Value of: Take Tyler Myers now, flip him for a 2nd round Pick at the TDL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
At $3m Myers would have some interest. Probably at the deadline though and a team like the Blackhawks can take on some of the cap hit as a 3rd team to bring it below $3m if needed.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Unless a High pick comes attached to Myers as well, nobody is trading for that cap hit.

Since when does cap hit matter to tanking teams , struggling to reach the cap floor to be interested in Myers.

Not only does Myers help them with that, it doesnt cost them as much money as the AAV and on top of that its an investment that can be cashed in for a draft pick asset by trade deadline.

Dont think Canucks need to add a high pick.

If that is the somehow the case, then Canucks better off keeping him and trading him themselves at the TDL.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
I think if people are looking for real trades that could happen for a player, we need to stop putting "real money owed" into the trade proposal. Once you add that you are only asking if the bottom 6 salary cap teams will take him. Any contender could care less about "real money" and are 100% concerned with cap hit.
no real contender would want him. He's horrible

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
no real contender would want him. He's horrible

Maybe not for the cap hit i agree, but skill wise he is way better and more mobile than Luke Schenn and Toronto wanted Luke.

I guarantee Myers will be a hot asset come the TDL.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Someone like Arizona or Chicago will take him if Vancouver adds a 2nd to him I think but @mouser has the best sense of the exact draft capital cost of cap space. Can't imagine anyone giving up an asset for Myers and the gamble they can move him at the deadline with some money retained.

Looks like Myers has a 10 team no trade list but he might be willing to waive if he goes to ARZ and CHI and gets a ton of minutes.
You underestimate how much the Canucks love trading picks

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
I'd take him on the Ducks, but I'm not taking him for free, though. Unless there is something like a 2nd attached to him, there isn't really any reason for us to take him. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if we are on his no-trade list anyway.
A year in the California sun, no reason to turn that down.
I mentioned this in my last post but when I thought of the scenario of moving Garland for basically nothing in return for taking Myers, I thought of the ducks.
Ducks need guys that can score and put up points, Garland needs to go to a team where he gets top 6 mins and pp time to get the most out of him. He's only 25 with 2 years at 4.9 million for a guy that just needs a bigger role to really produce, like he showed his last two seasons in the Desert.
A 2nd is also fair but since he's actually not as bad as people think, is only owed a million and with double retention at the TDL he probably gets you a 2nd, the one from Vancouver would have to be from 2025 imo.

Reactions: Ricky Bobby

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
A year in the California sun, no reason to turn that down.
I mentioned this in my last post but when I thought of the scenario of moving Garland for basically nothing in return for taking Myers, I thought of the ducks.
Ducks need guys that can score and put up points, Garland needs to go to a team where he gets top 6 mins and pp time to get the most out of him. He's only 25 with 2 years at 4.9 million for a guy that just needs a bigger role to really produce, like he showed his last two seasons in the Desert.
A 2nd is also fair but since he's actually not as bad as people think, is only owed a million and with double retention at the TDL he probably gets you a 2nd, the one from Vancouver would have to be from 2025 imo.
Regarding Garland, I don’t mind him as a player, but the main issue I have is our forward core is already pretty small and soft, especially if we wind up with Bedard. I would be hesitant to plug Garland anywhere in our current group.

For Myers, I’m on the fence about a 2025 2nd, but I wanted to address your point about selling him at the deadline. As the Ducks just learned with Klingberg, there is still plenty of risk of hurting his value between now and the trade deadline. In Klingberg’s case, he did not fit and played poorly, which totally plummeted his value. Another scenario could involve an injury that makes Myers useless at the deadline (sort of like Henrique at the last deadline). Assurances of “you will be able to sell him for X at the deadline” aren’t super meaningful, which is why I would, personally, be pretty firm about extracting value ASAP rather than hoping he holds some value 8 months down the line. Again, a 2025 2nd isn’t a bad sweetener by any means, it’s at least worth discussing.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Someone like Arizona or Chicago will take him if Vancouver adds a 2nd to him I think but @mouser has the best sense of the exact draft capital cost of cap space. Can't imagine anyone giving up an asset for Myers and the gamble they can move him at the deadline with some money retained.

Looks like Myers has a 10 team no trade list but he might be willing to waive if he goes to ARZ and CHI and gets a ton of minutes.

I think some team would take Myers for free after his signing bonus is paid and only has $1m salary remaining for the 2023-24 season, that's minimum replacement level salary. Although if reports are accurate his bonus isn't due until Sep 15th that could complicate things as teams usually have their rosters set by that time.

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
Any interest?

Myers has a 6mil cap hit but only due 1million in real money next season. Expiring contract

Canucks are looking to move cap space and a team can take advantage of this by trading for Myers.

We all know how much GMs salivate for Dmen at the trade deadline. Right Shot, Big , Dmen that can skate is also the unicorn of the NHL. They will get many many suitors in free agency and in trades.

Myers is nothing special. He is perfectly capable of being a 4-6 Dman. He has been asked to be a 2-4 in Van which has been a disaster.

What you do get is that 6'8 big Dman , that can skate and be physical.

If Luke Schenn can get a 3rd, Myers can definitely fetch a 2nd at the upcoming trade deadline.

He would be a great "flip" investment for a team looking to add more picks. Maybe they can even get the Canucks to adad a sweetener in the summer? a mid or late pick?

Myers does have a 10 team no trade list and has come out and said he loves living in Vancouver, however, lets put that aside and hear some propsals.

What would a framework trade in the summer look like where a team is buying Myers with the purpose of flipping him for a 2nd round pick at the TDL.
the problem is the cap hit. You can talk about physical money all you like but Schenns cap hit and Myers cap hit are two different things

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
the problem is the cap hit. You can talk about physical money all you like but Schenns cap hit and Myers cap hit are two different things

Why would cap hit matter for a bottom feeder tanking team?

they can obtain Myers in the summer,

then retain whatever is needed to be retained to make the cap hit work for a contending team to snag him at the trade deadline in return of a draft/prospect asset.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Id imagine Arizona isnt in one of his no move destinations as its its in the WEST.

He lives in Kelowna in the off-season and has roots in Vancouver.

My guess is his 10 team NTC is alot of East coast and eastern teams.

Myers is definitely a family man.
That actually makes sense. I'm pessimistic about the Canucks ability to move Myers this off season, but it is his last season in Vancouver and he'll need a new team after that. While block the Canucks ability to trade him by putting obvious candidates on his NTC list, for a guy from Kelowna who isn't likely to get good money from a playoff team Arizona is probably a decent place to end up.

The main problem of course is that Arizona's pretty much the only team looking to cheat the cap floor and almost every team has a player they'd love to dump on them. Myers is a pretty good candidate here but with that leverage they can still probably force the Canucks to give up to move him.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
That actually makes sense. I'm pessimistic about the Canucks ability to move Myers this off season, but it is his last season in Vancouver and he'll need a new team after that. While block the Canucks ability to trade him by putting obvious candidates on his NTC list, for a guy from Kelowna who isn't likely to get good money from a playoff team Arizona is probably a decent place to end up.

The main problem of course is that Arizona's pretty much the only team looking to cheat the cap floor and almost every team has a player they'd love to dump on them. Myers is a pretty good candidate here but with that leverage they can still probably force the Canucks to give up to move him.

Arizona will have no problem hitting the cap floor. It's Chicago and Anaheim that have the most work to do.

Reactions: Guttersniped

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com

I would add Chicago to Arizona’s level now. Chicago has $40M in cap space for next season with their biggest unsigned RFAs being Caleb Jones and Anders Bjork.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
I guarantee you that one of the teams that needs to make up money to make the salary cap minimum will trade for him after the Canucks pay his bonus on July 1st. And the return will be like 5th-7th pick. Maybe even just future considerations.
From my understanding his bonus doesn’t get paid until September 1st. That potentially creates a problem in moving him as most teams will have the bill of their cap allocated by then. The teams with the most space will probably feature prominently on his NTC list of 10

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
I don't think they are comparable for a couple of reasons. TM is fully healthy and is only owed a million bucks. He's also a guy that plays a premium position who as long as he's not on your top pair you're getting an actual decent player. He has warts and ideally is with a reliable partner but his play isn't the negative, its his cap hit. He's far better than Luke Schenn or Guddy etc and if he made 2-3 million he would easily have value at the TDL.

But since we live in a cap world I fully expect it costs a sweetner but I also would fully expect that if the habs had him and brought in a 3rd team at the TDL they would get a 2nd for him on top of what they get from the nucks which might be a 3rd or a lower prospect?

I don't know the habs cap situation but given the glut at wing we have and the desire to add a 3C and a top 4 D, a deal that sends Garland (a guy who I'm convinced would score 60+ with top 6 minutes based on his last 3 seasons) as the sweetener to take Myers would be a move that clears 10 million for the nucks, while the other team gets a guy who is on a great deal and young enough to be part of a young team or could be pumped and dumped after getting put in an actual role that he shows his true production.
Adding an undersized, overpaid winger with 3 years of term is not a sweetener. Montreal has no need for Garland

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Since when does cap hit matter to tanking teams , struggling to reach the cap floor to be interested in Myers.

Not only does Myers help them with that, it doesnt cost them as much money as the AAV and on top of that its an investment that can be cashed in for a draft pick asset by trade deadline.

Dont think Canucks need to add a high pick.

If that is the somehow the case, then Canucks better off keeping him and trading him themselves at the TDL.

lol, this really shines a light on you.

Cap space is still an extremely valuable commodity. Even for teams that aren't going to spend to the cap or aren't planning on competing, that cap space they have is still extremely valuable. They aren't just going to take a bad player with a really high cap hit for peanuts.

The cost for Colorado to move Erik Johnson last summer with 1 year left on his deal for $6M was a 1st round pick. The cost for Toronto to dump Patrick Marleau a few years ago(When cap space wasn't nearly as valuable of a commodity) when he had a $6M cap hit was a 1st round pick. The cost for Calgary to dump Monahan with 1 year left on his deal last summer was a 1st round pick.

Now, if Vancouver wait until after the signing bonus is paid before trading him, it wont cost a 1st to dump him. But $1M in salary + a $6M cap hit will still cost an asset or two to dump. Probably something like a late 2nd round pick, or a couple of 3rds.

If they're trying to dump him before the $5M bonus comes into play IE at the draft, 1st round pick absolutely. No question.

Reactions: Yemeth

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
Why would cap hit matter for a bottom feeder tanking team?

they can obtain Myers in the summer,

then retain whatever is needed to be retained to make the cap hit work for a contending team to snag him at the trade deadline in return of a draft/prospect asset.
What are the canucks adding?

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
So, there are 3 possible destinations.
What if Anaheim, Arizona and Chicago are all on his no trade list?
If one team ist, the GM should ask for a high pick.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Looking at his stats, I didn't realize how bad he is. Don't know why anyone paid him that much money. Where they paying by the inch?

Habs will gave cap space but frankly, we don't need him other then to flip him. Given his 10 team restriction, even that is problematic.

Pass.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Looking at his stats, I didn't realize how bad he is. Don't know why anyone paid him that much money. Where they paying by the inch?

Habs will gave cap space but frankly, we don't need him other then to flip him. Given his 10 team restriction, even that is problematic.

Pass.
<Insert Jim Benning picture here>

For the Canucks critical RD deficiency Benning somehow was able to shop on the UFA market paying $30M/5yrs for Myers in 2019 and $10m/4yrs for Tucker Poolman in 2021 but couldn't afford to retain Chris Tanev at $18M/4yrs in 2020.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad