in. They had signed the extensions but in 2014/15 they were still playing out the last year of their $6.3M deals.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I am sure there are some minor deals here and there, but there are a couple I remember vividly about guys taking less to try to win a cup.

Selanne at $5.8M and Kariya at $1.2M in Colorado.
Richards at $2M in Chicago.

What are some of the best examples of players signing really cheap to try to win a cup? (Not that I think they should, but how many times has it been a HUGE discount?)
That season on Colorado may have been the reason Selanne didn't reach 1500 points.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
As a fan, I love seeing my teams good players take less to work with the cap and try to compete. I hate seeing guys leaving money on the table though, knowing that the owners of these teams are raking in skillions of dollars. Not that I want the owners in financial peril or anything, I just hate thinking that players make less than they should so they can have better teammates, and it's out of their own pocket instead of the owners. Especially with role players. I remember when Curtis Glencross took his last contract to be a "team guy", and it ended up being his last one, and he never got back what he gave up on that contract. It sucks seeing these hard working, grinding role players taking less than they should, even knowing they are making millions.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Reactions: TooManyHumans

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
That contract only accounts for 104.4 and if I recall he could have maxed out the 12.86 at the time and had that be 154.0 for that contract alone

Crosby's Spotrac

He's actually at 152.890 but he could be at 202.0

Never the less, what does him being the highest paid have to do with taking less?

Which he certainly did.
Crosby made, in real dollars, 86.4 m over the first 8 years of that deal

Averaged out that’s 10.8 m per year

The cap at the time of the extension was 60.3m

With today’s cap that’s the equivalent of a 15 million per year extension

Crosby signed a team friendly deal by exploiting the 3 cheater years at the end of the deal, but he was paid very handsomely in real dollars through his prime

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
didn't their new deals kick in the year after their final cup? I maybe remembering that wrong

Robbitalle and Hull come to my mind buying themself a cup in Detroit
A lot of players went to Detroit to do this.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

Crosby signed a team friendly deal by exploiting the 3 cheater years at the end of the deal, but he was paid very handsomely in real dollars through his prime
It was 64.3 dropped down from 70.2 in 2013/14 from the lockout season.

It doesn't matter what he got front loaded because the overall number that matters is 8.7. He still took less than he could have gotten which is maxed out at 12.86. That's 12.86 he could have gotten over the entire 12 years. 50.0 less divided by 12.

He took 4.166 less per. over the 12 years.

Edit: He took less for 17 years and it helped to get to 4 finals and 3 cups.

Last edited:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Player can do that if they wish. But, how much do you trust the GM to not blow that cap savings on someone who doesn't deserve it.

$12.5 mill for McDavid has been a bargain, but then Nurse gets $9.25 mill. Basically the same as paying McDavid $15 mill (max he could have gotten at the time) and Nurse $6.75 mill.
This......................is well said.

So many GM's with buyers remorse these days........who gave Nurse that insane contract anyhow???

Anyhow, it's a huge challenge for all the GM's...............................10-12 years ago the Bruins did a great job ensuring years of being a good team by keeping everyone in check with their cap hits.
Then came MacAvoy and Pasta......lol

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
It was 64.3 dropped down from 70.2 in 2013/14 from the lockout season.

It doesn't matter what he got front loaded because the overall number that matters is 8.7. He still took less than he could have gotten which is maxed out at 12.86. That's 12.86 he could have gotten over the entire 12 years. 50.0 less divided by 12.

He took 4.166 less per. over the 12 years.

Edit: He took less for 17 years and it helped to get to 4 finals and 3 cups.
well if we’re using cap max as a baseline then every player is taking a discount

Anyway just keeping things in perspective

8.7 cap hit extension signed before the 07-08 season (50.3 cap) is the equivalent of a 5 year 15.2 m per year deal today (88m)

Hardly a team friendly deal, best player in a generation or not

behemolari

worst collapse in nhl history
Dec 1, 2011
I think the original point stands.

I been a very long time since signing with the leafs could be considered "trying" to win a cup.

This. Half of the contracts fits in description, thread should have been players who actually won the cup after discount.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario

I think Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner have taught us what is means ti be insanely greedy.

Crosby could have signed for 10.5 on a 5 year deal in 2013 (15M equivalent per your calc) and then tried to get paid again on a 4 year or 5 year deal

Crosby was paid fairly but he also locked in for 12 years and understood with the rising cap his AAV at 8.7 would be a steal by at the end of his deal if he held well to his late 30s (still a top 12ish player and easily worth 8.7M, though pens mostly fallen off so he is wasted)

Crosby if he was chasing every pens signs 10-11M on a 4-6 year term deal like we saw Matthews and Marner do

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
It may or may not be arguable but Burrows 4 years @ 2 was a major catalyst in the depth the Canucks had to be those president winning dominant teams.

He signed it off the back of 28 goals and being known as a heart and soul guy, so definitely took a paycut, but at the same time it was a bit of a gamble both ways as he did it playing with the Sedins. Luckily he clicked as their greatest linemate ever (my kingdom for a legit 1st liner for them) and the contract was one of the steals of franchise history

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad