Sudbury Wolves 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
not 100% sure but I was under the inpression its still Alain Valiquette?
Wonder if Buffalo was aware of this level of coaching with respect to their goalie prospect. Could they recall him if they feel he is not improving or learning with the coaching that is in place. They may feel down the road that getting him more experienced professional coaching might just be in their best interest going forward. Just a thought, not criticizing what is in place right now.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Wonder if Buffalo was aware of this level of coaching with respect to their goalie prospect. Could they recall him if they feel he is not improving or learning with the coaching that is in place. They may feel down the road that getting him more experienced professional coaching might just be in their best interest going forward. Just a thought, not criticizing what is in place right now.
He's here to stay, they can't recall a player in the CHL.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Just to be clear, yes they can. He was also drafted out of Europe, so they could even pull him up to the AHL at any point if they wanted to, although that won't happen
Nope. Once he's been assigned to the OHL, barring an emergency recall, he's there for the year, where he's drafted out of only effects the initial assignment.

As far as the game good, good effort by the players for the most part.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Glad McGrath got a win, hopefully that helps his confidence. Even happier since Im going to tomorrow's game and Ukko will almost certainly get the start.

So much for not being able to score. We as a community need to stop overreacting to small sample sizes. We had two bad games after a 6-2 start. It's hockey, these things happen. We're approaching the quarter mark of the season in a few weeks, and I think thats where we can start formulating valid viewpoints in the form of positives and negatives about this team.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Glad McGrath got a win, hopefully that helps his confidence. Even happier since Im going to tomorrow's game and Ukko will almost certainly get the start.

So much for not being able to score. We as a community need to stop overreacting to small sample sizes. We had two bad games after a 6-2 start. It's hockey, these things happen. We're approaching the quarter mark of the season in a few weeks, and I think thats where we can start formulating valid viewpoints in the form of positives and negatives about this team.

Yes nice to see the scoring yesterday, the potential is high if veterans, and development of young players come through. This team has to win by scoring by committee which not a bad thing. We don't have anyone in the top 40 in scoring, but the potential for some players to be at least in the top 20 is there, it all depends if these players break out. Yesterday was a good sign, lets hope it continues.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Yes nice to see the scoring yesterday, the potential is high if veterans, and development of young players come through. This team has to win by scoring by committee which not a bad thing. We don't have anyone in the top 40 in scoring, but the potential for some players to be at least in the top 20 is there, it all depends if these players break out. Yesterday was a good sign, lets hope it continues.

Agree. The top six is not yet capable of out playing that of at least half of the teams. But they are deeper than most, imo.
Next year though, the wolves could have 8 F that are 19 & 20; plus, Byfield, Murray, & Tabak; and, one high picked 16 yr old. It will have taken 5-6 long seasons; but that would be a pretty darn good F group, and should be good viewing.
If the opportunity is there in December to turn UPL & current D & even Carson into a top 18-19 yr old D that will be #1 next season, I hope it gets done.

MGOBlue

Aug 27, 2018

He has played solid in 4 of his 5 appearances this year.. and you can't really count the one Barrie game since the team didn't show up and hung him out to dry. I am sure his confidence is just fine.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
As his confidence builds so does his play improve. The boy hit an all time low last season and just could not pull out of it. As he matures and gets playing time I believe he will return to his true potential. Hockey Canada had him on their radar in his rookie season for a reason. Watch for Jake to steadily get back on track and could be a welcomed surprise this season.

Reactions: WaW and Lycanthrope

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
He has played solid in 4 of his 5 appearances this year.. and you can't really count the one Barrie game since the team didn't show up and hung him out to dry. I am sure his confidence is just fine.

Other then the first goal, the ones that beat McGrath he had little to no chance on. He played a strong game and has increased his value. We need another defenseman and preferably an OA upgrade on what we currently have.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
As his confidence builds so does his play improve. The boy hit an all time low last season and just could not pull out of it. As he matures and gets playing time I believe he will return to his true potential. Hockey Canada had him on their radar in his rookie season for a reason. Watch for Jake to steadily get back on track and could be a welcomed surprise this season.

I think McGrath can learn and be pushed by UPL. I noticed last few games his side to side movement, looking more like UPL, previous he was very stationary and blocking angles, with not much movement. Good to see McGrath coming around.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It’s not like McGrath was one of two G annually chosen with an early to middle 2nd round pick to build a team from the net out. He was projected to be a potentially good starter at 18-20, and a solid pick in the 6th or 8th round where he was taken. He still could reach those projections.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Agree. The top six is not yet capable of out playing that of at least half of the teams. But they are deeper than most, imo.
Next year though, the wolves could have 8 F that are 19 & 20; plus, Byfield, Murray, & Tabak; and, one high picked 16 yr old. It will have taken 5-6 long seasons; but that would be a pretty darn good F group, and should be good viewing.
If the opportunity is there in December to turn UPL & current D & even Carson into a top 18-19 yr old D that will be #1 next season, I hope it gets done.
And you can add Butler as well as any surprises to that list too, could be a real deep lineup. One more year, then we’ll be real contenders.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Hope so, would love to see it.

Reactions: WolvesFan

WaW

Mar 18, 2017

Im sure it is because I agree he was good in relief last weekend and in that first win. Just getting another W though can only help it more, that's all I was saying.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Solid game tonight. A good First period/ Second and Third period was similar by the Wolves conservative game. UPL with the SO, was solid again made some important stops when needed.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Okay, so we're twelve games in, I've seen a handful in person, I think I can formulate an opinion on some things...

1. Phillips is a real good one, a nice piece to have and I find him impressing me more every game.
  2. Thompson, real smart for a rookie. I like how he doesn't try and do to much and instead just makes sure he makes a play.
  3. Serentis was one awesome pick, the kid constantly works.
  4. I think I've gotten over the twins. I just don't think they bring the right elements anymore for this team. They bleed blue and white you can't deny that, but at this point they seem to be anchoring our team a little bit. If we could get value for them I would pull the trigger. We need goal scorers, and I think if you watch today's game, as several players said, the hitting element is all but gone and quite frankly there are better ways to fill their roster spots, I just don't know what they are.
  5. This power play needs work, it is the single most frustrating element on this team.
  6. I love Ukko, and McGrath isn't looking half bad either. For this reason, when the window opens to trade Ukko, I think we should pull the trigger (if we don't add a sniper/D). The value we could get from him would set us up great for next season which IMO is our best shot in recent memory. I know people are going to say why give up on our best shot for this season, but if we could get a great D or RW back it makes more sense for a 1 year player.
  7. I'd love a shooting RW and a D with a bomb from the point above all else.

Reactions: MGOBlue

WaW

Mar 18, 2017
Okay, so we're twelve games in, I've seen a handful in person, I think I can formulate an opinion on some things...

1. Phillips is a real good one, a nice piece to have and I find him impressing me more every game.
  2. Thompson, real smart for a rookie. I like how he doesn't try and do to much and instead just makes sure he makes a play.
  3. Serentis was one awesome pick, the kid constantly works.
  4. I think I've gotten over the twins. I just don't think they bring the right elements anymore for this team. They bleed blue and white you can't deny that, but at this point they seem to be anchoring our team a little bit. If we could get value for them I would pull the trigger. We need goal scorers, and I think if you watch today's game, as several players said, the hitting element is all but gone and quite frankly there are better ways to fill their roster spots, I just don't know what they are.
  5. This power play needs work, it is the single most frustrating element on this team.
  6. I love Ukko, and McGrath isn't looking half bad either. For this reason, when the window opens to trade Ukko, I think we should pull the trigger (if we don't add a sniper/D). The value we could get from him would set us up great for next season which IMO is our best shot in recent memory. I know people are going to say why give up on our best shot for this season, but if we could get a great D or RW back it makes more sense for a 1 year player.
  7. I'd love a shooting RW and a D with a bomb from the point above all else.

I agree on most points, but I thought the twins were pretty solid today. They worked their asses off in the defensive zone, were huge on the PK, and how about that chance Darian created for himself from nothing. We all know they aren't top 6 forwards, but they still do alot for this team.

I think the best way I can analyze their game today is that they had nothing to do with our 2 goals, and neither did they do much to give us a chance to add to those....But they were a big part of the reason we gave up 0 tonight. The debate about whether that is the kind of value you'd want from OA players is valid, but I certainly think they play a valuable role for this team.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I agree on most points, but I thought the twins were pretty solid today. They worked their asses off in the defensive zone, were huge on the PK, and how about that chance Darian created for himself from nothing. We all know they aren't top 6 forwards, but they still do alot for this team.

I think the best way I can analyze their game today is that they had nothing to do with our 2 goals, and neither did they do much to give us a chance to add to those....But they were a big part of the reason we gave up 0 tonight. The debate about whether that is the kind of value you'd want from OA players is valid, but I certainly think they play a valuable role for this team.

Agree. The top six would be nowhere near as effective if the twins were not there to disrupt the play of other teams top lines.
And I agree there are/were better OA available, particularly D that can improve the wolves now. The question is, would the cost in picks and lost opportunity for six D to prove they are the guys be worth it

Reactions: WaW

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
The Pilon /Bulitka line was a shut down line matched against their top line. Since Kingston's top scorer was held off the score board I would say that line was very effective. Darian played great tonight. Unfortunately, Drake appears to be battling a tough injury as he left the game early. Scoring always seems to be the only measure of success with our forwards and that shouldn't always be the case. Our top point getter is Levin and he frustrates me game after game. In fact he can single handedly destroy the power play by trying to skate through two, or three guys. He is now in his 4th year in the league. Scoring a highlight reel goal every now and then, but consistently losing the puck, passing to no one, etc just doesn't do it for me. I will say I appreciate the effort Niz has been putting out lately. He has been hustling more and trying to get back when mistakes are made . I agree on adding RW forward and would love to add stay at home defensemen that can make a good breakout pass. Both of which I am sure are in demand for most teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad