Transfer: Summer Transfer Rumors and Discussion Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I feel these two sentences are contradicting each other. Maybe I am misreading them.
Valuation difference is essentially money, yes? But money doesnt matter to City, yes? Confused, no?
I don’t think it’s contradictory. Basically you wouldn’t pay a Ferrari price for a Honda. City can buy whoever they want, but they show good discipline by sticking to their valuations. They didn’t think Cucurella was a 40m player, let alone a 50m player. If they thought he was worth it, he would be in Manchester right now. This fine and not a bad thing.

I’m saying that 10m for Gomez is not cost prohibitive. I’m also saying if he doesn’t work out, it won’t hurt them from spending 30m (for example because this I believe was their bid for Cucurella could be wrong) to upgrade Gomez later. Many other teams in the PL don’t have his luxury. They HAVE the money. They don’t have to spend it if they dont think a guy is worth it.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Because he mortgaged future financial stake in the assets. It's not necessarily a good thing. Could end up looking bad. We don't know yet. What other clubs did this?
I agree with the first half, but debt isn't necessarily a problem to a club like Barcelona. The real problem is how Laporta is treating our players. And Real Madrid is the answer to your second question.

Isn't the plan to play Cancelo there though? And while I wouldn't say Gomez is better than Cucurella, Gomez can deliver a helluva ball.

IDK, If I were Pep I'd like to go into the season with other choices at left back than a converted right back and a converted striker.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013

From a pure footballing perspective, he is still decent and his game has never lied on his face. You also did not really pay anything for him.

Now, obviously there is more to him than just the football and I don’t know anyone on this board or that I know of in real life that liked him or was he been remotely OK with him being on the team because of his history.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
No. Leipzig and Salzburg are more like siblings or cousins, related to one another through a common relative but separate entities; rather than two arms of the same entity. They have separate finances that they are separately responsible for. That's why Leipzig can't just take whomever they want from Salzburg and why they have to pay up when they do get a player from Salzburg.
Yup, else Adeyemi would be in Leipzig currently instead of Dortmund.

Reactions: cgf

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
United supposedly debating a bid for Gakpo. At least there switching up the strategy from targeting Dutch related targets. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Gecklund

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
No. Leipzig and Salzburg are more like siblings or cousins, related to one another through a common relative but separate entities; rather than two arms of the same entity. They have separate finances that they are separately responsible for. That's why Leipzig can't just take whomever they want from Salzburg and why they have to pay up when they do get a player from Salzburg.

They could, but they don’t. UEFA doesn’t enforce FFP.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I would make some small signings. Maybe spend 10-15M total on transfers at most. Nothing expensive, whether its free transfers with big wages or transfer fees. Try to reduce the wage bill as much as possible, but you also have to treat players with respect. Your club handed out those contracts. You can't force them to leave, if they don't want. You can make them play with the reserves or try to embarrass them, but if they don't want to leave, nothing you can do about that.

I would not have signed Lewandowski, Kessie, Kounde, Dembele, Raphinha, or Christinsen. Worse case scenario, you are Arsenal level for 3-4 years, while you regain some financial stability, and you build back your squad like Arsenal has. La Liga is not competitive enough after the top 3 that Barcelona would fall too far. It's possible they could've missed the Champions League once or twice with that strategy, but in the end they'd probably make it, and build through a sustainable strategy.

You realize now that Barcelona is on the hook in the future for what they've done this summer. Even if the club becomes one of the best in the best teams in the world again the next few years, we can't be sure that financially it won't be a disaster in five years.

”Like” for the effort and coming to the table with a suggested solution.

I was closer to your line of thinking to a degree as we came out of last season and into the Summer window. I think the club could have spent less as well. I don’t think Kounde was necessary, though I get it in that if you want him the time was now or he’d have been unobtainable next Summer. Additionally, a lot of CBs moving this Summer and not a lot of great options available anymore (I really like Todibo, but not sure the club would ever bring him back based on a rumored locker room issue). I also wouldn’t sign Alonso considering we still have Alba, Abde has looked good in preseason and I think we could/should trust La Masia a bit more. Raphinha is also a bit of luxury, but thus far he looks like a good signing. After that I understand Lewandowski, Dembele, Christiansen, Torre and Kessie. In fact, I‘m not sure why you wouldn’t consider Dembele, Christiansen and Kessie based on your argument. No transfer fees involved and all are on pretty reasonable wages and within the club’s new wage structure. I would say they’re the exact signings we should be making based on your argument.

Personally though I’m now more in alignment with the work the club has done. I think Xavi is being accommodated a bit much with two top players in each position, but then I think we’re also seeing the benefits with the preseason performances. Still we have A LOT of midfielders and too many CBs. Anyway, I‘ve come more to aligning with the work the board has done because there should be additional benefits on top of having a notably stronger team. If the team performs to reasonable expectations they should be more successful on the pitch which should lead to more revenue on a number of fronts. Matchday revenue, television revenue, marketing revenue, etc should all get a boost. Of course this isn’t a given, but thus far things look good.

I also think that you’re not understanding that regardless of the signings the club would have had to have activated some of the economic levers anyway. This isn’t just about covering your signings and indeed the money isn’t even all going there.

With regards to selling players, again, no one is being forced nor can they be forced. That said I think it’s fair game to tell them they’re not in the first team plans and that they won‘t be training with the team/going on tour. I think the club could have done a better job selling players, but it’s hard when some of them refuse to go.

Even if the strategy employed by the current board doesn’t work on the pitch, they’ll still be generating revenue. Worse case scenario would probably be they have to make signings on the level of say an Arsenal as you say, but I don’t think that‘ll happen.

IDK, If I were Pep I'd like to go into the season with other choices at left back than a converted right back and a converted striker.

I don’t disagree, I just assumed that was the plan, but I haven’t followed them that closely.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
—Seeing some rumors that Bernardo Silva fee is agreed at 50-55 million. He’ll apparently take a notable pay cut too in order to make it happen and should thus be within the new wage structure. All of that said this is the definition of a luxury signing considering the players we have and if De Jong stays.
—Nico is headed to Valencia. I just hope he starts 30+ league matches is a regular in midfield for them.
—Pique is reportedly set to agree an entirely new deal and taking a big pay cut and even agreeing to ditch his bonus. Busquets, Ter Stegen and Pjanic all rumored to agree to reduce their wages.
—Alonso on hold, but will probably go through. If it does Balde will likely go out on loan.
—Depay looking likely to leave and last I read the club was willing to let him go for free.
—Umtiti rumored to be headed for the exit door as well.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Last edited:
Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Adeyemi, Haaland, Mane, Keita, Leipzig bid for all of them but lost out.
I don't remember about Mane and Keita, but Adeyemi and Haaland didn't want to play for Leipzig. It wasn't about a bid why those players didn't play for Leipzig.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
1660127878370.png

my face after frenkie comes and destroys our wage structure and fails to provide any extra goal output because at the end of the day we are short on reliable forwards

Reactions: Blender

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Some confirmed Belgian transfers;

- Matias Galarza from Argentinos to Genk for €6M. 20 year old CM
- Rasmus Carstensen from Silkeborg to Genk for €3M. 21 year old RB
- Aly Samatta loaned to Genk from Fenerbahçe
- Hyunseok Hong from LASK to AA Gent, 23 year old CM from South Korea
- Roman Bezus from AA Gent to Omonia Nicosia

Meanwhile Club Brugge had a €15M bid for Sander Berge rejected. This would already be a Belgian transfer record but seems it's not yet enough.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
What was this about sources ?
Don’t see why it’s not fair game to talk about as long as the players remain unregistered.

Besides everyone else is doing it, figured why not. Also seems interesting as it would be kind of unprecedented. Crazy that this is even (possibly) a thing. Has this even happened before?

People will stop talking about Barca being unable to register their players when they can register their players.

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
What was this about sources ?

Anyway yawns

I saw that, I am reading that as no indication that there will be problems with registering the players. Not that the players don’t have an option to leave if not registered; but I could be reading that wrong.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Don’t see why it’s not fair game to talk about as long as the players remain unregistered.

Besides everyone else is doing it, figured why not. Also seems interesting as it would be kind of unprecedented. Crazy that this is even (possibly) a thing.

People will stop talking about Barca being unable to register their players when they can register their players.
I dont want you to unsettle my players so case closed...

Jokes aside you're more than welcome to speculate and talk about it but you jump up and down about sources only to do this. I thought this was a thread about actual transfers not a figment of someones imagination? If you get past the sensational headline ( daily EPL dunk on barca) they even say there's no indication that it would happen. So tomorrow I suggest we speculate how Haaland is coming to the camp nou... oh wait that would be pointless.

Reactions: Gecklund

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I dont want you to unsettle my players so case closed...

Jokes aside you're more than welcome to speculate and talk about it but you jump up and down about sources only to do this. I thought this was a thread about actual transfers not a figment of someones imagination? If you get past the sensational headline ( daily EPL dunk on barca) they even say there's no indication that it would happen. So tomorrow I suggest we speculate how Haaland is coming to the camp nou... oh wait that would be pointless.
Haaland is registered. Barca’s new signings are not registered. There is a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad