Sudbury Wolves 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Wolves are an extremely frustrating team to watch right now. Way too many passengers, leadership is lacking. They are capable of playing so much better.
In my opinion they aren't capable of playing better. Perhaps with a few key additions maybe.

The problem is the wolves 2nd and 3rd year players are just not good enough, period. I looked at the lineup today and I said to myself" you have a bunch of third line, forth line players from top to bottom. Soft spot for Levin but he's limited. On a good team third line player. IMO

Murray whom I've mentioned before, has very little compete to his game. He is who he is at this point. personally would move him at the deadline.

Re: deadline. Besides adding immediate talent, I'd def try and add a piece for next season. I'm not into fantasy trades so I won't go there. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

staubitz

Apr 30, 2015
If the Wolves are going to retain Byfield and load up, you would think they need to address the goaltender position as the first priority. Who is available who would be a sure thing, and what could it potentially cost? I've seen Ingham's name mentioned - is that just wishful thinking or is there a sense he will be available?

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
In my opinion they aren't capable of playing better. Perhaps with a few key additions maybe.

The problem is the wolves 2nd and 3rd year players are just not good enough, period. I looked at the lineup today and I said to myself" you have a bunch of third line, forth line players from top to bottom. Soft spot for Levin but he's limited. On a good team third line player. IMO

Murray whom I've mentioned before, has very little compete to his game. He is who he is at this point. personally would move him at the deadline.

Re: deadline. Besides adding immediate talent, I'd def try and add a piece for next season. I'm not into fancy trades so I won't go there. Just my opinion.

I would trade Murray in a heart beat if the right deal came along. Change of scenery type deal

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
The hate on Murray and Levin continues to be hilarious.

Two of our three best offensive players and they've had nothing but fans throwing them under the bus for their entire OHL careers.

Levin has 42 points in 31 games, which apparently makes him a 3rd liner on a good team.

Murray has 38 points in 36 games, but he's clearly dogging it and has no heart. Imagine if he did have heart? He'd be leading the OHL in scoring!

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
I would trade Murray in a heart beat if the right deal came along. Change of scenery type deal
Absolutely. Get back a nice young piece. Put Murray with someone who can feed him the puck. He sure isn't going to go get it. Sorry, just not a fan of his game.

Reactions: hockieguy

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010

Two of our three best offensive players and they've had nothing but fans throwing them under the bus for their entire OHL careers.

Levin has 42 points in 31 games, which apparently makes him a 3rd liner on a good team.

Murray has 38 points in 36 games, but he's clearly dogging it and has no heart. Imagine if he did have heart? He'd be leading the OHL in scoring!

You need to perhaps look at the bigger picture. You keep referring to stats. It's not the entire picture.

Reactions: hockieguy

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I want, but what are you willing to give up to acquire to load up :popcorn:
McCallum, Phillips, Samuelsson, all picks, Biondi, DeGrazia, Butler, Weeks/Purboo, Robinson/Hutcheson, anything but Byfield and Thompson (though I'd rather we hang onto Murray too)

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
I have been patiently waiting for management to tweak things and just like last year it will be last minute bargain shopping. I would like to throw it out there that this team was winning and players had chemistry before we started the play defense as forwards crap. I know Cub will defend the coaching and management until the cows come home but this is more about that then anything. Yeah yeah..it is the goaltending.. then do something about it...yeah yeah ..it is the defense..then do something about it. We need a euro super star..then do something about it...so sick of ripping into players when nothing is being done by management to change things. I like proactive decision making and not reactive decision making. At this point any decision making would be progress.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
The only good thing about this losing streak it will force Papineau hand to make some moves. Goaltending for me has to be addressed, can't go ahead with this goaltending tandem. I rather keep Weeks over Purboo. Purboo might be easier to move.

Besides that everyone is up for trade for me except Byfield and Thompson.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I have been patiently waiting for management to tweak things and just like last year it will be last minute bargain shopping. I would like to throw it out there that this team was winning and players had chemistry before we started the play defense as forwards crap. I know Cub will defend the coaching and management until the cows come home but this is more about that then anything. Yeah yeah..it is the goaltending.. then do something about it...yeah yeah ..it is the defense..then do something about it. We need a euro super star..then do something about it...so sick of ripping into players when nothing is being done by management to change things. I like proactive decision making and not reactive decision making. At this point any decision making would be progress.
Absolutely. The truth may hurt for some.

cub

Apr 11, 2012

I really think they don't feel like they need to panic because of the weak division and if they could make team better they would. I feel Papineau wanted to see what this team can do without Byfield, and see how the veteran group will respond. I think it will open some eyes and force the issue now, still lots of hockey left. If you don't have goaltending, you have nothing. I think Papineau being patient to see if one of these goalies can come out of it, but in reality doesn't look like it is going to happen. I be shock if it is not addressed. I will hold my judgement until now and trade deadline.

Reactions: howlman

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Papineau does not need to panic, he needed to have done something about the awful defence before it’s time to panic. He could have addressed D in the offseason with an OA D, he could have brought in a number of goaltenders no better than Purboo to see if that provides a spark, could have moved out some of the personnel that won’t/can’t play responsibly, or move on from the coach if he likes his players. Papineau has failed to do anything but watch his club sink

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
I really think they don't feel like they need to panic because of the weak division and if they could make team better they would. I feel Papineau wanted to see what this team can do without Byfield, and see how the veteran group will respond. I think it will open some eyes and force the issue now, still lots of hockey left. If you don't have goaltending, you have nothing. I think Papineau being patient to see if one of these goalies can come out of it, but in reality doesn't look like it is going to happen. I be shock if it is not addressed. I will hold my judgement until now and trade deadline.

Playing in a weaker division and struggling IS the reason you panic. If your only worried about your division, then winning the league isn’t something in your sights. If a GM can’t see that their team is a near .500 team in a weak division, then that GM should be GM of a beer league team. There are teams in the harder divisions 14 points ahead of the Wolves and acquiring a few players is not going to cut it. The “rebuild” was squashed last year because one goalie made management, players and fans believe the team was better then they really were.

The “tough” decisions are the ones that have to be made this year because of last years mistakes. Lukkonnen was best moved for picks and possibly players. That would have freed up assets to make deals this year to maximize Byfield’s awesome talent. There is no benefit to going to the second round to lose out, when a smart GM (Hunter) plans to win it all making smart tough moves.

what position would the Wolves be in this year, if Lukkonnen was moved for 3 or 4 picks and a solid young body last year? A goalie like Ingham wouldn’t be out of reach, or a player like Thomas or Noel.

What ended up happening is the GM panicked to ownership and fan pressure and now the team is paying by having to scramble to bandaid a “contender” together for a second round. I believe the smart move is to move Byfield to a legit contender and get the assets and give Byfield a real shot at a championship and men cup.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjhound

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
Playing in a weaker division and struggling IS the reason you panic. If your only worried about your division, then winning the league isn’t something in your sights. If a GM can’t see that their team is a near .500 team in a weak division, then that GM should be GM of a beer league team. There are teams in the harder divisions 14 points ahead of the Wolves and acquiring a few players is not going to cut it. The “rebuild” was squashed last year because one goalie made management, players and fans believe the team was better then they really were.

The “tough” decisions are the ones that have to be made this year because of last years mistakes. Lukkonnen was best moved for picks and possibly players. That would have freed up assets to make deals this year to maximize Byfield’s awesome talent. There is no benefit to going to the second round to lose out, when a smart GM (Hunter) plans to win it all making smart tough moves.

what position would the Wolves be in this year, if Lukkonnen was moved for 3 or 4 picks and a solid young body last year? A goalie like Ingham wouldn’t be out of reach, or a player like Thomas or Noel.

What ended up happening is the GM panicked to ownership and fan pressure and now the team is paying by having to scramble to bandaid a “contender” together for a second round. I believe the smart move is to move Byfield to a legit contender and get the assets and give Byfield a real shot at a championship and men cup.[/QUOT

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009

Murray does crap all to help in any other aspect of the game. I’ve been waiting for his all round game to arrive and it hasn’t changed since rookie season.

WJ

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
:popcorn::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu:

It’s not quite true that there is any “hate on” for Murray or Levin because someone doesn’t like them. I don’t like them either and agree with many of the comments. Murray is a lazy opportunistic player, and although Levin is having a better year, it is also about time as well. The amount of ice time and chances this player has received is ridiculous.

This season is a real GM killer if you ask me. Two years with the two best players in the league, and there has been no movement to potentially put the pieces together for a strong contender. This years position, make last years errors glaring.

These are just my opinions and I do expect back lash regarding these comments

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
:popcorn::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu:

It’s not quite true that there is any “hate on” for Murray or Levin because someone doesn’t like them. I don’t like them either and agree with many of the comments. Murray is a lazy opportunistic player, and although Levin is having a better year, it is also about time as well. The amount of ice time and chances this player has received is ridiculous.

This season is a real GM killer if you ask me. Two years with the two best players in the league, and there has been no movement to potentially put the pieces together for a strong contender. This years position, make last years errors glaring.

These are just my opinions and I do expect back lash regarding these comments

I will never know why Papineau didn’t start to make moves in early November. His lack of vision of what this team required to be better and stronger at deadline time will be the reason for early exit from the playoffs for this team. No way he constructs this team to beat Ottawa, Pete’s or anyone for that matter by January 10th.

0-6 without Byfield just awful. This teams confidence must be at an all time low.

WJ

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Stillman preached he would have a team that will
work hard every game. Might not win every game but will work hard and the effort would be there. That’s what his message was when he got hired! Well that is not happening and lots questions and pointing of fingers needs to happen now. This team has just ensured nobody big would want to come up here in a trade. Losing 6 with Byfield gone means we don’t have enough depth or strong players to win. And the fact is we won’t trade Byfield so really where does this organization go from here. Zulich has to get results from his staff as well and I think he isn’t getting it. Does our owner know enough to drop the hammer or does he stay away and continue to let these guys screw up another 4 years. As a fan I’m pissed off!

WJ

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
If your GM hadn't given up 4 picks (1 conditional) for Purboo, would he still be with the team? Very very average goalie who was outplayed by a kid plucked out of Rayside out of need due to injury. To just release him would be egg on GM's face!

Reactions: barclayplager
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad