Swayman Vs The Bruins

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
I don't think the Nylander situation was anywhere near as contentious as this. Nothing played out from either side in the media and the guy would go on to commit what is likely close to the entirety of his pro career to the team later on his next deal

It's the Bruins front office which seems to be thr main factor in driving the tone of this negotiation imo

I dunno, man…..if it were about a reasonable amount of money, Neely doing what he did looks more like an exasperated gesture to put the offer on the table where Sway could process it before an agent tainted the attempt.

To use Charlie Brown and Lucy as an example mechanism, Neely at least moved the football “in”, Lewis Gross’ influence seems bent on moving the football “out.”

Understanding and respecting that there are multiple perspectives and points of view on this, I can’t help but get stuck on how much gravity his agent seems to have right now - even as Sway’s 44 game maximum looks to be about the most concrete point in the argument, and it works in favor of the Bruins’ logic.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

PK is a moron and hates the Bruins.

Swayman is a moron in his own head. This nonsense business expertise garbage proves it, despite he and his agent negotiating on pure emotion rather than statistical.

I was team Swayman a week ago but he looks absolutely pathetic. His agent even worse. Sign the 8 year contract for more money than nearly any NHL goalie in history, and more money than majority of fans will reach with multiple generations and enough public whining. He is no victim. His feelings are fine regardless of what he whispers, or whimpers, to himself each night.

I don't think the Nylander situation was anywhere near as contentious as this. Nothing played out from either side in the media and the guy would go on to commit what is likely close to the entirety of his pro career to the team later on his next deal

It's the Bruins front office which seems to be thr main factor in driving the tone of this negotiation imo

The Bruins have not had a leak to the media in what seems like a decade. But it is them, not this outlier player and agent.... certainly.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
sounds like it's starting to get personal. bruins should have held on to ullmark until the swayman deal was done. on the plus side the sens will probably sell ullmark for half of what they paid, as is tradition

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
It's a lot easier to say in hindsight but sure. I don't really see what the plan is from Swayman and his agent. Try to use leverage to the point where they are both losing money from this?
It seems that it is about more than the actual money. He wants to be paid what he believes he is worth, especially after what appears to have been an arbitration process that got to him. Just a guess but it seems sitting out a bit, whether it’s a month or two, that he money lost won’t matter much in the context of the long term deal he will eventually sign-whether from Boston or someone else.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
It seems that it is about more than the actual money. He wants to be paid what he believes he is worth, especially after what appears to have been an arbitration process that got to him. Just a guess but it seems sitting out a bit, whether it’s a month or two, that he money lost won’t matter much in the context of the long term deal he will eventually sign-whether from Boston or someone else.
You make a valid point that in the long-run this lost money is not really relevant because of a likely longterm contract. That being said, I can't see other teams being more eager to give a longterm expensive contract because he got his wittle feelings hurt during an arbitration hearing.

I don't really see why the Bruins need to feel pressured into doing something. They probably have the best defense in the league so I'm sure Korpisalo will do a fine job. If Swayman was a forward then I can see them feeling more desperate. But I don't think the difference between Swayman and Korpisalo (or another goalie they could trade for) will make or break their season.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I'm confused. Does Swayman want out of Boston that bad? He knows how he's playing this has pretty much left him on the doorstep with no place to go as an RFA. Bruins could just let him rot for a few years and he doesn't get paid at all while sitting.

If he wants to prove he's 'worth' all the money he's demanding, he needs to play. All he's done is screwed himself over.

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
If this thread has taught me anything it's that there are a bunch of folks here who are completely unaware of any whining they do themselves and who think they never get their "feelings hurt."

Reactions: Pablo El Perro

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Have we gotten to the part of the thread where Bruins fans delude themselves into thinking they are ok with Krapisalo starting the season? I know that delusion quite well. Lasts 5 games.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Swayman will be traded, Bruins have botched this about as badly as possible.

There will be those calling Swayman/players selfish, ignoring that the game is always in favor of the billionaire owners. That 64 mil woulda been plenty, imo, had they not offered it the way they did.

Oh, and I don’t think Swayman should take the arbitration so seriously (if that isn’t just a gambit)- it’s possible for both parties to be wrong to some degree, but Bruins seem far more at fault.
It’s just business. Bluejays George Bell had the greatest salary negotiation attitude. After winning league MVP his contract was up. Mgmt were pointing to all the faults he had. Bell replied ok fine I’ll take the offer but I want a 50 thousand dollar bonus if I win comeback player of the year. lol!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad