Sudbury Wolves 2024 - 25 Season Thread, Part I

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Team needs major scoring up front maybe the coaches can relate this to the GM. Have to work something out soon with Musty especially with the road games ahead

Reactions: LDN

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Goaltending took us out of this one early. Wolves outshot Ottawa by a considerable margin in the first, no way they should have been ahead. All shots except maybe the first goal were stoppable and I didn’t think Ottawa did anything special. Really hoping goaltending trouble was mostly behind us but to me it remains a significant question mark question mark and I’m not sure either goalie can be consistent enough to carry the load. Might want to look at bringing one in via trade. Yes the team didn’t play that well after the first but you need some saves early.
Need those Euros that are ‘supposed’ to be coming and could really use a return for Musty. Hoping they could bank a few points as they could end up under .500 with a tough road trip next weekend. Anyone notice how often we play Barrie before the holidays? They will be one of the toughest outs in the conference going forward.

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Team needs major scoring up front maybe the coaches can relate this to the GM. Have to work something out soon with Musty especially with the road games ahead
If they can average at least three goals a game I don’t see how they’ll be that offensively challenged. They’re at 2.8. It’s more like they can’t score their way out of subpar goaltending as easily this year.

agillarda

Jan 3, 2024
Goaltending took us out of this one early. Wolves outshot Ottawa by a considerable margin in the first, no way they should have been ahead. All shots except maybe the first goal were stoppable and I didn’t think Ottawa did anything special. Really hoping goaltending trouble was mostly behind us but to me it remains a significant question mark question mark and I’m not sure either goalie can be consistent enough to carry the load. Might want to look at bringing one in via trade. Yes the team didn’t play that well after the first but you need some saves early.
Need those Euros that are ‘supposed’ to be coming and could really use a return for Musty. Hoping they could bank a few points as they could end up under .500 with a tough road trip next weekend. Anyone notice how often we play Barrie before the holidays? They will be one of the toughest outs in the conference going forward.
Goaltending was always going to be questionable this season, Kwachuck has never taken the job to the point, we brought in Vandenburg while Vondras was at the WJCs. Gaulton missed most of his first year in Espanola due to injury and was 50/50 here and espanola early last year. Marshall is in his first year in the OHL.

If you want to grab one of the bottom 4 playoff spots that bad then yeah we should spend assets on a goalie. Only way I am making a trade for a goalie is if it's a 07 or 08 for one of our 3 to a contender. Kwachuck likely isn't back next year unless we are using an OA spot. That leaves goaltending as Marshall, Gaulton and maybe Mateo if he reports next season.

Personally I'm look at building the team for 26-27 as I don't see any of the heavy hitters in the east dropping off next season. Hopefully by Friday we will have some answers for Musty and Imports. It was suggested in Erie board that one of the hold ups with Molnar is supposedly visa issues.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Goaltending was always going to be questionable this season, Kwachuck has never taken the job to the point, we brought in Vandenburg while Vondras was at the WJCs. Gaulton missed most of his first year in Espanola due to injury and was 50/50 here and espanola early last year. Marshall is in his first year in the OHL.

If you want to grab one of the bottom 4 playoff spots that bad then yeah we should spend assets on a goalie. Only way I am making a trade for a goalie is if it's a 07 or 08 for one of our 3 to a contender. Kwachuck likely isn't back next year unless we are using an OA spot. That leaves goaltending as Marshall, Gaulton and maybe Mateo if he reports next season.

Personally I'm look at building the team for 26-27 as I don't see any of the heavy hitters in the east dropping off next season. Hopefully by Friday we will have some answers for Musty and Imports. It was suggested in Erie board that one of the hold ups with Molnar is supposedly visa issues.
Now that would make sense regarding Molnar. As far as the playoffs, to me they offer a crucial learning experience so every effort short of mortgaging the future should be exercised in helping secure their chances.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
looking at our draft picks 2024 Blonda, Dean and Doucet, I find a little concerning. Blonda out of three looks the most promising. To me Dean and Doucet work hard but I don't see much an upside on both of them, being high draft picks you would think they would create more. Both have 11 games with zero points. Blonda as 1 point. I thought the one game I saw Mason Walker he looked more skilled than Dean and Doucet, created a few shots for himself.

You have to question the scouting staff at this point on these picks. I think Dean Doucet would benefit playing Junior B. If we are getting some veteran help from a Musty trade and Imports, should see these kids play down.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lycanthrope

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013

Molnar played exhibition games with Erie in Canada this year and was at training camp in Erie. Seems odd that a visa issue would arise later.

agillarda

Jan 3, 2024
Molnar played exhibition games with Erie in Canada this year and was at training camp in Erie. Seems odd that a visa issue would arise later.
That's why I said it was suggested that it is an issue but visas can be temporary and maybe it ended after preseason.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Tough loss against Ottawa. I got too cocky.

We knew the Goalies would be our Achilles heel this year and have been extremely fortunate that they've been playing so well. Hopefully, they get back to form but I can see why their confidence was shot early in this one.
Our goalies have done an adequate job. Tough one for Marshall yesterday but he also didn't have a team in front of him that played the right way yesterday. Too many penalties, slow start again, losing face-offs and not getting in front of shooters.

The Wolves yesterday are a team who they are. Going to win some games through hard work for the full 60 and then games where the skill level isn't there to come back from early deficits. Being down 3-0 early you could just tell in the players body language that it was out of reach and there was some who gave up. Most of the vets just didn't play well yesterday end of story.

WJ

Any more word on Musty?
Not sure if it means anything but our GM was MIA all weekend. Scouting OHL games or just scouting draft eligible players for the 2025 draft.

Anyone see him at the London games???

WJ

agillarda

Jan 3, 2024
Any more word on Musty?
Only thing I can say is on Friday, Dario was asked by a fan in the row infront of me about Musty and he said he wasn't accepting pennies for him and that he had spoke to musty's agent and told him if Musty had of been in Sudbury on Friday he would have had him in the line-up that night

Last edited:

Oggie Ogoltorp

Oct 4, 2024
New coach won't want a firesale. Musty can bring in players immediately that will help now and picks down the road. This can be a playoff team that could even win a round but IMO your shot was last year. Wolves were stacked with maybe the best 1st line in the O. With a strong east this year I would sell though. McCoy would bring in a big haul at deadline. DeAngelis and Delic can get you a good young players/Picks/Prospects as well. With some good young players you already have this team could easily be a strong club next season if they decide to go down that road. You sell those guys you likely still make the playoffs as Petes are early in build and I can see both Ottawa and Kingston selling too. Get to the playoffs and you never know what can happen but no sense competing with Oshawa, Brampton, and Barrie this year and that's just your Division.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Our goalies have done an adequate job. Tough one for Marshall yesterday but he also didn't have a team in front of him that played the right way yesterday. Too many penalties, slow start again, losing face-offs and not getting in front of shooters.

The Wolves yesterday are a team who they are. Going to win some games through hard work for the full 60 and then games where the skill level isn't there to come back from early deficits. Being down 3-0 early you could just tell in the players body language that it was out of reach and there was some who gave up. Most of the vets just didn't play well yesterday end of story.

WJ

Not sure if it means anything but our GM was MIA all weekend. Scouting OHL games or just scouting draft eligible players for the 2025 draft.

Anyone see him at the London games???

WJ
He was in the gondola Sunday with Brent who had to listen to his foolishness all game.🥱

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad