Player Discussion Stuart Skinner

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I mean we’ve gone over this enough times I think. You don’t think goalies should be expected to make challenging saves. Anything a shooter tutor wouldn’t save is a-okay by your standards.
I generally enjoy talking hockey with you but not when you makes things up.
I never said anything of the sort.
Of course he needs to make big saves and he has.

Has he done that enough...thats a legit talking point IMO. He hasnt done that enough.
He needs to be better.
So would I like to see him make more big saves...absolutely.

All I am saying is that I am not going to blame Skinner for things that arent necessarily his fault.

Most posters want to automatically blame Skinner for everything that gets past him.
I am not in that group.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'm far from a Skinner booster and while I feel he looked a bit shaky on both the goals against last night, and the lack of shots against both those games deflate the save %, he was good both games. The Canucks didn't get any decent volume but Skinner made some good saves on high danger chances both games.
I dont agree with you on those 2 goals in last nights game.
I am not a Skinner booster either but I am just not going to blame him for every puck that gets past him regardless of the circumstances.
I like to look at the goals and see who is really at fault. So that tends to prevent me from getting out the pitchfork every time the opposition scores a goal.

All that being said he does need to be better so we can probably agree on that.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Why is there even a debate between Pickard and Skinner at this point?

The Oilers played almost near flawlessly in game 6 and 7 and they played much worst in game 4 and 5 and Pickard came out with better numbers than Skinner

Heck, Pickard made more saves in game 5 alone than Skinner did in game 6 and 7 combined and came out with better numbers lol

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I dont agree with you on those 2 goals in last nights game.
I am not a Skinner booster either but I am just not going to blame him for every puck that gets past him regardless of the circumstances.
I like to look at the goals and see who is really at fault. So that tends to prevent me from getting out the pitchfork every time the opposition scores a goal.

All that being said he does need to be better so we can probably agree on that.

The first goal you could say that Desharnais could have made a better decision than passing to McLeod (even if the system apparently calls for it), and McLeod to not whiff on it, but Skinner wasn’t ready. It was a team effort on that f*** up but you can say he wasn’t primarily at fault.

The second goal you would say was whose fault exactly? I guess one could say Silovs gave up two similar long distance goals earlier. Blame the face off loss or Nuge getting deked? I don’t know. I just don’t see the need to absolve him here

The boys put on a clinic after that to ensure Skinner faced nothing

He will have to be sharper this coming series or we will see Pickard again

Reactions: TKB21

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
But again, freebie goal against. It’s no different than the Ryan McLeod blunder. Different goalie, same result.
My point is the team will give up some oopsies. (Like every team) If you save some and save what you should you will still put up decent numbers.

Pickard

If you don’t save any oopsies and also don’t save what you should you will put up terrible numbers.

Skinner.

It’s not different goalie, same result. It’s different goalie and way better results.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canovin

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
But he still gave up a goal on an egregious turnover in the Oilers end.
I don’t think anyone is arguing that our players don’t give up HD chances, what you’re failing to acknowledge is that we actually give up less HD chances against but are getting less HD saves then other teams. All one has to do is watch other games played and see some turnovers and monster saves the other goalies are making on those turnovers. Skinner is very unlikely to bail the team out and his numbers prove that point.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I don’t think anyone is arguing that our players don’t give up HD chances, what you’re failing to acknowledge is that we actually give up less HD chances against but are getting less HD saves then other teams. All one has to do is watch other games played and see some turnovers and monster saves the other goalies are making on those turnovers. Skinner is very unlikely to bail the team out and his numbers prove that point.
But not all high danger chances are the same. It's a blanket stat. Egregious turnovers will kill any team. We're not talking about a missed check or failing to tie up a stick, we're talking about a 10 bell f***up that would probably see players benched.

Also worth noting is that the Canucks actually had the higher xGF in game 7 despite how the Oilers played.

Ryan McLeod has had an abysmal playoffs and it really isn't talked about enough.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Grant Fuhrs numbers weren’t great but he’s got a fist full of rings that say you don’t have to be perfect to win
Unfortunately Skinner is not Grant Fuhr.

Fuhr was one of the most athletic goaltenders of his generation before this attribute became a necessity with modern era goaltending. He was also super elite mental strength, resiliency, coping, and grit. Regular season Dynasty Oilers would all jump into the attack leaving Fuhr to mind home plate. They had unshakeable confidence in him though it hurts Fuhr's numbers. But come playoff time Fuhr was elite notably outduelling Mike Vernon in tight Battle of Alberta series between two juggernaut teams.

Skinner hasn't yet proven himself as a playoff goaltender. Especially early this second go around where he was a major, negative component of the Canucks series which put their teams on the ropes with below mediocre play. Downright ugly stats despite the team in front largely dictating and controlling play. And those first two rounds were duelling recycle veterans and the rawest of raw rookies. Now comes a massive test against a very strong Dallas team that has a very good goaltender. It's proving time for Skinner who will have to be more than adequate to win.

Reactions: Oilhawks and TB12

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Why is there even a debate between Pickard and Skinner at this point?

The Oilers played almost near flawlessly in game 6 and 7 and they played much worst in game 4 and 5 and Pickard came out with better numbers than Skinner

Heck, Pickard made more saves in game 5 alone than Skinner did in game 6 and 7 combined and came out with better numbers lol
Pickard is the backup and was an AHL goalie for a reason. When Skinner is on his game he is the better goalie. (he definitely has major consistency issues)

People on this board just seem to hate Skinner. Lot's of you guys stuck your neck out and pretty much guaranteed he wouldn't see the net again. Here we are. Lot's of you guys said we were doomed in game 6 with Skinner starting and here we are.

There is just a weird negative narrative around Skinner.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Isn't this expected tho? We know our team strength is far from goaltending.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Pickard is the backup and was an AHL goalie for a reason. When Skinner is on his game he is the better goalie. (he definitely has major consistency issues)

People on this board just seem to hate Skinner. Lot's of you guys stuck your neck out and pretty much guaranteed he wouldn't see the net again. Here we are. Lot's of you guys said we were doomed in game 6 with Skinner starting and here we are.

Problem is he is rarely on his game in the playoffs though.

I don’t hate Skinner, I hate his 881 sv%.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Problem is he is rarely on his game in the playoffs though.

I don’t hate Skinner, I hate his 881 sv%.
Yes, he's a really good backup, who would be excellent playing 20-30 games a year. But he's not consistent enough and has exhibited a consistent pattern of crumbling under pressure two playoffs in a row.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012

Of course there is a negative narrative around Skinner, has he given a single reason to be optimistic?

KCC

Aug 15, 2007

No, people hate on this board because dating back to last playoffs his save percentage has been dreadful. Pulled 3 times against Vegas last year and pulled once in this series and blew 2 other games, almost blowing game 7 as well. And it's not like he has had to stand on his head. He's been very sheltered. He is the reason the last series went 7 games. It should have realistically been a sweep. Of the 4 remaining goalies he's by far the worst. If this dude gets lit up like a Christmas tree against Dallas maybe you will finally realize just how bad he is.

Reactions: brentashton

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The first goal you could say that Desharnais could have made a better decision than passing to McLeod (even if the system apparently calls for it), and McLeod to not whiff on it, but Skinner wasn’t ready. It was a team effort on that f*** up but you can say he wasn’t primarily at fault.

The second goal you would say was whose fault exactly? I guess one could say Silovs gave up two similar long distance goals earlier. Blame the face off loss or Nuge getting deked? I don’t know. I just don’t see the need to absolve him here

The boys put on a clinic after that to ensure Skinner faced nothing

He will have to be sharper this coming series or we will see Pickard again
The first goal was a perfect shot. Right above the pad and just below the glove. The exact place a shooter wants to put a puck so sometimes you just have to give props to the shooter.
The 2nd goal had 3 players in front of Skinner and that play was possible because RNH followed Hughges into the corner and left a huge gap and shooting lane for the Canucks player. Couple that with the 3 player screen in front of Skinner and the Canucks score.
Coulc Skinner have managed the screen in front of him better? Sure...I guess so.
Was the goal his fault.
No is wasnt IMO.

Like I said I am not going to jump on the trash Skinner bandwagon for every goal that gets past him. Having said that I would like to see him stop more pucks that look like sure goals.
I would also expect him to be more consistent against Dallas.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Skinner needs to be much better. The better posts will follow.
Of course Skinner needs to be better. I have been saying that all along.
That said there is no excusing that post. It probably didnt even deserve a response.
He/She was just trolling me.

I appreciate your humor though. :D

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Outsider, but hard on the bandwagon opinion... I have tried to support Skinner, because he really is a battler and seems like he has the mentality for it in interviews, but I think there's no denying it's a bit of a leaky ship for him in the playoffs and he doesn't rival the other 3 guys left. Most teams don't have better, but unfortunately, at this stage those teams have been weeded out, likely in part because they weren't able to overcome it as well as the Oilers have. It seems hard to deny that this is a legitimate handicap for the Oilers, but he can minimize it by just playing to the ability he does have and stop playing below it in the playoffs. He can give .905 and be more consistent. I don't expect more at this point, but if he can give that, I think it's enough.

As a Senators fan, he's still put up better numbers than anyone we've had in about a decade, other than maybe a short spurt or 2, and there's really only 5-10 really good ones in the league, so its not an easy upgrade to find, and not everyone has a Vezina caliber Silovs waiting in the wings. Seems like some teams are drowning in goalie talent while some struggle year after year.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad