Sudbury Wolves 2024 - 25 Season Thread, Part I

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Molnar to the wolves? Would likely come cheap as he’s out in Erie as their 3rd import

Last edited:

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Molnar to the wolves? Would likely come cheap as he’s out in Erie as their 3rd OA

it's been rumoured before, be decent pick up, more depth on offence which is needed.

Congrats in getting out of the HFBoards pen.

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
To me, Coaching and style of play will place the Wolfers no lower than 5. Having draft capital and open import spots could push us to 4, but in a tough East that would be a big accomplishment. Don’t underestimate or sleep on the Pack… IMO
For me not surprisingly I think a lot hinges on goaltending again this year. That can’t continue to be a major weakness.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
To me, Coaching and style of play will place the Wolfers no lower than 5. Having draft capital and open import spots could push us to 4, but in a tough East that would be a big accomplishment. Don’t underestimate or sleep on the Pack… IMO
Would you rather they spend assets and finish 4th over trade Musty+McCoy for futures and finish 6th/7th?

agillarda

Jan 3, 2024
Would you rather they spend assets and finish 4th over trade Musty+McCoy for futures and finish 6th/7th?
Personally for me, knowing you are looking at a deep top 4 in the east it makes more sense to go for futures.

If the rumors are true that Oshawa is getting Barlow there may be a market in Brampton and Brantford looking to boost more. Brampton having Rehkopf and Musty would be scary and as much as they gave up for Rehkopf, they got it back in the Leenders deal so lots of picks there plus they still have an OA spot.

We are looking at a top 4 of Oshawa, Brampton, Brantford and Barrie. With the fact goaltending for us will be a toss up it would take a strong effort to catch even Barrie.

Build for the 2027 Mem cup. We may not host but if done right we can challenge the petes for the east.

Reactions: Generalsupdates

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Without making a firm commitment until January; yes, absolutely.
If the deal for Molnar is there to be had, and a #3 type D to be had; I think the wolves should give themselves a chance to be competitive. It is not like the wolves need to be acquiring picks at this time.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Personally for me, knowing you are looking at a deep top 4 in the east it makes more sense to go for futures.

If the rumors are true that Oshawa is getting Barlow there may be a market in Brampton and Brantford looking to boost more. Brampton having Rehkopf and Musty would be scary and as much as they gave up for Rehkopf, they got it back in the Leenders deal so lots of picks there plus they still have an OA spot.

We are looking at a top 4 of Oshawa, Brampton, Brantford and Barrie. With the fact goaltending for us will be a toss up it would take a strong effort to catch even Barrie.

Build for the 2027 Mem cup. We may not host but if done right we can challenge the petes for the east.

The wolves next best chance is 2027-28 imo. That is if Jackson and Blonda are not moved and develop.
The wolves would not really be in a better position in ‘27 than they are now if selling this season. Guelph and Kitchener should be loaded that year; and Flint, Sarnia, Niagara, and Peterborough could be as well.

agillarda

Jan 3, 2024
The wolves next best chance is 2027-28 imo. That is if Jackson and Blonda are not moved and develop.
The wolves would not really be in a better position in ‘27 than they are now if selling this season. Guelph and Kitchener should be loaded that year; and Flint, Sarnia, Niagara, and Peterborough could be as well.
And those 2 are only moved this season if we are buying. Last year was our go for it year.

We already have a decent stock pile of picks, however the majority of our 2nd rounders are in 27, we have 2x 2nds this draft coming and no 2nds in 26 currently in 27 we have 3x 2nds and 3x 3rds

The way it looks to me you sell of Musty, McCoy and DeAngelis and get picks to stock pile for the next 2 years, then potentially sell off villy and Walton next season to add more 26 and 27 picks then in 26/27 year you likely have 5-6x 2nds in each of the 27 and 28 drafts to help bolster the team.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
And those 2 are only moved this season if we are buying. Last year was our go for it year.

We already have a decent stock pile of picks, however the majority of our 2nd rounders are in 27, we have 2x 2nds this draft coming and no 2nds in 26 currently in 27 we have 3x 2nds and 3x 3rds

The way it looks to me you sell of Musty, McCoy and DeAngelis and get picks to stock pile for the next 2 years, then potentially sell off villy and Walton next season to add more 26 and 27 picks then in 26/27 year you likely have 5-6x 2nds in each of the 27 and 28 drafts to help bolster the team.

I haven’t seen many instances where selling in consecutive seasons has more benefit than just selling hard at one trade deadline. I really haven’t seen many instances that teams with competitive rosters sell either. The youngsters on teams with good vets just seem to develop better.

Barrie and Brampton seemingly all-in a year ahead of schedule does make conntention for the wolves a lot tougher.
But, this is really the year for the wolves to at least take a shot at it. The team could always sell at the deadline if not in contention. The wolves have 20(2,3,4) picks; three OAs selected in rounds 1 & 2; two ‘05-1sts with one being 1st overall; and an ‘06 picked 3rd overall. Teams are willing to sell and endure a period of losing to acquire what the wolves have now.

Last edited:

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
What happens from now until January will determine our course of action. We can’t afford to let #27 walk next season for nothing. We also need to do right and send McCoy and DeAngelis to contenders and deep the returns.

agillarda

Jan 3, 2024
I haven’t seen many instances where selling in consecutive seasons has more benefit than just selling hard at one trade deadline. I really haven’t seen many instances that teams with competitive rosters sell either. The youngsters on teams with good vets just seem to develop better.

Barrie and Brampton seemingly all-in a year ahead of schedule does make conntention for the wolves a lot tougher.
But, this is really the year for the wolves to at least take a shot at it. The team could always sell at the deadline if not in contention. The wolves have 20(2,3,4) picks; three OAs selected in rounds 1 & 2; two ‘05-1sts with one being 1st overall; and an ‘06 picked 3rd overall. Teams are willing to sell and endure a period of losing to acquire what the wolves have now.
Yes we have 20 picks in the the next 4 years, however; the majority of the is in 3 years. We have 4 this draft and 3 next draft (no 2nds in that draft) if you buy this season you aren't going to have much left in 3 years from now at the current prices of 4 of those picks per player.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Yes we have 20 picks in the the next 4 years, however; the majority of the is in 3 years. We have 4 this draft and 3 next draft (no 2nds in that draft) if you buy this season you aren't going to have much left in 3 years from now at the current prices of 4 of those picks per player.

Teams acquire 20(2,3,4) picks over four years to add complimentary players to competitive teams. The wolves can recoup 10(2,3) picks at the ‘26 deadline just by moving Villeneuve and Pharrand; as you witnessed this past off-season, picks are easy to come by.

agillarda

Jan 3, 2024
Unless Pharand has a break out season I don't see him bringing in 4 picks. Villy maybe can get you some. Neither of them have had break out years. Musty is a consistent scorer and was top 15 in the league. If you aren't able to compete he's the guy that gets you the big haul to Jumpstart the build. Unless we want to build like North Bay will be. They let all their big guys walk.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Unless Pharand has a break out season I don't see him bringing in 4 picks. Villy maybe can get you some. Neither of them have had break out years. Musty is a consistent scorer and was top 15 in the league. If you aren't able to compete he's the guy that gets you the big haul to Jumpstart the build. Unless we want to build like North Bay will be. They let all their big guys walk.

Villeneuve is a legit #2 at just 18. Watch Pharrand and Coughlan have the normal spike in production by 19 yr olds. It won’t just be point production that makes the wolves tough to beat, it will be point production by 1200 lbs in the top six.

The wolves should absolutely want to be in three consecutive conference finals, one win away from a final twice; like NB.

Last edited:
Reactions: Muskyslayer

agillarda

Jan 3, 2024
Villeneuve is a legit #2 at just 18. Watch Pharrand and Coughlan have the normal spike in production by 19 yr olds.
Don't get me wrong they all can potentially do it for sure. To get what your asking for those 2 they will need to take that step.

My point is you are guarentted 5-6 picks and players for Musty to kick start the rebuild allowing us to potentially come out a year ahead of time.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Don't get me wrong they all can potentially do it for sure. To get what your asking for those 2 they will need to take that step.

My point is you are guarentted 5-6 picks and players for Musty to kick start the rebuild allowing us to potentially come out a year ahead of time.

Dude, the last thing I will pay to attend is a version of the current Petes. It is time to sell when there is no chance of winning imo.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
You believe we will be able to get through Brampton, Oshawa, Barrie and Brantford?

If they wolves can be the team to acquire Andonovski or Gibson and another good two-way forward; yeah, I think the wolves can have a decent chance to get by Brampton and Oshawa.
Barrie, I’m not so sure. That team has the best defence, goaltending, big forwards combination in the league; and, the colts can improve their OA forwards if they choose.

But, the wolves can push assets forward another 50 years and not be the prohibitive favourite.

The wolves can make an effort to be a contender, and still sell at the deadline if things are not working out. Throw in the towel right now with a 19 yr old first overall pick and an 18 yr old third overall pick?!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad