Sudbury Wolves 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I would think he would need to serve the games once his return from NHL camp. Clock starts upon his return. That's my take.

If I recall correctly, it starts game 1 regardless if player is at a pro camp, team suspension, injured, mental/bereavement leave, …

Edit: I should have read all the posts before posting effectively the same thing

agillarda

Jan 3, 2024
Why were the Wolves not in on Kaeden Johnston for a 4th round pick.
Not sure where you would put him, he's an 05 so would be an OA candidate next year and I believe we already have 10 of those. Then he his career high in points is 10 in 40 games from last season averaged out that would be maybe 20 over a full season and by the looks of it not very physical pr atleast not many penalties.

Wouldn't be surprised if the rookies can provide that and not cost us a 4th rounder at the start of a rebuild.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
I hope they do not wait to long if goaltending does not pan out as expected. By the looks of the schedule does not look to kind at the beginning with all the road games.

cobra9850

Apr 23, 2014
Not sure where you would put him, he's an 05 so would be an OA candidate next year and I believe we already have 10 of those. Then he his career high in points is 10 in 40 games from last season averaged out that would be maybe 20 over a full season and by the looks of it not very physical pr atleast not many penalties.

Wouldn't be surprised if the rookies can provide that and not cost us a 4th rounder at the start of a rebuild.
With an increased top 6 role he can be a point per game producer and teams can definitely use that production.Our overager choices won't be as clear cut next year and after a breakout year he could have definitely been in the mix.

agillarda

Jan 3, 2024
With an increased top 6 role he can be a point per game producer and teams can definitely use that production.Our overager choices won't be as clear cut next year and after a breakout year he could have definitely been in the mix.
Musty, Villy, Delic, Walton, Pharand and Chitironi are likely already in the top 6, if not you already have coughlan that can provide the same potential production and not cost anything.

As for OAs for next year likely Pharand, Coughlan and Kwachuck if he proves himself.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
Musty, Villy, Delic, Walton, Pharand and Chitironi are likely already in the top 6, if not you already have coughlan that can provide the same potential production and not cost anything.

As for OAs for next year likely Pharand, Coughlan and Kwachuck if he proves himself.
I would have gladly spent a fourth rounder for Johnston to find out if he’s a point per game player. Might also be able to push an 08 player to junior A and more playing time which would be a win win. Molnar from Erie might cost the same price

agillarda

Jan 3, 2024
I would have gladly spent a fourth rounder for Johnston to find out if he’s a point per game player. Might also be able to push an 08 player to junior A and more playing time which would be a win win. Molnar from Erie might cost the same price
If Molnar cost a 4th with 71 points in 100 games, 52 points in 66 last year how is 11 points in 48 games equal.

Also Coughlan has had a just as good preseason as Johnston. I could see bringing in Johnston having a similar effect as when we brought in Vandenburg last season. Bringing in a player to fill a position that we already have someone to fill can have a negative effect. Ironic thing is we let Vandenburg (2x3rds) walk to keep what we already had in Chucky. Sure Johnston can go on and have an amazing and I could be wrong.

As it stands today Johnston had 5 goals and 3 assists in preseason to Coughlans 4 goals and 5 assists. To me if Coughlan can fill that roll a 4th for Johnston as an equal player would be a waste of an asset to me when we are entering a rebuild year.

Reactions: frontsfan67

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
If Molnar cost a 4th with 71 points in 100 games, 52 points in 66 last year how is 11 points in 48 games equal.

Also Coughlan has had a just as good preseason as Johnston. I could see bringing in Johnston having a similar effect as when we brought in Vandenburg last season. Bringing in a player to fill a position that we already have someone to fill can have a negative effect. Ironic thing is we let Vandenburg (2x3rds) walk to keep what we already had in Chucky. Sure Johnston can go on and have an amazing and I could be wrong.

As it stands today Johnston had 5 goals and 3 assists in preseason to Coughlans 4 goals and 5 assists. To me if Coughlan can fill that roll a 4th for Johnston as an equal player would be a waste of an asset to me when we are entering a rebuild year.

I’m not so sure it will be much of a rebuilding year. Counting the conditional picks for Hague, the wolves have as many or more picks than any team in the league.

For that 4th pick, the wolves could probably bring ‘06 Newton home. I’d like Molnar at a reasonable price too.

agillarda

Jan 3, 2024
I’m not so sure it will be much of a rebuilding year. Counting the conditional picks for Hague, the wolves have as many or more picks than any team in the league.

For that 4th pick, the wolves could probably bring ‘06 Newton home. I’d like Molnar at a reasonable price too.
I have been of the mind to bring Newton home all of season, Molnar would be nice too. My thing is the goaltending will it be there. Also losing Goyette and Dvorski(doubtful he comes back) it would make the most sense to off load Musty, McCoy, Deangelis and at the right price Villy or Walton.

We have one of the bigger draft pick cupboards for sure but if not rebuilding at the very least reset. I'd rather a rebuild aiming to go for it in 2027 and challenge the petes on a mem cup bid.

Reactions: WolvesFan

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I have been of the mind to bring Newton home all of season, Molnar would be nice too. My thing is the goaltending will it be there. Also losing Goyette and Dvorski(doubtful he comes back) it would make the most sense to off load Musty, McCoy, Deangelis and at the right price Villy or Walton.

We have one of the bigger draft pick cupboards for sure but if not rebuilding at the very least reset. I'd rather a rebuild aiming to go for it in 2027 and challenge the petes on a mem cup bid.

The goaltending would look better with a commitment to team defence.
It’s too early to throw in the towel with the wolves top six, and all those picks.

In any case, there is no good reason to move ‘06s this season. The team would suck for two years, and rookies be overwhelmed.

agillarda

Jan 3, 2024
The goaltending would look better with a commitment to team defence.
It’s too early to throw in the towel with the wolves top six, and all those picks.

In any case, there is no good reason to move ‘06s this season. The team would suck for two years, and rookies be overwhelmed.
Well the idea would be compete 2026 and get mem cup bid with a deep team and brand new arena

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

quick question, what is more important. bringing in a local kid, or bringing in the best , most talented kid?

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013

You think this is a rebuild but apparently ownership wants a deep playoff run so this is how to give the team the best chance at that

Molnar is a Euro and there aren't as many spots available which means teams usually have to sell at a discount or release them entirely. Thats certainly a better value than Johnston but if Johnston can play and produce it’s still good value. 2 fourths for 2 point a game players I’d do that deal every time, especially if it allows development time in junior A for some of the younger players. It certainly didn’t hurt Jackson or Chitaroni.

Reactions: dirty12

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
You think this is a rebuild but apparently ownership wants a deep playoff run so this is how to give the team the best chance at that

Molnar is a Euro and there aren't as many spots available which means teams usually have to sell at a discount or release them entirely. Thats certainly a better value than Johnston but if Johnston can play and produce it’s still good value. 2 fourths for 2 point a game players I’d do that deal every time, especially if it allows development time in junior A for some of the younger players. It certainly didn’t hurt Jackson or Chitaroni.

it sounds like this is a make or break year, they have to go for it evidently.

agillarda

Jan 3, 2024

I think the smart thing considering Oshawa, Brantford and Brampton have already pushed in you at the very least reset and be ready to go for the 2027 mem cup.

it absolutely wouldn't hurt Dean, or doucet to develope in jr A.

Without Dvorski and Goyette I don't think we can keep pace with the big 3 especially if the rumor of Barlow to Oshawa happens.

With questions in goal and and an iffy defence I see at best a mid season best cause 6th and 1st round lost.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Well the idea would be compete 2026 and get mem cup bid with a deep team and brand new arena

Waay to far out to be building towards 2030 memorial cup: and. Ottawa probably gets first crack at it with their new venue opening by then.

Sell the ‘05s & ‘06s this season to resemble the Petes 2023-24 through 2025-26, no thanks. Without good veteran support, the kids may not develop as well; if at all due to being unnecessarily exposed to higher risk of injury.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad