WC: Switzerland 2024 roster talk

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
Yes and very disciplined as well, luckily.
I must say that Fora and Jung have been giving very little reason to complain.
Also, the bold decision of keeping Kurashev out ( if not injured or too tired) did not bite Fischer in the arse, so far his choices paid off

Reactions: SwissFan12

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Happy we took the monkey off our back at last. Lo and behold, I liked Fora, I think that he played a great game. And Thurkauf is getting better by the minute. Finally playing like a dude of his caliber.

Reactions: Jon Riley

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
Maybe he did not completely trust the conditions of Siegenthaler (or other defended), anyways it was a risky choice, glad it worked.

I liked Herzog's match today

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
I mean, he dressed Jung but i don't remember seeing him playing, I think that he may have never stepped on the ice. I can only think that he took him as some kind of precaution (or punishment for Kurashev)

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Jung had 3 shifts with less than one minute of ice-time. I can see Fischer rotating Kurashev in depending on the opponent.

I still see Jäger the better option than Simion. He nearly cost the game with that missing puck shortly before the end where he wanted to use his skate instead of just using the stick.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Just watched the game. The 2nd half wasn't great, as already said, but I thought that unlike in 2019 and 2021 they did a good job stopping the opponent in the neutral zone or pushing it along the boards rather than being continuously under pressure. I'd still prefer to see more puck possession when leading. Another aspect I didn't like was faceoffs, way too many were won cleanly by the German player.

I thought the PK was much better too, unlike in previous games they didn't get beaten by cross ice passes through the box. Also good too see all four lines contributing.

Still, staying out of the box will be key to further success, as well as scoring 5 on 5. Play with your head and don't give video reviews a chance, penalties are unlikely to be balanced against Canada.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
One thing that is quite astonishing is that in the past 6 games, no team scored on Switzerland at 5vs5 (last goal against at 5vs5 was the fifth goal by Austria). Gotta be close to a record of some kind, I guess.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Holy crap, I had flashbacks of 2019 and 2021 while watching the third period. I never thought they'd win when it went to OT.

It felt like they ran out of energy after the first period. Given that my pessimism worked well as a reverse jinx against Germany, I'll just say that after such a game I can't see how they can beat an opponent with more rest and the full support of the crowd.

Reactions: Jon Riley

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
It felt like they ran out of energy after the first period. Given that my pessimism worked well as a reverse jinx against Germany, I'll just say that after such a game I can't see how they can beat an opponent with more rest and the full support of the crowd.
Yeah, it's gonna be tough. But it's also a lot of pressure on them. That's their chance, at home.

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
Holy crap, I had flashbacks of 2019 and 2021 while watching the third period. I never thought they'd win when it went to OT.

I gave up inside when Canada scored the 2-2, i thought that the match was done.
I'm am so glad they did it.
Genoni has been monumental, specially because the mistake on Tavares goal in the end did not count

Reactions: pouf pouf

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Never change a winning team or rotate a 13th forward with fresh legs in?
Jung played 3 minutes, you can play with 6D, but playing with 11F is tough, especially after todays game in the legs.

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
I agree with that, specially if the plan is to play again with 4 goalkeepers and dive in front of every single shot ever taken like they did yesterday.

By the way, the first line may have been producing basically all the scoring, but the rest of the roster has been absolutely gold in shutting down the other team, yesterday Bertschy and Haas specially, but Thurkauf, Herzog and Scherwey as well were excellent.
Kurashev may bring some scoring depth, but not sure if he is able to bring this intensity and self sacrifice

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
This is a bit OFF TOPIC, but apparently for Ticino TV, the game tonight is for the bronze:

2024-05-26 14.13.15.jpeg

And for the television Suisse Romande, it‘s SWEDEN vs the Czech Republic…

2024-05-26 14.09.25.jpeg

(SRF got it right. All hail the Swiss Germans!
PS: maybe it‘s simply Swisscom messing things up, rather than the individual television channels…)

Last edited:

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
In what world couldn't Hajek play that puck? Then a goal by a guy who hasn't played an actual hockey game in two years... 😢

It's by far the most painful of the 3 final losses

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Yeah, that was not an icing. That's a bitter pill to swallow. But CZE was the better team.

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
Today it still hurts, this year was a golden chance to finally win, with the big guys showing up and a very talented roster.
I don't feel like we are going to have many more years like this for many of our guy Josi and Nino specially, but also less prominent players that has been excellent for the national team like Ambhül (of course) Genoni, Loeffel, Scherwey or Haas.

I have never been a Fischer hater, but I thought that he had his time and it was probably eight to move on from him, this tournament is probably going to strengthen his position by a lot though and that is not a good news for Bichsel for example.
That said, it's pretty clear to me that he has the trust of the most important players, would Fiala have left his family to play if he wasn't fully convinced about Fischer project?

What is the way forward? Players like Josi deserves to win something big before the end of their career

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
I randomly started to think about an interesting debate:

What was the best team Switzerland? 2013 or 2024?
Top end talent, 2024. The 2013 was probably deeper though.
This year we had Fiala and Hischier that are both game changers and absolute stars, but Plüss, Hollenstein, Simon Moser, Suri, Walker, :eek::eek::eek::eek:i etc were bringing an amount of skills and intensity that was priceless i think

Hf boards is censoring C(u)nti :)

• Haha

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
Today it still hurts, this year was a golden chance to finally win, with the big guys showing up and a very talented roster.
I don't feel like we are going to have many more years like this for many of our guy Josi and Nino specially, but also less prominent players that has been excellent for the national team like Ambhül (of course) Genoni, Loeffel, Scherwey or Haas.

I have never been a Fischer hater, but I thought that he had his time and it was probably eight to move on from him, this tournament is probably going to strengthen his position by a lot though and that is not a good news for Bichsel for example.
That said, it's pretty clear to me that he has the trust of the most important players, would Fiala have left his family to play if he wasn't fully convinced about Fischer project?

What is the way forward? Players like Josi deserves to win something big before the end of their career
Would be great if they could do it at home in 2026 :)

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Sucks that we lost. Not sure if the stars will ever alaign again as they had for this tourney. Josi Fiala and Hischier were all at their best for parts of the tournament. Its going to be hard to recreate that. Besides Josi some of the most important role players from the NLA are aging too. And I have no clue how long Genoni can play at this level. I guess we have to hope for the Devils Preds Kings to keep sucking next season and stake our hopes in next years WC.

And I still think Fischer is not the right guy to go forward despite this result. He never really convinced me as a NT coach and I am not going to revert back from that take now. When you have that many NHL stars at your desposal you need to win a k.o game or two in that format. And that he did now for once. But I still didnt like his strategies in the process. We were to passive in the two last periods againt canada. And I hoped for a more daring approach against the Czechs as well. Make no mistake, I dont blame it on him that we lost the gold medal. But I dont think he made that many significant contributions to bring the team this far either. I still hoped so much the guys could win the gold though. And with Fischer we have to live anyway. It wouldnt have mattered if we won gold or lost in the quarters again. He is going to stay NT coach for as long as he likes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad