Player Discussion Stuart Skinner

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Doing his part would have seen this game 1-1 into OT. Would they have won? Who knows.

The team as a whole didn’t have it last night. But that doesn’t excuse a bad goal against in a game where Florida generated basically nothing the entire game.
True.

I just knew with one goal we weren’t winning. Such as life.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
We lost the series on an absolute shit game by Skinner in game 3. Thats why we were forced to the brink. Oilers were better club in game 3 and 4 and should have had both those results. If the rest of the games go to form we would've won in 6.

Skinner caused the Vancouver series to be 7 games instead of say 4-5 and was complete shit in that series. Its hard for a team to have to keep salvaging what they have in net. A team like the Rangers went all the way to conference final only due to Shesterkin and getting outplayed almost every night.

The Oilers have to be perfect 9/10X to get W's Very rarely are games stolen. The Dallas game 6 was. That was it.

look who Bobo is facing Genius. Bobo also had to suffer through two complete junk performances from the team in front of him.

This is exactly what I told my wife last night. Skinner is the biggest reason for the series loss, not a single doubt in my mind. He lost 2 games for us (games 3 and 7) and won 1 game for us (game 4, I know we killed them, but Skinner was REALLY good that game when it was still close, and deserves a lot of praise for that game). So due to our own goaltending, we were -1 games on the series. That is somewhat important in a 7 game series.

This team was built to outscore a bad goal here or there, and couldn't get it done last night. We didn't get a single puck bounce, or much in the way of calls last night as rugby-hockey was in full effect, which benefits Florida more than us, but we didn't get 1 more save from our goalie either. So yeah, we can say that the team should have scored more, but its just as valid to say that Skinner needs, absolutely NEEDS, to have that save. It was a very weak goal, full stop, and anybody saying otherwise is kidding themselves.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
In the 4 Ls this series the Oilers scored 5 goals. Their stars went completely silent in key moments. Their PP sucked.

Say it's 1-1 last night. Then what? We still scored 1 goal. They looked nervous for most of the game with plenty of own zone turnovers and lifeless offensive play. They only started to turn it up in the third when they were losing.

Yeah the team wasn't good last nigh, no doubt, but neither was Skinner. It's not like this was the first time this series that he has been bad either, as he lost us game 3.

I don't think he's a terrible goalie, I think he is slightly below average overall in fact. I just don't think you can win a cup with him in net.

To be honest, that doesn't much matter though, as this team isn't winning a cup with this core. We are the oldest team in the league already, and will obviously be even older next season. RNH, Hyman, Ekblad, and Kane are all past their "best before dates", and even McDrai are getting up there. Last night was our best chance and the coin flip didn't work out in our favor, it happens.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Most of the board are incapable of multifaceted discussion.

Despite McDrai's overall wonderful playoff runs, fact of the matter is that while Skinner let in that weak goal in game 7, neither of them produced. It was a team failure from top to bottom. The two best forwards, injured or not, failed to do anything of note in game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. Our defencemen let us down as expected, our goalie let us down as expected, and our star forwards surprisingly also let us down.

Part of me is delusionally hopeful enough that this is McDavid's 'walk past the Islanders dressing room' moment, however Gretzky was what, 20 at the time that happened? McDavid is almost 30 now and this very well may be the closest he ever comes. We must come to terms with that. A historic playoff run for him couldn't put them over the top. He had to play better in game 7, and that will haunt him until he wins one.

McDavid might win a cup, but it won't be with this team in all likelihood. We are already an old team and will be older next year. Unless the new GM can come in and completely retool the team (somehow trade Nurse, buyout Campbell, likely trade Drai for a young package, etc), but that is very unlikely. There is a small chance that Drai stays, and maybe McDrai are both healthy next playoffs and can put the team on their backs for one more run, but it isn't likely at all.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
This is exactly what I told my wife last night. Skinner is the biggest reason for the series loss, not a single doubt in my mind. He lost 2 games for us (games 3 and 7) and won 1 game for us (game 4, I know we killed them, but Skinner was REALLY good that game when it was still close, and deserves a lot of praise for that game). So due to our own goaltending, we were -1 games on the series. That is somewhat important in a 7 game series.

This team was built to outscore a bad goal here or there, and couldn't get it done last night. We didn't get a single puck bounce, or much in the way of calls last night as rugby-hockey was in full effect, which benefits Florida more than us, but we didn't get 1 more save from our goalie either. So yeah, we can say that the team should have scored more, but its just as valid to say that Skinner needs, absolutely NEEDS, to have that save. It was a very weak goal, full stop, and anybody saying otherwise is kidding themselves.
Agreed with most except game 4. I don't feel as if Skinner had to be anyting in that 8-1 W. Florida after 5mins didn't have it going that night.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
wow, people saying Skinner lost us game 7 with 2GA while none of the big guns pissed a drop is absolute clown shoes. The irrational hate on from whiners here has no boundaries. Skinner was a straight up hero for this team once again this year. Local Guy comes in as a league min rookie and saves our bacon, saves our bacon as a sophomore and has a 9-1 record in games 4-7 of series and people just hate him. Ugly.

Skinner isn't a 10 million dollar goalie like Bob, but McDrai are 20 million dollars worth of players. Expecting to win the cup with 1 goal is delusional.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
He made a key save when it was 2-1 that would've made it 2-2.
I think that was the one on Verhaege who instead of going shortside shot the puck right into middle of net where Skinner was able to get across to it. Good save but frankly terrible finish on that one. Panthers had two shots like that in the game that were blown.

But in anycase goalies are there to make big stops. The role is to make half a dozen huge stops a night really. Or at least thats the job description for usual contending clubs.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I think that was the one on Verhaege who instead of going shortside shot the puck right into middle of net where Skinner was able to get across to it. Good save but frankly terrible finish on that one. Panthers had two shots like that in the game that were blown.

But in anycase goalies are there to make big stops. The role is to make half a dozen huge stops a night really. Or at least thats the job description for usual contending clubs.
He still stopped the puck and made a huge stop that might've not only turned the game but the series. Panthers score there and they probably win the game.

In Games 4-7, he was 11-1 with a .930 something save pct.
Where do you people come up with this riduclousness?

I think I need to take a break from this board for a while, it's gotten looney in here more than usual.
I feel bad for him, guy gets all the blame when we lose and none of the credit when we win.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
wow, people saying Skinner lost us game 7 with 2GA while none of the big guns pissed a drop is absolute clown shoes. The irrational hate on from whiners here has no boundaries. Skinner was a straight up hero for this team once again this year. Local Guy comes in as a league min rookie and saves our bacon, saves our bacon as a sophomore and has a 9-1 record in games 4-7 of series and people just hate him. Ugly.

Skinner isn't a 10 million dollar goalie like Bob, but McDrai are 20 million dollars worth of players. Expecting to win the cup with 1 goal is delusional.
Heres a thing. Different things can be true. Florida front ran the game all day due to getting better goaltending. Its harder to come from behind in SC final game 7's. Actually it rarely happens. One of the only clubs to ever Win a game 7 in SC final after falling behind were the Oilers in 87. Most losing teams in SC final game 7's average LESS than a goal. As incredible as that may sound.

The story, in nearly every SC final 7th game ever is one goalie being hot and unbeatable. Thats what history tells us.

Its clownshoes to blame the best hockey player in the world for the travesty of this club being saddled with ordinary goaltending the entire length of the McDrai wasted arc here.

Reactions: TB12

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Heres a thing. Different things can be true. Florida front ran the game all day due to getting better goaltending. Its harder to come from behind in SC final game 7's. Actually it rarely happens. One of the only clubs to ever Win a game 7 in SC final after falling behind were the Oilers in 87. Most losing teams in SC final game 7's average LESS than a goal. As incredible as that may sound.

The story, in nearly every SC final 7th game ever is one goalie being hot and unbeatable. Thats what history tells us.

Its clownshoes to blame the best hockey player in the world for the travesty of this club being saddled with ordinary goaltending the entire length of the McDrai wasted arc here.
But in 3 of the 4 games in Florida they scored 1 or 0 goals.

Reactions: oilers'72

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Yeah the team wasn't good last nigh, no doubt, but neither was Skinner. It's not like this was the first time this series that he has been bad either, as he lost us game 3.

I don't think he's a terrible goalie, I think he is slightly below average overall in fact. I just don't think you can win a cup with him in net.

To be honest, that doesn't much matter though, as this team isn't winning a cup with this core. We are the oldest team in the league already, and will obviously be even older next season. RNH, Hyman, Ekblad, and Kane are all past their "best before dates", and even McDrai are getting up there. Last night was our best chance and the coin flip didn't work out in our favor, it happens.
My exact thoughts, last night was a great example, that when the margin for error is so slim in a close game, he just cannot let that 2nd goal in, Bobo or even any other above average goalie would of likely saved it

Reactions: TB12

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
My exact thoughts, last night was a great example, that when the margin for error is so slim in a close game, he just cannot let that 2nd goal in, Bobo or even any other above average goalie would of likely saved it
This x1000

Can't let that shortside goal in to lose the f***ing Cup.

• Love

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

I think I need to take a break from this board for a while, it's gotten looney in here more than usual.

Did he win or did he lose?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
But in 3 of the 4 games in Florida they scored 1 or 0 goals.
Against elite goaltending on slush ice where it prevents making great plays and wherein you HAVE to make exceptional plays to beat Bobo its pretty tough task. None of the other clubs succeeded either.

All Florida have to do to beat Skinner is get off an open unscreened 75mph shot. Florida barely got chances, maybe 4, and scored 2 goals. The Oilers had higher expected goals in game and were stoned by an elite goalie.

Again goalie trumps all in hockey. Its just the nature of the sport. The best players in the history of the game can be stoned silly by elite goaltending. Especially in Game 7 Finals where one team getting stoned has always been the case.

Reactions: TB12 and Zguy370

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG

It's a game of inches that we could have easily won with one or two bounces going our way, but people are so eager to bring their knives out to blame their whipping boys afterwards. Pretty peak HFOil.

Reactions: oilers'72 and rec28

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Against elite goaltending on slush ice where it prevents making great plays and wherein you HAVE to make exceptional plays to beat Bobo its pretty tough task. None of the other clubs succeeded either.

All Florida have to do to beat Skinner is get off an open unscreened 75mph shot. Florida barely got chances, maybe 5, and scored 2 goals. The Oilers had higher expected goals in game and were stoned by an elite goalie.
And his apologists on here, swear he should of won the Conn Smyth

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017

All Florida have to do to beat Skinner is get off an open unscreened 75mph shot. Florida barely got chances, maybe 4, and scored 2 goals. The Oilers had higher expected goals in game and were stoned by an elite goalie.

Again goalie trumps all in hockey. Its just the nature of the sport. The best players in the history of the game can be stoned silly by elite goaltending. Especially in Game 7 Finals where one team getting stoned has always been the case.

I mean Draisaitl coulda tried hitting the net for once?

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Florida clamped up after they took the lead. It's no different than what we've done most of the season.

I'm sorry but excuses are excuses. The Oilers found a way every single time this year except unfortunately the one time they needed it most. I'm sure the ice sucked in LA and Dallas as well and they still found a way.

And his apologists on here, swear he should of won the Conn Smyth
No.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad