Prospect Info: Syracuse Crunch, Orlando Solar Bears & Prospects

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Crunch gonna be fun with Groshev, Geekie, Duke, Huuhtanen, Finley and more this season! We'll see how the NHL lineup shakes out to see what will happen with Crozier, Carlile, Lilleberg, Goncalves.
That is a lot of young players who are going from being the more experienced player on the ice among a group of players their own age or younger to playing against opponents who are much older, experienced, bigger, faster, and skilled.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Shaugabay vs Saarelainen from yesterday on day 1 of the world junior summer showcase. Shaugabay is essentially on USA’s ‘B’ team. Saarelainen while only 18 years old is coming from playing on Finland’s top line at both the Hlinka where he was the captain and the top line at the U-18s where he was an alternate captain.

And 2 goals for Saarelainen

Last edited:

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Another point today for Saarelainen

This is against USA’s ‘A’ team which has returning WJC gold medalists Gabe Perreault, Ryan Leonard, Zeev Buium, Oliver Moore, and potential 2025 1st overall pick James Hagens.

No points again today for Shaugabay as he moves up to the 2nd line to play with Cole Eiserman

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

The Gravels are one of those large hockey families you probably don't know, and a few of them are goalies.

Last edited:

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Gauthier starting off camp on a line with Brayden Yager and Tanner Howe. Yager was on the 2024 WJC team for Canada. All 6 returners at this camp (Yager, Rehkopf, Wood, Cowan, Bonk, and Ratzlaff) are on team red

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockeyville USA

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Shaugabay getting a little more of an opportunity today on the top line/top pp as David Carle sits the returnees to better evaluate the rest of the group. Shaugabay comes through with 1 goal + 1 assist in a 5-7 loss to Sweden today.

Saarelainen continues to make the most of these exhibition games with another goal today against Canada.

No Ethan Gauthier today, but it seems likely that he will draw in tomorrow against the US as both teams play their last game of the summer showcase

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Some highlights from Friday’s games

Saarelainen’s goal at 3:24

Shaugabay’s assist at 5:47

Shaugabay’s breakaway goal at 7:04

Oh, and Saarelainen scored again today. That’s 4 goals, 5 points in 4 games

The Bolts got a gem in the fifth round, I’m telling you. The 5-foot-9 forward has no problem putting points on the board and has been the Finns’ most productive player through two summer tournaments already. He just wants the puck on his stick and he’s got the release to make it work, especially on the power play. Saarelainen also killed some penalties, too.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

Jayson Shaugabay, RW (TBL)

Shaugabay showed flashes of his skill and made a few really nice plays. I just don’t see where he fits on the roster. I don’t think there’s much of a spot for him in their top nine and his style of game isn’t built for the fourth line. My expectation is he will have a solid freshman season at Minnesota Duluth, but it just won’t be at the level needed for the World Juniors. Either way, he's on a very positive track in his development as a hockey player.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockeyville USA

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

google translated:

Noah Steen on signing with Orebro (SHL) this offseason after playing for Mora the past few years -
- There were a few options, but it was very easy for me. I had a long conversation with Niklas (Eriksson) and it felt right right away. There was no doubt, they had a good plan for me that I felt comfortable with. I haven't made a wrong decision so far. Everyone has been nice and received me in a good way. I am very happy with my choice, says Steen to Nerikes Allehanda.
One who had a minor but significant role in Steen's decision was Norwegian goalkeeper and compatriot Jonas Arntzen.

- Yes, he came up to me at a national team camp and asked if there was interest, because then Niklas had wanted to have a chat. After he got in touch, I said that I absolutely wanted to talk to Niklas. Then we had a chat and after that there was no doubt. It felt right away, Steen tells Nerikes Allehanda.
- I like to be in the face of the opponents and think it should be that way. It gives energy to the team and I try to show it to everyone. I'm for winning and nothing else, concludes Steen to Nerikes Allehanda.

Steen signed a 3 year contract with Orebro back in April

Head coach Niklas Eriksson on Steen at the time of the signing:
- Noah is a player who has had an incredible development during the season. During the playoffs, he made a big impact and we really like what we've seen from him. We see Noah as a player for the future and a type of player who stands for a lot of energy, but who at the same time has a high degree of skill. With his intense game, Noah is difficult to face, but he can also be involved and make a difference going forward. Noah is also at a good age and with his sense of purpose we believe he will be able to make great strides in our environment.

Last edited:
Reactions: PabloT

SaucerpassfromKuch

Nov 20, 2022
I'll be following Saarelainen this year if he makes it to Finnish league, most likely he will be playing in juniors or in Mestis ( 2nd highest level in Finland). His team KalPa is great place for him to develop, they have a good track record of developing his type of players. Unfortunately they're pretty stacked on offense, so without injuries Saarelainen won't be getting that many chances with them.

On Niko Huuhtanen, I saw maybe 20-30 games from him last year. I think his numbers got a bit inflated by Kovarcik brothers who were dominant players in Liiga. I think he would have potted good amount of points anyway, he is good on PP and has a good shot, but he plays a bit too slow with the puck and takes stupid penalties. He also needs to improve his skating so he can keep up with the intensity of North American games, it will be interesting to see what kind of season he has in the AHL.

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
been watching Geekie highlights to see how he could fit in here and what role he could play, and ive started to notice one of his teammates that i wouldnt mind seeing us bring into prospects camp next season. Kenta Isogai from Nagano, Japan. he had 31-57-88 in 64GP. only 19 years old, 5'11 154lbs. Very speedy two way guy with a really good shot as well. Might be worth it to keep tabs on him this year in Wenatchee.

Lots of Isogai highlights in a Geekie video:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
been watching Geekie highlights to see how he could fit in here and what role he could play, and ive started to notice one of his teammates that i wouldnt mind seeing us bring into prospects camp next season. Kenta Isogai from Nagano, Japan. he had 31-57-88 in 64GP. only 19 years old, 5'11 154lbs. Very speedy two way guy with a really good shot as well. Might be worth it to keep tabs on him this year in Wenatchee.

Lots of Isogai highlights in a Geekie video:

from EPrinkside
Because Isogai's still figuring out how to best use his skills, he looks less like a draft-plus-two prospect and more like a first-time draft eligible. There are plenty of mistakes and missed opportunities, but that also means he has plenty of room to grow.

Point21

Oct 23, 2018

definitely notice his mistakes but that can be easily fixed compared to if it was his skating. he seems to overplay alot of pucks and cant seem to handle some loose pucks at times. stuff that can be easily adjusted in 2 years or so. i would love to see him in this organization cause under Barb he could be as fast as Point and with the amount of Vets and skilled guys here, he could really flourish in our system

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

The ECHL is bringing the roster size up to NHL standards, so TB/SYR can send us an additional guy to play.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

Below is one veteran AHL player's perspective on how the veteran rule is ruining the competitiveness of the league.

"I'm not sure how they expect first year prospects to develop if it's all other prospects they're playing with and against. I felt like when I was 19/20 years old in [team redacted] I had a much bigger group of veteran players that helped me," a veteran AHL-level free agent explained to InsideAHLHockey.com.

"[There's] no doubt the veteran rule is an issue in my opinion. A lot of veterans are sick and tired of the main focus strictly being a development league and AHL teams not [being] concerned about winning or losing," the veteran AHL free agent continued. "Depending on the coach, I've had a couple coaches say we are playing to win to start the season. And my last coach said we are playing to develop first before anything."

"We lost almost every single game my first year pro in [team redacted] and let me tell you the difference being on a winning team development-wise, whether that means the prospects have to earn their opportunity and 'trust the process' or being on a losing team and getting every opportunity handed to you..."

"That's going to fall back on [prospects] when they aren't prepared for the next step playing against men [in the NHL]. That's what the AHL has turned into - there's no fear."
I'm not sure if it's the veteran rule so much as it is NHL teams completely taking over their AHL affiliates. An AHL only owner probably can't sustain constant losing.

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy
    Israel vs Italy
    Wagers: 7
    Staked: $30,494.00