Stutzle or Byfield

Stutzle or Byfield, who will be the better player?

• Total voters

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
I do think Stutzle will be the better player, but I can't see LA really ever kicking themselves over things. Byfield is great.

As much as Byfield will benefit from physically maturing, I believe it might even be moreso the case for Stutzle. He has a very MacKinnon-like style to his game on his rushes, and he just needs that bit more man strength to muscle to the net.

Could be a big year for Stu.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I do think Stutzle will be the better player, but I can't see LA really ever kicking themselves over things. Byfield is great.

As much as Byfield will benefit from physically maturing, I believe it might even be moreso the case for Stutzle. He has a very MacKinnon-like style to his game on his rushes, and he just needs that bit more man strength to muscle to the net.

I do really like that violent skater mentality, I know what you mean re: MacKinnon

What I've liked from Byfield is not just the production but that he also seems to be getting madder and madder and sick of people's shit, the question was always would he ever add the use of his size/power to his game and that's starting to show up...when it does he looks unstoppable. And starting to take some ownership too.

I think Stutzle really came right in confidently and made it 'his' team while QB was a little more content to sit back and absorb for a bit but like you say I don't think LA can be too mad about it now with QB growing into it, he's slow-boiling and he added a lot more growth to his game in between the big flashes..eager to see what he does this year for an encore. It was interesting to see him be one of the only players in Anze's career to be a good complementary winger for him, moving him to C on his own line will be a huge step!

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
I do really like that violent skater mentality, I know what you mean re: MacKinnon

What I've liked from Byfield is not just the production but that he also seems to be getting madder and madder and sick of people's shit, the question was always would he ever add the use of his size/power to his game and that's starting to show up...when it does he looks unstoppable. And starting to take some ownership too.

I think Stutzle really came right in confidently and made it 'his' team while QB was a little more content to sit back and absorb for a bit but like you say I don't think LA can be too mad about it now with QB growing into it, he's slow-boiling and he added a lot more growth to his game in between the big flashes..eager to see what he does this year for an encore. It was interesting to see him be one of the only players in Anze's career to be a good complementary winger for him, moving him to C on his own line will be a huge step!
Both teams walk away from the draft with a 1C.

The upside from Byfield right now and at the time of the draft is still tantalizing. His ceiling is the sky, and the floor now isn’t a worry because he’s already become or about to be worthy of second overall.

Anything on top of what Byfield becomes is gravy, and that extra unicorn like factor as of right now has him more valuable to me.

Random Comment

Mar 5, 2018
Both teams walk away from the draft with a 1C.

The upside from Byfield right now and at the time of the draft is still tantalizing. His ceiling is the sky, and the floor now isn’t a worry because he’s already become or about to be worthy of second overall.

Anything on top of what Byfield becomes is gravy, and that extra unicorn like factor as of right now has him more valuable to me.
Why is his ceiling higher than Stutzle, who already has a much higher floor?

Random Comment

Mar 5, 2018
He has the ceiling to become a 100-110 point centre, I think Stützle has the same ceiling but Byfield has it in a bigger frame.
So far I’ve only seen one player that has come even remotely close to 100 point season. If Byfield had the skill of Stutzle in his frame I could see that 100+ potential, but he doesn’t.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Yeah I don't think Byfield ever comes close to 100pts. I do think this comparison still favors Stutzle by a good margin (especially considering he was playing injured most of last season) however as most suspected, Byfield was always going to take a bit longer to develop.

As a side note, I think people really underestimate Lafreniere, too. This was a pretty solid top 5 draft.

dabeechman

Sep 12, 2006
Sure, but Stutzle career high is still 19G higher, and the gap gets much larger when you add in assists.

Byfield still have a long way to go to catch Stutzle
The teams play different styles of hockey and Stutzle has been put into a better opportunities. I think with the year Byfield had in 2023, he'll be put into a similar role as Stutzle and we should get a good comparison of the two next season.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

I just think Stuetzle has more skill than Byfield, but both are going to be great.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
So far I’ve only seen one player that has come even remotely close to 100 point season. If Byfield had the skill of Stutzle in his frame I could see that 100+ potential, but he doesn’t.

Good ol low skill Byfield meme raises its head again for the first time in a while, great job

Guy was flashing it all year, if you can't see the potential, that's a you problem.

Reactions: ru4reals and Statto

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Stützle further along in his development, obviously. His floor is a 90 point centre, his ceiling is a complete force that scores 110+ points.

Byfield’s floor is a 55 point centre, his ceiling is a complete force that scores 110+ points in that frame of his.

Noting what Byfield can become if everything works out is not taking away from what Stützle already is and can become.

It’s not a slight at all to Jimmy to say that he has a similar ceiling to a forward that was drafted above him and is closer to reaching it.

I don’t know why you’re equating what is already done when we’re talking about ceilings that might not even be hit.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
The teams play different styles of hockey and Stutzle has been put into a better opportunities. I think with the year Byfield had in 2023, he'll be put into a similar role as Stutzle and we should get a good comparison of the two next season.
He was playing top line winger last year?

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022

Can't go wrong with either really.
I think Stu needs to cut that diving shit out of his game and if the sens become competitive he's gonna need to tighten up defensively without sacrificing his offensive game.

Byfield needs to continue to get better at using his size. If he does he could be a dominant player with his size and skill. I do worry a bit about his ability to process the game fast enough to take advantage of all the gifts he has. I do think tho unlike some where it's clearly hockey IQ like Virtanen, he just needs time if that makes sense?

Random Comment

Mar 5, 2018
Good ol low skill Byfield meme raises its head again for the first time in a while, great job

Guy was flashing it all year, if you can't see the potential, that's a you problem.

I didn’t say he didn’t have skill. Stutzle just has more. Grow up.

Stützle further along in his development, obviously. His floor is a 90 point centre, his ceiling is a complete force that scores 110+ points.

Byfield’s floor is a 55 point centre, his ceiling is a complete force that scores 110+ points in that frame of his.

Noting what Byfield can become if everything works out is not taking away from what Stützle already is and can become.

It’s not a slight at all to Jimmy to say that he has a similar ceiling to a forward that was drafted above him and is closer to reaching it.

I don’t know why you’re equating what is already done when we’re talking about ceilings that might not even be hit.
I actually misread your post. My bad.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
I didn’t say he didn’t have skill. Stutzle just has more. Grow up.

I actually misread your post. My bad.
I understand your point.

Game breaking talent > Size especially when the one with game breaking talent has shown more.

But we’re not talking about Logan Brown with Byfield here.

Ultimately I think Stützle becomes the better player, but both teams walk away laughing. I also think both players will fall within the same tier of players.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Random Comment

Mar 5, 2018
I understand your point.

Game breaking talent > Size especially when the one with game breaking talent has shown more.

But we’re not talking about Logan Brown with Byfield here.

Ultimately I think Stützle becomes the better player, but both teams walk away laughing. I also think both players will fall within the same tier of players.
Agree. Both are amazing talents and I hope Byfield takes the next step this year and sustains it throughout the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad