Value of: Take Tyler Myers now, flip him for a 2nd round Pick at the TDL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Any interest?

Myers has a 6mil cap hit but only due 1million in real money next season. Expiring contract

Canucks are looking to move cap space and a team can take advantage of this by trading for Myers.

We all know how much GMs salivate for Dmen at the trade deadline. Right Shot, Big , Dmen that can skate is also the unicorn of the NHL. They will get many many suitors in free agency and in trades.

Myers is nothing special. He is perfectly capable of being a 4-6 Dman. He has been asked to be a 2-4 in Van which has been a disaster.

What you do get is that 6'8 big Dman , that can skate and be physical.

If Luke Schenn can get a 3rd, Myers can definitely fetch a 2nd at the upcoming trade deadline.

He would be a great "flip" investment for a team looking to add more picks. Maybe they can even get the Canucks to adad a sweetener in the summer? a mid or late pick?

Myers does have a 10 team no trade list and has come out and said he loves living in Vancouver, however, lets put that aside and hear some propsals.

What would a framework trade in the summer look like where a team is buying Myers with the purpose of flipping him for a 2nd round pick at the TDL.

Last edited:

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
What are the Canucks willing to attach to him?

Habs would be interested, if the compensation is good enough. See Monahan

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
He will have some value to rebuilding teams after his bonus is paid. 6m on the cap for only being owed 1 million in actual salary

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Arizona...

ocomeondown.gif

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
I guarantee you that one of the teams that needs to make up money to make the salary cap minimum will trade for him after the Canucks pay his bonus on July 1st. And the return will be like 5th-7th pick. Maybe even just future considerations.

Reactions: CoachWithNoTeam

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I guarantee you that one of the teams that needs to make up money to make the salary cap minimum will trade for him after the Canucks pay his bonus on July 1st. And the return will be like 5th-7th pick. Maybe even just future considerations.

Yes exactly and then said team will be able to flip Myers for a 2nd round pick at the TDL.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
It appears the Canucks owners can't afford to pay bonuses until September because that's their fiscal tax year so no team will take him until his bonus is paid. His agent said it's possible that the bonus could be paid beforehand but no team has ever done it - paid out a bonus before it was due.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
He's got a 10 team NTC. Is he willing to waive to end up in Arizona?

Id imagine Arizona isnt in one of his no move destinations as its its in the WEST.

He lives in Kelowna in the off-season and has roots in Vancouver.

My guess is his 10 team NTC is alot of East coast and eastern teams.

Myers is definitely a family man.

I dont think the Canucks would attach much on Myers.

They essentially can flip him themselves at the TDL and get the 2nd rounder for themselves.

They would just have to resort to other ways in clearing cap, like buying out OEL or trading a winger like Boeser, Garland, or Beuvaullier.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Someone like Arizona or Chicago will take him if Vancouver adds a 2nd to him I think but @mouser has the best sense of the exact draft capital cost of cap space. Can't imagine anyone giving up an asset for Myers and the gamble they can move him at the deadline with some money retained.

Looks like Myers has a 10 team no trade list but he might be willing to waive if he goes to ARZ and CHI and gets a ton of minutes.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
I think if people are looking for real trades that could happen for a player, we need to stop putting "real money owed" into the trade proposal. Once you add that you are only asking if the bottom 6 salary cap teams will take him. Any contender could care less about "real money" and are 100% concerned with cap hit.

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
I'd take him on the Ducks, but I'm not taking him for free, though. Unless there is something like a 2nd attached to him, there isn't really any reason for us to take him. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if we are on his no-trade list anyway.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I think if people are looking for real trades that could happen for a player, we need to stop putting "real money owed" into the trade proposal. Once you add that you are only asking if the bottom 6 salary cap teams will take him. Any contender could care less about "real money" and are 100% concerned with cap hit.

It's not only that. There's no guarantee that any team would find value in artificial cap to skirt the floor. It's a very niche market. Arizona, the go to expected trade partner in a situation like this, will reach it by filling out the roster. A team like Chicago probably doesn't prioritize the cash savings here.

Reactions: Khelandros

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
It will have to wait until after that bonus is paid out but I do think there would be interest from teams that aren’t cap-strapped as long as his NTC doesn’t get in the way.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022

I don't think they are comparable for a couple of reasons. TM is fully healthy and is only owed a million bucks. He's also a guy that plays a premium position who as long as he's not on your top pair you're getting an actual decent player. He has warts and ideally is with a reliable partner but his play isn't the negative, its his cap hit. He's far better than Luke Schenn or Guddy etc and if he made 2-3 million he would easily have value at the TDL.

But since we live in a cap world I fully expect it costs a sweetner but I also would fully expect that if the habs had him and brought in a 3rd team at the TDL they would get a 2nd for him on top of what they get from the nucks which might be a 3rd or a lower prospect?

I don't know the habs cap situation but given the glut at wing we have and the desire to add a 3C and a top 4 D, a deal that sends Garland (a guy who I'm convinced would score 60+ with top 6 minutes based on his last 3 seasons) as the sweetener to take Myers would be a move that clears 10 million for the nucks, while the other team gets a guy who is on a great deal and young enough to be part of a young team or could be pumped and dumped after getting put in an actual role that he shows his true production.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad