Sudbury Wolves 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
The GM is the most to blame for his gutless approach at the trade deadline and he gets a free pass, shameful
Gutless approach at trade deadline? Hardly. He went after big names. Gutless approach on last years coaching staff was the problem and he’s been called out by everyone. No free passes here, that part is well deserved

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Just remember there are no trade clauses and you need other team owners and GMs willing to trade…so gutless maybe a little harsh. According to a photo posted on this board not long ago our GM was big game hunting according to the dressing room name tags.
problem is no o e likes working with him. he thinks his guys are twice as good as everyone else.offering an 8th d for a strong OA isn’t gonna work.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
He waited last minute so as it took the pressure off him as the talent pool was deleting. How in God’s name could a GM not recognize the team was going nowhere with that kind of goaltending and not over pay if need be to fix the problem. You get paid the big bucks to fix the problems and he failed miserably. Walton should have been moved when his stock was high as part of a goaltending fix and Vondras should have been let go freeing up an import spot at the deadline

Reactions: Habs0101

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
He waited last minute so as it took the pressure off him as the talent pool was deleting. How in God’s name could a GM not recognize the team was going nowhere with that kind of goaltending and not over pay if need be to fix the problem. You get paid the big bucks to fix the problems and he failed miserably. Walton should have been moved when his stock was high as part of a goaltending fix and Vondras should have been let go freeing up an import spot at the deadline
Logical, but maybe not reasonable. Which import and goalie could be had?

Papineau blew it when drafting Walton over the option of any goalie in the draft

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Gutless approach at trade deadline? Hardly. He went after big names. Gutless approach on last years coaching staff was the problem and he’s been called out by everyone. No free passes here, that part is well deserved
What big names did he get? McCoy is the only one I saw

Logical, but maybe not reasonable. Which import and goalie could be had?

Papineau blew it when drafting Walton over the option of any goalie in the draft
Wolves can't develop goalies, any draft pick spent on a goalie would have been wasted anyways. We did those kids a favor.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
What big names did he get? McCoy is the only one I saw
He went after Beck, Beck only wanted to go to Saginaw or Kitchener. He went after Buchinger and Bowman, Guelph wouldn’t trade. Went after Donovan, he only wanted Saginaw. Didn’t wait until last minute either, this went on for weeks. As far as goalies go, he inquired about Oster and others but when the organizations saw how Sudbury was coached, they decided they could win and bought instead of sold. No top goalie was available and even if Papineau got one, it probably didn’t matter with what was behind the bench

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013

The problem Papineau should have fixed was behind the bench. He knew it was a problem, that’s why he added Berehowsky as a defensive coordinator but it was too late in the season. An average goalie would have been able to do the job with better overall coaching

Last edited:

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
He went after Beck, Beck only wanted to go to Saginaw or Kitchener. He went after Buchinger and Bowman, Guelph wouldn’t trade. Went after Donovan, he only wanted Saginaw. Didn’t wait until last minute either, this went on for weeks. As far as goalies go, he inquired about Oster and others but when the organizations saw how Sudbury was coached, they decided they could win and bought instead of sold. No top goalie was available and even if Papineau got one, it probably didn’t matter with what was behind the benc
I don’t buy that for one second, he went after players but would not trade valued players to get what they needed. He sat on the fence hoping someone was available last minute. The valued players he did move our first rounder and Pronz he got burnt he waited till the very end when he knew goaltending was the biggest issue back in November. Kmac was wild when the goaltending issues were not addressed and I know this for a fact. Both Drake and Kenny along with certain players just shook their heads.

Reactions: djscooter

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
He went after Beck, Beck only wanted to go to Saginaw or Kitchener. He went after Buchinger and Bowman, Guelph wouldn’t trade. Went after Donovan, he only wanted Saginaw. Didn’t wait until last minute either, this went on for weeks. As far as goalies go, he inquired about Oster and others but when the organizations saw how Sudbury was coached, they decided they could win and bought instead of sold. No top goalie was available and even if Papineau got one, it probably didn’t matter with what was behind the bench
Ultimately it was Papineau that traded for Giroux instead of Punnet. That would have saved himself from another one of his big blunders; Protz, plus 2nds and a 3rd for VanVliet.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I don’t buy that for one second, he went after players but would not trade valued players to get what they needed. He sat on the fence hoping someone was available last minute. The valued players he did move our first rounder and Pronz he got burnt he waited till the very end when he knew goaltending was the biggest issue back in November. Kmac was wild when the goaltending issues were not addressed and I know this for a fact. Both Drake and Kenny along with certain players just shook their heads.
In no way defending Papineau here, but was there a goaltender available; and would any goaltender, even DiiVincentis make a difference?

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
I don’t care if Mackenzie wanted a better goalie. With the lack of discipline and just overall terrible play in their own zone, it wouldn’t matter who was in net. The overall team play in their own zone was terrible and never improved until Berehowsky was brought in.
I will agree that the Van Vliet trade was a rushed last minute deal but that doesn’t mean Papineau wasn’t asking about players much earlier because he certainly was
Ultimately it was Papineau that traded for Giroux instead of Punnet. That would have saved himself from another one of his big blunders; Protz, plus 2nds and a 3rd for VanVliet.
I’m not absolving Papineau at all. That was a terrible trade but at least he tried to make trades and didn’t wait until last minute to inquire about big players. Punnett would have helped more than Giroux or Van Vliet but the biggest problem was the coaching staff with no team discipline , whose team defensive play didn’t improve since the beginning of the season and they did nothing about either item. Papineau could have done something about the staff but chose not to

Reactions: Wolf on a Wire

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
I don’t know why KMAC would be wild? He was the guy who wanted Van Vliet and forced the Protz trade. Not sure Bear was here at trade deadline??

I don’t care if Mackenzie wanted a better goalie. With the lack of discipline and just overall terrible play in their own zone, it wouldn’t matter who was in net. The overall team play in their own zone was terrible and never improved until Berehowsky was brought in.
I will agree that the Van Vliet trade was a rushed last minute deal but that doesn’t mean Papineau wasn’t asking about players much earlier because he certainly was

I’m not absolving Papineau at all. That was a terrible trade but at least he tried to make trades and didn’t wait until last minute to inquire about big players. Punnett would have helped more than Giroux or Van Vliet but the biggest problem was the coaching staff with no team discipline , whose team defensive play didn’t improve since the beginning of the season and they did nothing about either item. Papineau could have done something about the staff but chose not to
The inmates were running the prison.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I don’t know why KMAC would be wild? He was the guy who wanted Van Vliet and forced the Protz trade. Not sure Bear was here at trade deadline??

Really, KMAC forced the VanVliet trade? More likely VanVliet was the fall-back option because Papineau was passing on the opportunity to acquire Punnet in order to bring in Giroux?

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
Really, KMAC forced the VanVliet trade? More likely VanVliet was the fall-back option because Papineau was passing on the opportunity to acquire Punnet in order to bring in Giroux?
Mackenzie asked for Van Vliet, wanted a shutdown guy and was no fan of Protz. He didn’t force it but he wanted Van Vliet.

Berehowsky was not there until March and judging from the amount of extended shifts from certain players and the attitudes on the bench this is likely true. A proper coaching staff would have shut this down and this is on Papineau.

Reactions: Wolf on a Wire

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
We are on to a new season so let’s just hope things change and our GM does what a GM is desiccated to do and leave the coaching to the coaches.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
I mean the policy is ok if you're strictly looking to develop young talent for other leagues, but in the end I suppose the NOJHL is content in falling further behind other Jr. A leagues across Canada.

I think league Champs the Sudbury Cubs only have 2 regular 16 year olds on this year's roster. Now it's mandatory to add 2 more and they can't be scratched and need to play a certain amount of ice time?

If you're good enough, you should play, if you're not, you sit.

Alot of NOJ talent leaves for the OJHL, which in turn seems to be losing top end players to the BCHL.

Weird times.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
I mean the policy is ok if you're strictly looking to develop young talent for other leagues, but in the end I suppose the NOJHL is content in falling further behind other Jr. A leagues across Canada.

I think league Champs the Sudbury Cubs only have 2 regular 16 year olds on this year's roster. Now it's mandatory to add 2 more and they can't be scratched and need to play a certain amount of ice time?

If you're good enough, you should play, if you're not, you sit.

Alot of NOJ talent leaves for the OJHL, which in turn seems to be losing top end players to the BCHL.

Weird times.
Sorry in advance if I'm misreading something. But where are you getting a minimum of 4 16 year olds from? I don't see any minimum number of players, just seems like these rules assure if you roster a 16 year old, you actually play them. But once again, I may have missed something completely.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Sorry in advance if I'm misreading something. But where are you getting a minimum of 4 16 year olds from? I don't see any minimum number of players, just seems like these rules assure if you roster a 16 year old, you actually play them. But once again, I may have missed something completely.
No need to apologise, reading it again I obviously read it wrong. No idea where I got that number from.

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
August is quickly approaching, what needs to be done to round out this team? We still have 3 too many OAs. Thoughts on goaltending? Year of the Chucky? BUG? Imports? Time to wake this board up.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
August is quickly approaching, what needs to be done to round out this team? We still have 3 too many OAs. Thoughts on goaltending? Year of the Chucky? BUG? Imports? Time to wake this board up.

The most glaring need is a middle pair for the defence imo. The pair could also be split to partner up with Jackson & Blonda.
I think the wolves should give Krawchuk & Gaulton 20-25 games. They at least deserves a chance.

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
The most glaring need is a middle pair for the defence imo. The pair could also be split to partner up with Jackson & Blonda.
I think the wolves should give Krawchuk & Gaulton 20-25 games. They at least deserves a chance.
I wouldn’t rule out Matteo Beites. 16 but has played at a high level on great teams the past 2 years. Not likely, but he could surprise…

Reactions: WE ARE WOLVES

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad