Tribute T.J. Oshie Appreciation Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Absolute warrior, shootout sorcerer, and king of the bumper. One of my all-time favorite Caps.

I’ll always remember him getting a hat trick the day after his father passed. Him sobbing on the bench and in Backy’s arms. Just a great dude. Hopefully his back stabilizes, and he can just enjoy his family.

Hadn't watched anything from the pandemic season in a long time. So eery how quiet it was. And yeah, Osh is just heart and soul.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
My favorite kind of player:

Sublime skill but weirdly doesn't always look polished, does a lot of "strange" intuitive things like using his feet a lot more than other players just to get the puck where it needs to go (even when he's got hands for days), scores, passes, makes good setup touches... isn't threatening to be one of the best, but one of the best complete players just below all-star/world level.

Physical as can be without being a physical standout, not fast, not even a particularly elegant skater, just... throws all the various parts of his body towards the play and makes it work.

He's like Frankenstein's hockey player, it feels like these attributes shouldn't all exist in one person but they do, and watching it work is compelling. They're not all the same caliber in a way that feels more noticeable than with other guys, maybe because his skating is arguably his worst skill and makes him look like he's trying to catch up to his own body while he plays "over his head" but he just kept succeeding over and over through what looks like willpower.

I've tried and failed to describe it but it's been really fun to watch.

That said, stop. You've got too many kids and too many major moments on the horizon to be sidelined for the rest of your life, be it back, brain, or just regular wear and tear on the knees. Love you forever but y'all did what you needed to do, played everywhere you're going to play, had a beautiful career. Call it and be present for them, enjoy the next phase of life, come back any time.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
When my Mom was very sick with stage 4 cancer she had to leave in the middle of the USA Russia game and go to the emergency hospital. We saw Oshie keep scoring in the shootout and lead USA to a win. It was one of the last games we saw together and made us happy at the time. Oshie is always a hero and a legend.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Thank you Troy Brouwer, the leader of meh, for making the supreme sacrifice.
Shanky was the only player in NHL history to log 4 hits a game yet no one ever remember a single one.

This was the trade that put us over the top.

Game 3 IIRC vs Vegas Oshie trucked 2 Knights in the offensive zone that led directly to goals. One was on Eakin.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Never too early to appreciate a legend
F.-Scott-Fitzgerald-quote-about-showing-from-The-Great-Gatsby-1c8293s[1].jpg

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
View attachment 907834

One of the greatest, most-beloved Capitals of all time.

"Greatest"? Yeah, not quite. But possibly the scrappiest of all time. My father, an Englishman, used to describe England as "a country that punches above its weight." That was TJ to a tee. Scrappy, fearless, wouldn't back down from anyone. Instrumental in the Caps magical 2018 run.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
"Greatest"? Yeah, not quite. But possibly the scrappiest of all time. My father, an Englishman, used to describe England as "a country that punches above its weight." That was TJ to a tee. Scrappy, fearless, wouldn't back down from anyone. Instrumental in the Caps magical 2018 run.
Oshie is 9th all time in goals scored as a Capital

1726912647362.png

5th all time in PPG

1726912692876.png

6th in Hat tricks

1726912732707.png

He's also all time among Capitals:

5th in Hits
15th in Blocked Shots
14th in Even Strength Goals
7th in Even Strength Points
12th in Game Winning Goals
16th in Game Winning Assists
14th in Game Winning Points
8th in OT Assists
8th in Goals per 60min
20th in Points
27th in Assists
29th in games played

tl'dr:

One of the greatest Capitals of all time.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
Glad I could be there for his 1k game celebration. I was impressed, but not surprised, by how many players from around the league recorded massages congratulating him on the achievement. Seems like he made an impression on everyone he ever played with, which tracks with everything we've been so lucky to see over the years. Special player, special person.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
On topic of Caps greatest…is Oshie trade the best in Caps history? Dont know much before 2000 except whats on paper hoping some old timers can chime in.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Oshie is 9th all time in goals scored as a Capital

View attachment 908373

5th all time in PPG

View attachment 908374

6th in Hat tricks

View attachment 908375

He's also all time among Capitals:

5th in Hits
15th in Blocked Shots
14th in Even Strength Goals
7th in Even Strength Points
12th in Game Winning Goals
16th in Game Winning Assists
14th in Game Winning Points
8th in OT Assists
8th in Goals per 60min
20th in Points
27th in Assists
29th in games played

tl'dr:

One of the greatest Capitals of all time.
Cracks the overall top-20 for me…I think he qualifies as a “great”….

Reactions: g00n

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
On topic of Caps greatest…is Oshie trade the best in Caps history? Dont know much before 2000 except whats on paper hoping some old timers can chime in.
I mean it was really sad to lose a card carrying member of a Leaders of Men in TBrow however even with hindsight 20/20 great trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad