Player Discussion Stuart Skinner

MessierThanThou

Dec 10, 2010
Oil Country
We got further then I ever thought we would with Skinner in net, but I don't see a need to shit on him

He's the 2nd lowest paid starter in the playoffs after Talbot, he's inconsistent but generally is out performing his contract

We're comparing a 2.5m goalie to a 10m goalie in this series

If we want to be mad about it our ire should be directed at Holland and the Campbell contract moreso than Stu imo

We invest a ton of money in forwards and Nurse, they're MIA - when you're making the big bucks you deserve to get heat versus the guy getting paid peanuts

It's not so much shitting on Skinner as shitting on management for trusting an AHL goalie to be your starter. It's not like he can just will himself into being an elite goalie. He'll have the odd stretch of great play, but his ceiling is an NHL backup and right now his play and numbers would legitimately warrant a demotion to the AHL. Skinner is basically Andrew Hammond if they kept giving him chance after chance because of that one stretch of great play and totally ignored his collapses.

Last edited:

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Hi from Finland! There's a lot of Oilers supporters here and while there's still a chance it's been a succesful season and you can be proud of the team even if they lose in four games.

There was recently an article about Bobrovsky and a Finnish physical trainer Sami Karjalainen. I think there's some interesting things that might explain a part of the athletism Bobrovsky has. I immediately felt this Sami could be of help to Skinner. He works with many goalies so he's not tied to Bobrovsky or anyone.

I think the main quote is: You have to get the power out. We learn to produce force explosively even in changes of direction. All the exercises are done as if we were caught up in the game at the same time, he underlines.

At least I found this pretty interesting so here's most quotes auto translated:

- I wanted to see if Sam had anything to give me. I needed a new perspective on my injury-ravaged career. It had been claimed to me that Sami would know how to approach the training and the soul landscape in a special way, Bobrovski, 35, says now.

- Fortunately, I invited him. Sami immediately made an indelible impression.

- Sami awakened me to a new reality, says Bobrovski, who was also once chosen as the best goalkeeper at the World Cup (2014).

- I got an accurate idea of how my body should work if I wanted to continue my career at the top. Sami made me work in a new way. He also became my spiritual mentor.

- The human body is not designed for the butterfly position of the curlers. In my estimation, the vast majority of professional goalies will at some point develop some degree of osteoarthritis in either the hip or the knee - at least in the case that the body is not properly strengthened and maintained, says Karjalainen.

- Bobi is a good example that risks can be minimized. Before our cooperation, his groin broke three years in a pattern at the beginning of December, but since then he has not had any absences due to his own doing.

After that, Karjalainen focused on fighting for about 25 years, especially on the self-defense and combat sport called Han Moo Do. He sees great similarities between martial arts and hockey goaltending.

- Almost everything is common. The only clear difference is that in Martial Arts the purpose is also to attack at some point, while the goalies focus on adapting to situations and defending their territory, Karjalainen explains.

- Both in boxing and in martial arts, quick game reading, mobility and decision-making are required. In both cases, the readiness to play must always be maintained, even if the opponent is just preparing an attack or strike. You must always be able to play reactively. And the mental pressure does not leave alone for a moment.

- I specialize in goalkeepers, because I quickly noticed the shortcomings related to it. I had a strong feeling that, in general, goalkeepers did not have an understanding of correct strengthening of the body, explains Karjalainen.

- In the first conversation, Bobi asked what I had to offer him. I challenged Bob and told him nothing until I saw how he trained himself. We agreed that the first would be Bob's day and the second would be mine, Karjalainen explains.

- It became clear right away that Bobi focused relatively too much on strength training - and far too narrowly. His body was not ready to withstand the game load of the NHL's number one goalie and the quality skills set by the game.

Under his guidance, the goalies get "more sport-specific training" than usually in club training.

- Our training is more diverse and challenging than what is usually seen in the sport.

In Karjalainen's coaching, the focus is on strengthening the middle body and the muscles of the hip area in particular.

- You have to get the power out. We learn to produce force explosively even in changes of direction. All the exercises are done as if we were caught up in the game at the same time, he underlines.

- We do strength training with relatively small weights. We use various balance pillows to help us, among other things, because they help to keep our concentration in the moment. The focus is on high-quality repetitions and building a strong foundation.

- Goalie coaching is a whole, in which the mental aspect is the most decisive in any case. The most important thing is to get to know the person first, so that it would be easier to support them afterwards.

- Working with Sam was fun. He helped me understand that this profession is not all about training or competition. Rather, a lifestyle where, above all, your own insights help you develop, Bobrovski says.

- I understood that my groin injuries could be avoided with proper attention to the pelvic area. I realized that the better confidence I have in my body, the stronger my confidence.

Last edited:
Reactions: sepHF

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Hi from Finland! There's a lot of Oilers supporters here and while there's still a chance it's been a succesful season and you can be proud of the team even if they lose in four games.

There was recently an article about Bobrovski and a Finnish physical trainer Sami Karjalainen. I think there's some interesting things that might explain a part of the athletism Bobrovski has. I immediately felt this Sami could be of help to Skinner. He works with many goalies so he's not tied to Bobrovsky or anyone.

I think the main quote is: You have to get the power out. We learn to produce force explosively even in changes of direction. All the exercises are done as if we were caught up in the game at the same time, he underlines.

At least I found this pretty interesting so here's most quotes auto translated:

- I wanted to see if Sam had anything to give me. I needed a new perspective on my injury-ravaged career. It had been claimed to me that Sami would know how to approach the training and the soul landscape in a special way, Bobrovski, 35, says now.

- Fortunately, I invited him. Sami immediately made an indelible impression.

- Sami awakened me to a new reality, says Bobrovski, who was also once chosen as the best goalkeeper at the World Cup (2014).

- I got an accurate idea of how my body should work if I wanted to continue my career at the top. Sami made me work in a new way. He also became my spiritual mentor.

- The human body is not designed for the butterfly position of the curlers. In my estimation, the vast majority of professional goalies will at some point develop some degree of osteoarthritis in either the hip or the knee - at least in the case that the body is not properly strengthened and maintained, says Karjalainen.

- Bobi is a good example that risks can be minimized. Before our cooperation, his groin broke three years in a pattern at the beginning of December, but since then he has not had any absences due to his own doing.

After that, Karjalainen focused on fighting for about 25 years, especially on the self-defense and combat sport called Han Moo Do. He sees great similarities between martial arts and hockey goaltending.

- Almost everything is common. The only clear difference is that in Martial Arts the purpose is also to attack at some point, while the molars focus on adapting to situations and defending their territory, Karjalainen explains.

- Both in boxing and in martial arts, quick game reading, mobility and decision-making are required. In both cases, the readiness to play must always be maintained, even if the opponent is just preparing an attack or strike. You must always be able to play reactively. And the mental pressure does not leave alone for a moment.

- I specialize in goalkeepers, because I quickly noticed the shortcomings related to it. I had a strong feeling that, in general, goalkeepers did not have an understanding of correct strengthening of the body, explains Karjalainen.

- In the first conversation, Bobi asked what I had to offer him. I challenged Bob and told him not to do anything until I saw how he trained himself. We agreed that the first would be Bob's day and the second would be mine, Karjalainen explains.

- It became clear right away that Bobi focused relatively too much on strength training - and far too narrowly. His body was not ready to withstand the game load of the NHL's number one goalie and the quality skills set by the game.

Under his guidance, the goalies get "more sport-specific training" than usually in club training.

- Our training is more diverse and challenging than what is usually seen in the sport.

In Karelian coaching, the focus is on strengthening the middle body and the muscles of the hip area in particular.

- You have to get the power out. We learn to produce force explosively even in changes of direction. All the exercises are done as if we were caught up in the game at the same time, he underlines.

- We do strength training with relatively small weights. We use various balance pillows to help us, among other things, because they help to keep our concentration in the moment. The focus is on high-quality repetitions and building a strong foundation.

- Goalie coaching is a whole, in which the mental aspect is the most decisive in any case. The most important thing is to get to know the person first, so that it would be easier to support them afterwards.

- Working with Sam was fun. He helped me understand that this profession is not all about training or competition. Rather, a lifestyle where, above all, your own insights help you develop, Bobrovski says.

- I understood that my groin injuries could be avoided with proper attention to the pelvic area. I realized that the better confidence I have in my body, the stronger my confidence.

Thanks for that! Oilers need to invest in a goaltending dept. Skinner just isn’t an athletic goal
Like Bob is

Reactions: Whyme

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad