Value of: Take Tyler Myers now, flip him for a 2nd round Pick at the TDL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
<Insert Jim Benning picture here>

For the Canucks critical RD deficiency Benning somehow was able to shop on the UFA market paying $30M/5yrs for Myers in 2019 and $10m/4yrs for Tucker Poolman in 2021 but couldn't afford to retain Chris Tanev at $18M/4yrs in 2020.
He was getting 5.5 before that so it wasn't just Benning.

Some hockey GMs aren't the sharpest tool in the box. They pay on hope and "potential" rather then results.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'd almost be surprised if he didn't end up in Anaheim after his bonus is paid. Fits on pretty much every level. Helps hit the cap floor for a tiny cash salary. Big RHD that they could certainly use to take the bludgeoning and protect their youngins while they learn. Would add a bit of physicality to a team that badly needs it, especially on the blueline.

The only real trick to this whole thing is how late in the offseason his bonus is apparently paid. Makes it really hard for the Canucks to actually use that freed up cap space at that point in the fall. There won't be many useful UFAs left to sign to replace him, and he is still a useful player...even if that's as a bottom-pairing chaos giraffe who can have spurts of #4D sort of play.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
the added bonus for adding The Chaos Giraffe. +5 Tanking bonus. +2 likelihood of summoning Celebrini on a D16.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Since when does cap hit matter to tanking teams , struggling to reach the cap floor to be interested in Myers.

Not only does Myers help them with that, it doesnt cost them as much money as the AAV and on top of that its an investment that can be cashed in for a draft pick asset by trade deadline.

Dont think Canucks need to add a high pick.

If that is the somehow the case, then Canucks better off keeping him and trading him themselves at the TDL.
And those teams can look elsewhere like TOR, Vegas, Tampa... Lots of teams are cap starpped and will want flexibility and pay for it.

If Nucks aren't willing to attach a solid prospect to Myers or at least a 2nd rd pick, those teams won't take him because they kbow they can pry a 2nd out ot TO for Murray or another cap dump...

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Myers is garbage. The game has gotten too fast for him, he just can't mentally keep up anymore. Passes into the skates regularly, can't hit the net with his shot, constantly loses his positioning in his own end, and he consistently bungles plays because he panics whenever the puck is on his stick. He's easily replaced by an AHL vet on league minimum.

The only hope of getting rid of this completely ass player, is that some dinosaur GM sees his 24 inch neck and thinks he brings size/toughness to his top4- after van retains like 2mil

Reactions: sting101

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Only to make up money on the cap. They already have 3 RD signed for next season plus a RD RFA who I would think they would sign as well.
Heck they can play him top 4 minutes or move someone to LD, especially if they draft Michkov they should be tanking again next season for Calebrini (lol definitely butchered the spelling there), also this would give them the opportunity to trade for a 2nd or a 3rd and a late pick during the TDL while only costing 1million real dollars. I'd be surprised to see them not do this especially considering they are trying to collect as many picks right now, my assumption is they'll start to try to ratchet it up after two years of getting blue chip prospect and hope a couple of their 2nd round and later picks hit. Also as a bonus hes a great tank commander so I don't see a strong downside at all for this potential trade.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Is Myers still any good? Sabres need a top 4 right and could take on the cap hit without blinking an eye.
Next to a stable defensive partner he can definitely roam and be the aggressive part of a successful shutdown pair. Heck we'd even retain cap to make it work.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
nobody is gonna take him now, unless it is Myers and a 1st for futures.
come July AFTER you have paid him his $5M signing bonus the Coyotes will be all over it

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
lol, this really shines a light on you.

Cap space is still an extremely valuable commodity. Even for teams that aren't going to spend to the cap or aren't planning on competing, that cap space they have is still extremely valuable. They aren't just going to take a bad player with a really high cap hit for peanuts.

The cost for Colorado to move Erik Johnson last summer with 1 year left on his deal for $6M was a 1st round pick. The cost for Toronto to dump Patrick Marleau a few years ago(When cap space wasn't nearly as valuable of a commodity) when he had a $6M cap hit was a 1st round pick. The cost for Calgary to dump Monahan with 1 year left on his deal last summer was a 1st round pick.

Now, if Vancouver wait until after the signing bonus is paid before trading him, it wont cost a 1st to dump him. But $1M in salary + a $6M cap hit will still cost an asset or two to dump. Probably something like a late 2nd round pick, or a couple of 3rds.

If they're trying to dump him before the $5M bonus comes into play IE at the draft, 1st round pick absolutely. No question.

Your comparisons are ignoring people’s point about Myer’s actual salary of 1m.

Erik Johnson got paid 6m in his last season, 5m is a huge difference for some teams. (Plus he’s was a 34 year old defenseman who’s recently missed a lot of time due to history.)

Marleau had a full NTC which how would only wave for San Jose, who wasn’t trading for him at 6m. Carolina didn’t trade for Marleau, they got a 1st for buying him out, which cost them a total of $3.83m and had a cap hit of 6.25m.

The injury troubled Monahan also made 6m, plus the Flames traded him in mid-August so they could sign Kadri which didn’t make trading him any easier.

Teams always need RHD and he’ll only make 1m on the last year of his deal, if they want to dump Myers I don’t think they’ll have to pay someone to take him.

This is assuming they take care of the bonus early enough to help his trade value, all bets are off if they aren’t paying his 5m bonus until Sept 15 since free agency is finally back to the traditional July 1st start date.

I don’t agree that Luke Schenn points to him having a ton of value, he’s a completely different kind of reliable vet physical depth defenseman that teams like to pick up.

Ristolainan was a punchline and got Buffalo a 1st & 2nd at the 2021 draft though. Nick Leddy was traded for stuff (including a 2nd) two years in a row).

He’s a PMD and he has size, teams with cap space will be interested. You’re nuts if you think it will cost a 1st to move him.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014

Erik Johnson got paid 6m in his last season, 5m is a huge difference for some teams. (Plus he’s was a 34 year old defenseman who’s recently missed a lot of time due to history.)

Marleau had a full NTC which how would only wave for San Jose, who wasn’t trading for him at 6m. Carolina didn’t trade for Marleau, they got a 1st for buying him out, which cost them a total of $3.83m and had a cap hit of 6.25m.

The injury troubled Monahan also made 6m, plus the Flames traded him in mid-August so they could sign Kadri which didn’t make trading him any easier.

Teams always need RHD and he’ll only make 1m on the last year of his deal, if they want to dump Myers I don’t think they’ll have to pay someone to take him.

This is assuming they take care of the bonus early enough to help his trade value, all bets are off if they aren’t paying his 5m bonus until Sept 15 since free agency is finally back to the traditional July 1st start date.

I don’t agree that Luke Schenn points to him having a ton of value, he’s a completely different kind of reliable vet physical depth defenseman that teams like to pick up.

Ristolainan was a punchline and got Buffalo a 1st & 2nd at the 2021 draft though. Nick Leddy was traded for stuff (including a 2nd) two years in a row).

He’s a PMD and he has size, teams with cap space will be interested. You’re nuts if you think it will cost a 1st to move him.
As you pointed out it is all dependent on when. If the acquiring team is on the hook for the $5M bonus paid in the off season then chances are that will cost a 1st to get a team to bite. Post bonus he is tradable to well definitely the Coyotes but other teams that may be looking for a low salary high cap contract which would make it a Myers for Futures deal without the sweetener.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Now, if Vancouver wait until after the signing bonus is paid before trading him, it wont cost a 1st to dump him. But $1M in salary + a $6M cap hit will still cost an asset or two to dump. Probably something like a late 2nd round pick, or a couple of 3rds.

If they're trying to dump him before the $5M bonus comes into play IE at the draft, 1st round pick absolutely. No question.

Next time, just say you didn't read the post and move on.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Next time, just say you didn't read the post and move on.
I guess I could have written a more concise rebuttal and I admittedly lost track of exactly what you said.

You’re examples of other players costing a 1st don’t match Myers, even without the signing bonus paid.

Marleau was a buyout.
Monahan was traded late and an obvious injury risk.
Erik Johnson wasn’t traded, I assume you heard that rumored ask for a 34 year old defensemen who recently missed most of season due to a concussion. (And he had a 13 team No Trade List.)

So I think they could possibly move Myers without paying the bonus for less than 1st. So I don’t agree with the first part. Retaining some salary would likely have to happen, and it wouldn’t be the easiest thing to do, but he’s not the same as your other examples (particularly Marleau).

And I definitely don’t think it would cost them “an asset or two”, meaning an 2nd or couple of 3rds, to move him if he’s making 1m.

He’s problematic, but he’s still a pretty mobile and 6’8” RHD, teams will be interested. The defensive UFA market is dire and a lot of teams need defensemen. They can flip at the TDL as the OP said (not sure for 2nd but something).

Marc Staal had a 5.7m cap hit, and if his 1m signing bonus was paid, he made 3.2m in salary when he cost a 2nd to move.

Just to compare their market value, Evolving Hockey had Marc Staal’s 2019-20 contract evaluation (avg term 2 years, avg 2.136m) vs Tyler Myers’ 2021-22 contract evaluation (avg term 3.2 years, avg 4.455m).

And the 2020 UFA defensemen market was a lot more robust vs the legit terrible this off-season.

If his bonus is late and Vancouver never pays them early, then the hypothetical trade becomes a lot harder.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
I don't the Canucks retaining nor adding in a significant asset to move his salary. That said, I also don't expect a huge return (if at all) for him. If Melnyk was alive, I could see Ottawa as a destination. But I wouldn't be surprised if teams like Arizona or Anaheim use him to get to the floor for the beginning of the season then trade him at the deadline for an asset at 50-75% off (if there's a third team involved).

You don't want Myers in your top 4 (unless you're trying for a high draft pick). His biggest flaw is that he takes too long to think what he wants to do with the puck. If given time, he can make a decent outlet pass, but too often he gets caught with the puck, he'll do a soft clearance that gets intercepted and a good scoring chance for the other team usually occurs. He's also big but doesn't use it and is almost always guaranteed for a minor penalty that his nickname (other than Chaos Giraffe) is Tyler Minors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad