Confirmed with Link: Suter signs 1 year

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
We just signed Joseph. He's worth seeing if there is anything there over Suter. I don't think Suter is signing a performance laced bonus with a non-contender if we can't promise him a decent shot at ice time, or unless absolutely nobody else wanted him.
Without a doubt, NOBODY else wanted him. Was this the only way Army could add "affordable" size and grit to The Blues' back end? The Blues have NO chance to win The Stanley Cup, or make a long run in The Playoffs this season, in any case. So why bring in a non-"team player", who is slow as a swimming through a peat bog, and as old as Methuselah (in hockey-playing terms), who will help make a bad atmosphere for The Blues' younger players to develop, and also leave the team less playing time available for them, just hoping to barely sneak into the last Wild Card spot?????

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Seriously what is the rush to get rid of Krug right this second? Waive him? That will never happen. Y'all need to find something else to complain about. Krug has his weaknesses but he's not as bad as 75% of this forum makes him out to be.
Yeah it just doesn’t make sense to waive/try to force a trade involving Krug right now IMO. Even with his limitations (to put it kindly), I truly believe Krug is still one of the 6 best dmen on the roster currently. Plus we are so close to the full NTC ending…probably best to just wait it out at this point.

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
Without a doubt, NOBODY else wanted him. Was this the only way Army could add "affordable" size and grit to The Blues' back end? The Blues have NO chance to win The Stanley Cup, or make a long run in The Playoffs this season, in any case. So why bring in a non-"team player", who is slow as a swimming through a peat bog, and as old as Methuselah (in hockey-playing terms), who will help make a bad atmosphere for The Blues' younger players to develop, and also leave the team less playing time available for them, just hoping to barely sneak into the last Wild Card spot?????
I seriously doubt Suter had no other options. He’s old and slower no doubt about it, not the player he was even a few years ago, but Suter is not nearly as bad on the ice as you and other folks on this thread are saying. Off the ice, lotta rumors and some quotes from former teammates…honestly I’m not sure what to make of all that stuff but I trust the org to have done their due diligence.

Is this a move to try to barely sneak into the last wild card spot or is it a move to be able to trade vet dman w/ a cap hit below league minimum at the TDL? Time will tell :dunno:

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
The Blues are going to be very sensitive to making sure the locker room environment is a positive place for the younger players coming up. Suter's contract is structured in such a way that we can dump him at the first sign of any trouble.

The move likely makes our D-unit better and offers more roster flexibility. I refuse to believe that Suter won't be an upgrade over Marco Scandella/Scott Perunovich/Robert Bortuzzo.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I seriously doubt Suter had no other options. He’s old and slower no doubt about it, not the player he was even a few years ago, but Suter is not nearly as bad on the ice as you and other folks on this thread are saying. Off the ice, lotta rumors and some quotes from former teammates…honestly I’m not sure what to make of all that stuff but I trust the org to have done their due diligence.

Is this a move to try to barely sneak into the last wild card spot or is it a move to be able to trade vet dman w/ a cap hit below league minimum at the TDL? Time will tell :dunno:
I agree that it is a move to add a large, veteran Dman that can add low-cost, experienced defensive skill to fill the void that would result from trading off one of their current, bad contract, older, Dmen with ever decreasing on-ice effectiveness level, which they hope can shore up their defence enough to compete for a Wild Card position.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I don't think the Suter signing will amount to much, but I can't really understand getting worked up over it. Its easy to bury him in the minors (if he'll even report) if he isn't contributing. There is almost no risk here.

Reactions: stlwahoo

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
The issue is that his stint here is the tale of two Krugs.

2020/21 and 2021/22: 75 points in 115 games while going +34. He had a PPP/60 of 5.92 (10th among D men with 50+ PP minutes) and was tied for 50th in even strength points.

2022/23 and 2023/24: 71 points in 140 games while going -57. He had a PPP/60 of 4.05 (57th among D men with 50+ PP minutes) and tied for 65th in even strength points.

FWIW, you are off on his +/-. He's -23 in his stint as a Blue, not +23. I'm guessing that was a typo, but it paints a pretty different picture.

In a league where scoring has noticeably increased, his scoring has dipped across the board. But by far the biggest issue is the defending. He allowed 2.42 and 2.32 goals against per 60 at 5 on 5 in his first 2 years here. Those jumped to 3.126and 2.83 in the most recent 2 years. He's declined by a noticeable margin on both sides throughout his 4 year stint here.

No one is suggesting waiving or buying out the Krug from 2020/21 or 2021/22. But that isn't the player we've seen the last 2 years.
I dont disagree with this at all, however the guy still has value, and yes someone posted that he should be waived riding a bus in the AHL, which is ridiculous.

Safe to assume they'll start him off with Faulk, which makes sense. Another big factor is having him for the PK.
Faulk and Leddy where pretty solid last year. I can see Suter and CP being paired together.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I dont disagree with this at all, however the guy still has value, and yes someone posted that he should be waived riding a bus in the AHL, which is ridiculous.

Faulk and Leddy where pretty solid last year. I can see Suter and CP being paired together.
Faulk and Leddy had 39 minutes together during 5v5. Maybe you are talking about Faulk and Perunovich, which was a decent enough pair down the stretch.

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
I agree that it is a move to add a large, veteran Dman that can add low-cost, experienced defensive skill to fill the void that would result from trading off one of their current, bad contract, older, Dmen with ever decreasing on-ice effectiveness level, which they hope can shore up their defence enough to compete for a Wild Card position.
Would be awesome if we could do the bolded, but it’s probably too late in the offseason and too close to their full NTC’s becoming partial NTC’s next offseason.

I think we’ll probably see a lot of Suter on our 2nd pairing w/ Faulk or Kessel, and I think that could be a pretty good pairing TBH. I’m hoping he’s effective enough to get us a good pick at the TDL, but not so effective that we choose to keep him as an “own rental” on a ill fated playoff run.

Reactions: Majorityof1

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Makes the top four better, drops Krug to the third pair. All good.

Best case the Blues sneak into the playoffs. It's still all about the "retool" which is fine by me.

Just buying time while the kids grow up, put a competitive product on the ice.

Reactions: Zezel’s Pretzels

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
Makes the top four better, drops Krug to the third pair. All good.

Best case the Blues sneak into the playoffs. It's still all about the "retool" which is fine by me.

Just buying time while the kids grow up, put a competitive product on the ice.

I hope that's an awkward attempt at a joke.

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
Soooo

Leddy-Parayko
Suter-Faulk
POJ/Peru-Kessel?
Yep, pretty much. I could see Kessel getting a look with Suter on the 2nd pairing, but assuming he’s healthy and playing better than last season it’ll probably be Faulk there.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
No knock on Krug, but he's not the same guy he was in Boston.
With him out of the mix, I think the D will be better this year.
And I wouldn't be surprised if Suter ends up in the starting 6.
He's still got game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad