Laval Rocket: Syracuse at Laval Game 2 3PM

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Better players all around
These are my observations of the Laval v. Syracuse rematch. Again, I will restrict my comments to those players who can truly be considered prospects.

Overall, Laval played a bit more lethargically than they did in the first game against Syracuse, but the Rockets have a quick team and they played well enough to win.

Roy once again had a strong game as he made numerous good passes and plays that led to scoring chances and repeatedly was able to read the play and position himself in a position to receive a pass that resulted in scoring opportunities. Roy didn’t skate as well in this game as he did in the previous game against Syracuse where he was the best player on the ice. He did have several rushes where he was able to beat an opposing defenceman wide which is a good sign. Roy is also a sneaky puck thief and was able to strip unaware opposing players of the puck thereby causing a bit of havoc in the offensive zone. Roy is showing that he has the skill and enough skating to be effective in the AHL. The question is, does he have enough skating to be effective at the next level.

Aside from scoring his first AHL goal, Beck had another strong game. He continued to show his strong skating and was a physical force delivering 3 devastating hits during the game. He continued to play on a line with Mesar and Davidson, played on Laval’s first power play unit and played several shifts as a penalty killer. While I thought that he fought the puck a bit during the game, Beck still created a number of scoring chances with his speed and board play. Beck was also good in the face-off circle and was used by the coaches for face-offs in the offensive zone late in the first and second periods. He won both faceoffs and the face-off win late in the second period almost resulted in a goal. If he keeps up his impressive play, Beck will earn a call up later this year, particularly if Dvorak is traded at or before the TDL.

In his limited playing time, I think Farrell had a noticeable game and showed NHL level skating both with and without the puck. He plays with intensity and showed his skating ability when he was able to keep up with Beck to almost score on a great two on one opportunity. This kid, who made multiple good plays in the offensive zone, continues to show that he has value and adds to what is Laval’s greatest asset: team quickness.

Mesar had another very strong game and made the great play/pass that led to Beck’s goal. Mesar showed speed, quickness, offensive vision, defensive responsibility and a level of intensity that bodes well for this very skillful, undersized forward. Mesar was often the first player on the forecheck and was often the first player back in the defensive zone. The more I watch Mesar the more I am convinced he has the skill and determination to play in the NHL. He has to get stronger and when he does, he will play at the next level, for Montreal or some other team.

Engstrom was again Laval’s best defenceman. Engstrom displays superior talent and ability whether playing strong defensively, smoothly carrying the puck out of his zone or making intuitive passes to teammates on the power play. Other than one grievous giveaway in the second period, Engstrom had a largely mistake free game and probably showed Hughes and company that it would have wiser to have called him up rather than Mailloux.

After three very strong games, Tuch had a very modest or understated game against Syracuse.2. He still showed the elements that make him an excellent NHL prospect: speed, size and physical aggressiveness. I still have no doubts that this kid makes the NHL.

Trudeau continued to play effective defence showing a level of skating that the Syracuse announcer called gliding on the ice. He has enough mobility to avoid the first forechecker and to successfully gain exit from his defensive zone. This is an important skill. Something that Mailloux still lacks. One only has to remember the long periods that Montreal was pinned in their defensive zone against the Islanders when Mailloux and Hutson were on the ice. While he needs to get stronger, Trudeau has the mobility to skate the puck out of his defensive zone.

Florian Xhekaj’s game continues to surprise. He showed good straight forward speed and was able to make subtle passes in all three zones of the ice. Florian played a physical game, finished almost all his checks and came close to scoring a couple of times. I think it became apparent as the game went on that Florian’s presence on the ice was an intimidating factor to the Syracuse defencemen The coaches now have Florian playing on the second penalty killing unit where his size, reach, skating ability and hockey IQ can be utilized. But this interesting prospect needs to get quicker if he wants to have an impactful NHL career.

Because of the endless stream of penalties both Davidson and Kidney played only marginal shifts in the game. Kidney continued to show that his game has grown since being drafted. But like so many younger, marginal players, unless Kidney’s game is infused with greater quickness and he gets stronger his chances at playing at the next level are questionable. That being said, he plays with an element of tenacity that still makes him a reasonable prospect. Davidson still showed the elements of an NHL player: strength, reasonable skating and some offensive vision/skill. It was good to see Davidson stick up for Mesar after the latter was hit hard on a questionable play. But Davidson’s limitations were shown on a play where he was breaking towards the net with Tuch and instead of saucering a pass to the breaking Tuch, Davidson chose to shoot the puck from an extreme angle which the Syracuse goalie easily saved. It was interesting to see Tuch’s expression after that squandered opportunity.

Just my thoughts.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
These are my observations of the Laval v. Syracuse rematch. Again, I will restrict my comments to those players who can truly be considered prospects.

Overall, Laval played a bit more lethargically than they did in the first game against Syracuse, but the Rockets have a quick team and they played well enough to win.

Roy once again had a strong game as he made numerous good passes and plays that led to scoring chances and repeatedly was able to read the play and position himself in a position to receive a pass that resulted in scoring opportunities. Roy didn’t skate as well in this game as he did in the previous game against Syracuse where he was the best player on the ice. He did have several rushes where he was able to beat an opposing defenceman wide which is a good sign. Roy is also a sneaky puck thief and was able to strip unaware opposing players of the puck thereby causing a bit of havoc in the offensive zone. Roy is showing that he has the skill and enough skating to be effective in the AHL. The question is, does he have enough skating to be effective at the next level.

Aside from scoring his first AHL goal, Beck had another strong game. He continued to show his strong skating and was a physical force delivering 3 devastating hits during the game. He continued to play on a line with Mesar and Davidson, played on Laval’s first power play unit and played several shifts as a penalty killer. While I thought that he fought the puck a bit during the game, Beck still created a number of scoring chances with his speed and board play. Beck was also good in the face-off circle and was used by the coaches for face-offs in the offensive zone late in the first and second periods. He won both faceoffs and the face-off win late in the second period almost resulted in a goal. If he keeps up his impressive play, Beck will earn a call up later this year, particularly if Dvorak is traded at or before the TDL.

In his limited playing time, I think Farrell had a noticeable game and showed NHL level skating both with and without the puck. He plays with intensity and showed his skating ability when he was able to keep up with Beck to almost score on a great two on one opportunity. This kid, who made multiple good plays in the offensive zone, continues to show that he has value and adds to what is Laval’s greatest asset: team quickness.

Mesar had another very strong game and made the great play/pass that led to Beck’s goal. Mesar showed speed, quickness, offensive vision, defensive responsibility and a level of intensity that bodes well for this very skillful, undersized forward. Mesar was often the first player on the forecheck and was often the first player back in the defensive zone. The more I watch Mesar the more I am convinced he has the skill and determination to play in the NHL. He has to get stronger and when he does, he will play at the next level, for Montreal or some other team.

Engstrom was again Laval’s best defenceman. Engstrom displays superior talent and ability whether playing strong defensively, smoothly carrying the puck out of his zone or making intuitive passes to teammates on the power play. Other than one grievous giveaway in the second period, Engstrom had a largely mistake free game and probably showed Hughes and company that it would have wiser to have called him up rather than Mailloux.

After three very strong games, Tuch had a very modest or understated game against Syracuse.2. He still showed the elements that make him an excellent NHL prospect: speed, size and physical aggressiveness. I still have no doubts that this kid makes the NHL.

Trudeau continued to play effective defence showing a level of skating that the Syracuse announcer called gliding on the ice. He has enough mobility to avoid the first forechecker and to successfully gain exit from his defensive zone. This is an important skill. Something that Mailloux still lacks. One only has to remember the long periods that Montreal was pinned in their defensive zone against the Islanders when Mailloux and Hutson were on the ice. While he needs to get stronger, Trudeau has the mobility to skate the puck out of his defensive zone.

Florian Xhekaj’s game continues to surprise. He showed good straight forward speed and was able to make subtle passes in all three zones of the ice. Florian played a physical game, finished almost all his checks and came close to scoring a couple of times. I think it became apparent as the game went on that Florian’s presence on the ice was an intimidating factor to the Syracuse defencemen The coaches now have Florian playing on the second penalty killing unit where his size, reach, skating ability and hockey IQ can be utilized. But this interesting prospect needs to get quicker if he wants to have an impactful NHL career.

Because of the endless stream of penalties both Davidson and Kidney played only marginal shifts in the game. Kidney continued to show that his game has grown since being drafted. But like so many younger, marginal players, unless Kidney’s game is infused with greater quickness and he gets stronger his chances at playing at the next level are questionable. That being said, he plays with an element of tenacity that still makes him a reasonable prospect. Davidson still showed the elements of an NHL player: strength, reasonable skating and some offensive vision/skill. It was good to see Davidson stick up for Mesar after the latter was hit hard on a questionable play. But Davidson’s limitations were shown on a play where he was breaking towards the net with Tuch and instead of saucering a pass to the breaking Tuch, Davidson chose to shoot the puck from an extreme angle which the Syracuse goalie easily saved. It was interesting to see Tuch’s expression after that squandered opportunity.

Just my thoughts.
Good stuff sir...I am becoming a huge fan of Beck...you said he had top 6 upside...he may very well have.
Mesar is showing the doubters wrong!

Engstrom is the best prospect imo on this Laval roster.

But the truth be known.....................he has gone from the little engine that could, to the little engine that at least always tries hard. He has had his struggles, but his heart is bigger than his head.
👍

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Good stuff sir...I am becoming a huge fan of Beck...you said he had top 6 upside...he may very well have.
Mesar is showing the doubters wrong!

Engstrom is the best prospect imo on this Laval roster.

There’s a lot talent in Laval: Beck, Tuch, Mesar, Roy, Florian, Engstrom, etc. It’s been a while since we had such a bounty on the horizon.

As for Beck, it would be wonderful if Hage bumped Beck down on our long term depth charts. With 3 first round and 4 round second draft choices over the next two years, its not inconceivable that we pick a center that bumps Beck even further down. This is a good thing.

As for Engstrom, I agree. This player is too good for the AHL. After watching Mailloux play last night it must be obvious to any one watching that he is not ready for prime time. As I noted, it should have been Engstrom that received the call up. I suggest that this error will be rectified in the near future.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
There’s a lot talent in Laval: Beck, Tuch, Mesar, Roy, Florian, Engstrom, etc. It’s been a while since we had such a bounty on the horizon.

As for Beck, it would be wonderful if Hage bumped Beck down on our long term depth charts. With 3 first round and 4 round second draft choices over the next two years, its not inconceivable that we pick a center that bumps Beck even further down. This is a good thing.

As for Engstrom, I agree. This player is too good for the AHL. After watching Mailloux play last night it must be obvious to any one watching that he is not ready for prime time. As I noted, it should have been Engstrom that received the call up. I suggest that this error will be rectified in the near future.
Engstrom won't be in the AHL long.

It would be awesome if Mesar forced a NHL call up later this year! That would be epic!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad